Good Automobile Programs??

May 13, 2004 5:39:16 PM

Hello All,

Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
(repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
Pocket Quicken).

Any thoughts on what to check out?

Thanks

--Andrew
Zire 31, OS5
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:50:33 PM

Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Andrew said:

; Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
; seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
; if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
; (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
; or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
; Pocket Quicken).
;
; Any thoughts on what to check out?

Check out TealAuto from TealPoint (www.tealpoint.com). Not free, no PC
side that I know of. Tracks fuel use in volume, efficiency, price,
brand, and grade. Tacks mileage by absolute (main odometer) or
relative (trip meter since last fillup). Distance logs, for trips,
work, whatever. Tracks and schedules service and maintenance.
Provides on-Palm reports, and supports multiple vehicles. The reports
can be printed via Prinboy, etc, or exported to memopad, csv, or Palm
doc.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"They misunderestimated me." George W. Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov.
6, 2000
May 13, 2004 7:16:18 PM

Hello Jeffrey,

JK> Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Andrew said:

JK> ; Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
JK> ; seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
JK> ; if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
JK> ; (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
JK> ; or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
JK> ; Pocket Quicken).
JK> ;
JK> ; Any thoughts on what to check out?

JK> Check out TealAuto from TealPoint (www.tealpoint.com). Not free, no PC
JK> side that I know of. Tracks fuel use in volume, efficiency, price,
JK> brand, and grade. Tacks mileage by absolute (main odometer) or
JK> relative (trip meter since last fillup). Distance logs, for trips,
JK> work, whatever. Tracks and schedules service and maintenance.
JK> Provides on-Palm reports, and supports multiple vehicles. The reports
JK> can be printed via Prinboy, etc, or exported to memopad, csv, or Palm
JK> doc.

Thanks! That really looks EXACTLY like what I was hoping for,
gas/mileage, trips, service and expenses, and configurable repeating
for scheduled maintenance.....

This looks really sweet.

<DocSnip>
Services can also be assigned a repeating time or mileage interval, so
TealAuto can remind you when regular maintenance is due.
</<DocSnip>

The Meter Minder never occurred to me, but will be VERY useful.
Ahhh... to be prompted to run out and insert that extra quarter!

--Andrew
Related resources
May 13, 2004 10:10:26 PM

Hello Adam,

AH> "Andrew" <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Jeffrey,
>>
>> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 2:50:33 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> JK> Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Andrew said:
>>
>> JK> ; Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
>> JK> ; seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
>> JK> ; if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
>> JK> ; (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
>> JK> ; or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
>> JK> ; Pocket Quicken).
>> JK> ;
>> JK> ; Any thoughts on what to check out?
>>
>> JK> Check out TealAuto from TealPoint (www.tealpoint.com). Not free, no PC
>> JK> side that I know of. Tracks fuel use in volume, efficiency, price,
>> JK> brand, and grade. Tacks mileage by absolute (main odometer) or
>> JK> relative (trip meter since last fillup). Distance logs, for trips,
>> JK> work, whatever. Tracks and schedules service and maintenance.
>> JK> Provides on-Palm reports, and supports multiple vehicles. The reports
>> JK> can be printed via Prinboy, etc, or exported to memopad, csv, or Palm
>> JK> doc.
>>

>> Thanks! That really looks EXACTLY like what I was hoping for,
>> gas/mileage, trips, service and expenses, and configurable repeating
>> for scheduled maintenance.....
>>
>> This looks really sweet.

AH> When you're used it for a while can you post a review?

Sure.... there seems to be a lot going on with it so there is some
learning curve (the manual is close to 40 pp.) but there is a 30-day
trial version from the link Jeffrey provided: www.tealpoint.com

I'll use the full 30 days and then fork over the 20 bucks to keep the
addiction going....

--Andrew
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 1:41:23 AM

"Andrew" <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Hello Jeffrey,
>
> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 2:50:33 PM, you wrote:
>
> JK> Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Andrew said:
>
> JK> ; Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
> JK> ; seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
> JK> ; if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
> JK> ; (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
> JK> ; or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
> JK> ; Pocket Quicken).
> JK> ;
> JK> ; Any thoughts on what to check out?
>
> JK> Check out TealAuto from TealPoint (www.tealpoint.com). Not free, no PC
> JK> side that I know of. Tracks fuel use in volume, efficiency, price,
> JK> brand, and grade. Tacks mileage by absolute (main odometer) or
> JK> relative (trip meter since last fillup). Distance logs, for trips,
> JK> work, whatever. Tracks and schedules service and maintenance.
> JK> Provides on-Palm reports, and supports multiple vehicles. The reports
> JK> can be printed via Prinboy, etc, or exported to memopad, csv, or Palm
> JK> doc.
>

> Thanks! That really looks EXACTLY like what I was hoping for,
> gas/mileage, trips, service and expenses, and configurable repeating
> for scheduled maintenance.....
>
> This looks really sweet.

When you're used it for a while can you post a review?
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 4:36:28 AM

I've been using a program called Auto Base. It's not as fancy as TealAuto
but it does what I need it to do. Also it's freeware so the price is right.
It can do trips, fuel, maintenance, calculate cost and mileage and export to
a memo which can be transfered to a PC and pulled into Excel or whatever.

Do a Google search for a download site.

