Wireless Adapter PCI vs USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexuslotus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I live in a 2 stories 3 bedroom house. My wireless router is located in the 2nd floor, and I am moving my desktop to the 1st floor. The desktop will be placed right below the room wireless router is located.

So due to my current living arrangements using an ethernet cable for connecting to the internet is out of the question. So I was hoping you brilliant folks here at tomshardware forums might be able to give me suggestions/links for the best wireless adapter suitable for online gaming. The only online game that I play is World of Warcraft and I frequently raid with others and play PvP(Arena and Battlegrounds).

In the past, majority of people recommended PCI over USB for maximum performance mainly because PCI adapters have multiple antennas sticking out which usually gives you better range. So I was shopping for PCI ones and I noticed that many companies almost stop producing PCI adapters and pretty much all the new adapters released are USB ones.

Does this mean USB adapters now perform as good as PCIs even without antennas sticking out like PCI ones do? I am confused if I should get PCI or USB one for the best performance in playing online game(World of Warcraft).

I was hoping to go with PCI but if there is a USB wireless adapter that is better than PCI that you know of then please provide me the information. Also, if you know of any PCI adapter that is best for my router please let me know.

Additonal questions
1) Does my router support Dual Band? I see some wireless adapters that support Dual Band and I am not sure if I should get Dual Band adapters.
2) My desktop will be placed near kitchen in the 1st floor and will I get disconnection or lag spikes when microwaves are on?
3) My router supports upto 300Mbps. Some adapters support over 300+. Should I purchase new wireless router/adapters that support 300+ Mbps for playing World of Warcraft?

Looking forward to your responses!

My Router: NETGEAR WNR3500L (Supports IEEE 802.11b/g/n upto 300Mbps)

Solution
1)Your router doesn't support dual band , it's supports 2.4 ghz. only
2)My desktop will be placed near kitchen in the 1st floor and will I get disconnection or lag spikes when microwaves are on? < That usually happened with older model routers , the microwaves and routers are made better nowdays < never affects mine.
3)My router supports upto 300Mbps. Some adapters support over 300+. Should I purchase new wireless router/adapters that support 300+ Mbps for playing World of Warcraft? No , stick within the specs of your router unless you plan on a future router upgrade.

This is a very large high power USB adapter,so it's not for everyone , but i love it for my gaming....

lawrencemagno

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
yeah PCI is better than USB, i have tried it, PCI is more stable than USB, because PCI is way faster that USB, imagine transfering 10gb of file into your flashdrive and it is slow huh? then PCI is better

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
1)Your router doesn't support dual band , it's supports 2.4 ghz. only
2)My desktop will be placed near kitchen in the 1st floor and will I get disconnection or lag spikes when microwaves are on? < That usually happened with older model routers , the microwaves and routers are made better nowdays < never affects mine.
3)My router supports upto 300Mbps. Some adapters support over 300+. Should I purchase new wireless router/adapters that support 300+ Mbps for playing World of Warcraft? No , stick within the specs of your router unless you plan on a future router upgrade.

This is a very large high power USB adapter,so it's not for everyone , but i love it for my gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833381014&Tpk=gamebase

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.