PlowKing

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hey all,

I just finished a new PC build for a friend opening up a small business. I also networked his other two machines and set up file sharing within the LAN, which basically takes me to the limit of my networking abilities.

The new build will house all of the essential files and documents, and he would like to allow himself and his partners 24/7 access to this box. This is where I run into problems, as I'm not sure how to do this.

Remote Desktop and applications such as teamviewer would work, but we don't want to allow total access/control to the new box. Long story short, what is going to be my best bet for sharing only one drive or partition to the outside world?

Once I have a suggestion or two, I can do the leg work and research the how to portion.

Thanks for any replies!

PlowKing

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks, Hawkeye.

I thought about that, but I don't think file transfer over RD is practical/possibe, am I incorrect?

I also thought about using an FTP server, but have had issues in the past with being behind routers and using passive/active, etc.

Sure, you can transfer files. Before you connect via remote desktop, click the options button. Where it lists local devices and resources, check off the drive you want to use. If you don't see it, click the "more" button and you should see the drives. This will make it look as if these drives are part of that system and you will be able to drag (or copy/paste) and drop files normally. You can also make local printers available so that you can print a document on your remote PC to your local printer.

Personally I would setup a VPN in this situation.

I think that may be a little too hard for him. There is very litle configuration for remote desktop and remote desktop does uses encrypted connections.

PlowKing

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I wouldnt worry about the difficulty, once I know what the best method is, I'll be more than capable of figuring out how. Not trying to brag, but there is enough info out there to teach yourself just about anything. I simply need some experienced opinions on what the best approach is for the given situation. If setting up a VPN is the best way, then that is what I'll do.

Thanks again for the input guys.