Cheers
TC

> Hello Adam,
>
> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 5:41:23 PM, you wrote:
>

> AH> "Andrew" <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in
message

I've

Palm

> >> Thanks! That really looks EXACTLY like what I was hoping for,
> >> gas/mileage, trips, service and expenses, and configurable repeating
> >> for scheduled maintenance.....
> >>
> >> This looks really sweet.
>
> AH> When you're used it for a while can you post a review?
>

> Sure.... there seems to be a lot going on with it so there is some
> learning curve (the manual is close to 40 pp.) but there is a 30-day
> trial version from the link Jeffrey provided: www.tealpoint.com
>
> I'll use the full 30 days and then fork over the 20 bucks to keep the
> addiction going....
>

> --Andrew

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 5:17:15 AM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 13:39:16 -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Hello All,

> Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
> seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
> if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
> (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
> or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
> Pocket Quicken).

> Any thoughts on what to check out?

I've used KarKare since I first had a PalmPilot Professional. I like
it, but I haven't investigated alternatives since that time.

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/6608/

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

Andrew <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:<c80bs6$get$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>...
> Hello All,
>
> Know there are many programs for tracking automobile expenses and I've
> seen a few that combined together might be nice, but I was wondering
> if someone knew of an overall good auto program, track expenses
> (repairs, etc), mpg, mileage, maintenance schedules, etc. Can be free
> or fee, Just Palm or PC with Palm interface too (like MobileDB or
> Pocket Quicken).
I've been using AutoBase for years. Not sure if it's the best, but I
thought it was at the time or I wouldn't have bought it.
I could be better. I works fine for me.
Not sure if it's even still available.

Shawn
May 14, 2004 7:17:31 AM

Try freeware Autobuddy. see http://www.freewarepalm.com.

--

Nic.
May 14, 2004 12:39:11 PM

Hello Tony,

TC> I've been using a program called Auto Base. It's not as fancy as TealAuto
TC> but it does what I need it to do. Also it's freeware so the price is right.
TC> It can do trips, fuel, maintenance, calculate cost and mileage and export to
TC> a memo which can be transfered to a PC and pulled into Excel or whatever.

TC> Do a Google search for a download site.

TC> Cheers
TC> TC

TC> "Andrew" <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> Hello Adam,
>>
>> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 5:41:23 PM, you wrote:
>>

>> AH> "Andrew" <I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net> wrote in
TC> message

TC> I've
TC> wondering
TC> free

TC> no PC
TC> reports
TC> Palm

>> AH> When you're used it for a while can you post a review?
>>

>> Sure.... there seems to be a lot going on with it so there is some
>> learning curve (the manual is close to 40 pp.) but there is a 30-day
>> trial version from the link Jeffrey provided: www.tealpoint.com
>>
>> I'll use the full 30 days and then fork over the 20 bucks to keep the
>> addiction going....
>>

>> --Andrew

This looks right too. I'll download it and check it out.

Thanks Everybody!

--Andrew
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 9:44:21 PM

On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:39:11 -0400
Andrew ( I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net )
wrote

> Hello Tony,
>
> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 8:36:28 PM, you wrote:

snip

> >> Sure.... there seems to be a lot going on with it so there is some
> >> learning curve (the manual is close to 40 pp.) but there is a 30-day
> >> trial version from the link Jeffrey provided: www.tealpoint.com
> >>
> >> I'll use the full 30 days and then fork over the 20 bucks to keep the
> >> addiction going....
> >>

> >> --Andrew
> >>

> This looks right too. I'll download it and check it out.
>
> Thanks Everybody!

I've been using Tealauto for a while now and it is a great program. The
only drawback is a limited ability to record the purpose of a trip.
There is one little line for notes, which fills the purpose, but it
would be good to have an editable pop up menu like some other programs
do. Still, the program makes up in other ways, particularly the ability
to give warnings of services due, and a running record of fuel economy.
The parking meter alarm is a cute idea, but I must admit, I never use
it.
June 1, 2004 5:22:03 PM

Hello Alan,

Saturday, May 15, 2004, 1:44:21 AM, you wrote:

AB> On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:39:11 -0400
AB> Andrew ( I_dont_like_ham_@_or_spam_thanks.NOSPAM.net )
AB> wrote

>> Hello Tony,
>>
>> Thursday, May 13, 2004, 8:36:28 PM, you wrote:
>>
AB> snip

AB> snip

>> This looks right too. I'll download it and check it out.
>>
>> Thanks Everybody!

AB> I've been using Tealauto for a while now and it is a great program. The
AB> only drawback is a limited ability to record the purpose of a trip.
AB> There is one little line for notes, which fills the purpose, but it
AB> would be good to have an editable pop up menu like some other programs
AB> do. Still, the program makes up in other ways, particularly the ability
AB> to give warnings of services due, and a running record of fuel economy.
AB> The parking meter alarm is a cute idea, but I must admit, I never use
AB> it.

As promised, a review. Looks like I will be buying TealAuto when my
trial expires...

I liked some of the other programs mentioned in this thread, but the
bells & whistles of this program edged the competition out for me.
Neatly programmed, good UI, and there is room for more info on the
trips in the latest version. Right next to the one little line is a
"memo" icon: click it and write to your heart's content.

There's a trial download, so ya all feel free to try it out too.

Actually, poked around to see if there were any PC-based programs,
same theme, and their UI's were confusing and not as neat as
TealAuto's. Teal should really consider creating a PC-portion of this
program for their users (one that will operate stand alone and in
conjunction with the Palm version).

The only thing I didn't like were the limited printing options (as
provided through TealPrint), though you can export text reports as
text (memo) or CSV (memo).

--Andrew
!