digital audio recorder

How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface that
can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27 hours
or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card or
microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
computer.

Bob

--
Drive fast and eat cheese.
29 answers Last reply

    In article <pq9_c.2336$N4.282@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> sycochkn@earthlink.net writes:

    > How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface that
    > can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27 hours
    > or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card or
    > microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
    > computer.

    How about for under $300? And what kind of flash card or microdrive
    does it take to record 27 hours of 192 kHz mono audio and how much
    does it cost? And for that much data, wouldn't it be smarter to use a
    faster interface than USB?

    Either you're dreaming or teasing. Spill the beans if you have any.

    > In article <pq9_c.2336$N4.282@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
    sycochkn@earthlink.net writes:

    > > How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface
    that
    > > can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27
    hours

    What do you mean 27 hours? 27 hours recording time in mono?

    Why mono?

    You want a word clock or will mtc do?

    > > or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card
    or
    > > microdrive installed and the sample rate.

    What was 27 hours about?

    > USB for interface to upload to
    > > computer.
    >
    > How about for under $300? And what kind of flash card or microdrive
    > does it take to record 27 hours of 192 kHz mono audio and how much
    > does it cost?

    You won't be able to get a flash card or microdrive that can do it, and you
    won't be able to for many years, if ever.

    >And for that much data, wouldn't it be smarter to use a
    > faster interface than USB?

    Good point. Firewire 2 maybe?

    I think the marantz flash recorder would satisfy him if he's looking for
    something real.

    jb

    > Either you're dreaming or teasing. Spill the beans if you have any.

    actually I was thinking 27 hours for 16 bit 48k as absolute maximum
    recording time on a cf hd. The most you could get on existing hard drives
    would be about 12 .5 track hours at 192k 24bit 250 gigabyte hard drive. I
    think that the 3.5 inch ata hard drive is the most economical medium. USB
    was only in consideration of the fact that all new pcs have one. An hour of
    recording is probably adequate, that drive is under 50 dollars. I think the
    drive module should be a seperate thing from the mic preamp digitizer.

    > In article <pq9_c.2336$N4.282@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
    sycochkn@earthlink.net writes:

    > > How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface
    that
    > > can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27
    hours
    > > or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card
    or
    > > microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
    > > computer.
    >
    > How about for under $300? And what kind of flash card or microdrive
    > does it take to record 27 hours of 192 kHz mono audio and how much
    > does it cost? And for that much data, wouldn't it be smarter to use a
    > faster interface than USB?
    >
    > Either you're dreaming or teasing. Spill the beans if you have any.

    Why mono? The physical location of the recorder is to be as close as
    possible to the input device. USB? because it is free. Other interface
    options are not discounted, such as 10gb ethernet. I am making the
    assumption that all signal processing is to be done in the digital domain.
    The device that is used for recording should be the choice of the user,
    depending on the needs of the situation. Price depends on desired
    performance.

    I have about 12 years experience in digital design, and some analog. My mic
    preamp had a noise floor of about 139dbm.

    Bob

    In article <fM-dnZZK1e2stqfcRVn-ug@adelphia.com> opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com writes:

    > > In article <pq9_c.2336$N4.282@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>
    > sycochkn@earthlink.net writes:
    > >
    > > > How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface
    > that
    > > > can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27
    > hours
    >

    > What do you mean 27 hours? 27 hours recording time in mono?
    > Why mono?

    The trick is the part about "can be synchronized to as many other same
    devices as desired." So you have a bunch or mono recorders
    synchronized to give you as many tracks as you need. Modular digital
    multitrack recorder taken to the exterme - where the "module" is one
    channel.

    > You won't be able to get a flash card or microdrive that can do it, and you
    > won't be able to for many years, if ever.

    That's why I was asking the question. Maybe a flash card that's
    "affordable" in a couple of years can do an hour at 192 kHz 24-bit
    mono (about 2 GB).

    sycochkn <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >How about a mono 24 bit digital recorder with a condenser mic interface that
    >can be synchronized to as many other same devices as desired. up to 27 hours
    >or up to 192 k sample rate, recording time depending on the flash card or
    >microdrive installed and the sample rate. USB for interface to upload to
    >computer.

    You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
    drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
    Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
    more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
    for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
    that feature.

    Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
    Designs Lunatec V3.

    The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.
    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    Len Moskowitz wrote:

    > Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
    > Designs Lunatec V3.
    >
    > The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.

    Len, that's something I wish you would consider. Wordclock
    chainability could be a very signifigant feature for
    relatively low cost options such as yours.

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

    I <moskowit@panix.com> wrote:

    >You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
    >drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
    >Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
    >more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
    >for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
    >that feature.
    >
    >Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
    >Designs Lunatec V3.
    >
    >The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.

    And the Lunatec V3 provides a word clock output.

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    2 gig flash card is 250 to 300 at the moment. I am going to get one for the
    digital recorder that I have now. It has been a while since I bought hard
    drives. The last one I bought was 10 gigs for 50 dollars.

    bob

    "sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Why mono? The physical location of the recorder is to be as close as
    > possible to the input device. USB? because it is free. Other interface
    > options are not discounted, such as 10gb ethernet. I am making the
    > assumption that all signal processing is to be done in the digital domain.
    > The device that is used for recording should be the choice of the user,
    > depending on the needs of the situation. Price depends on desired
    > performance.

    Not sure I follow entirely. Do you intend to use the USB to connect to
    external drives/readers which function as a recording device?

    jb

    > I have about 12 years experience in digital design, and some analog. My
    mic
    > preamp had a noise floor of about 139dbm.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message

    > interface
    > > that
    > > hours
    > >

    > > What do you mean 27 hours? 27 hours recording time in mono?
    > >
    > > Why mono?
    > >
    > > You want a word clock or will mtc do?

    > > or
    > >
    > > What was 27 hours about?
    > >
    > > > USB for interface to upload to
    > > >
    > > > How about for under $300? And what kind of flash card or microdrive
    > > > does it take to record 27 hours of 192 kHz mono audio and how much
    > > > does it cost?
    > >
    > > You won't be able to get a flash card or microdrive that can do it, and
    > you
    > > won't be able to for many years, if ever.
    > >
    > > >And for that much data, wouldn't it be smarter to use a
    > > > faster interface than USB?
    > > >

    > > Good point. Firewire 2 maybe?
    > >
    > > I think the marantz flash recorder would satisfy him if he's looking for
    > > something real.
    > >
    > > jb
    > >
    > > > Either you're dreaming or teasing. Spill the beans if you have any.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
    > > > However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
    > > > lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
    > > > you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
    > > > and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo

    And for about 25 dollars the flash interface from target, if the output is
    usb. I was looking at the pd audio. I only saw a stereo version. 250 dollars
    did not sound bad at all.

    Bob

    "Len Moskowitz" <moskowit@panix.com> wrote in message
    > I <moskowit@panix.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You might have a look at our PDAudio system. With an external hard
    > >drive (e.g., Addonics Pocket ExDrive with an HP Dual PCMCIA Expansion
    > >Pack) or an external USB drive (when using a Toshiba PDA) you can get
    > >more than 20 hours of recording time at up to 192 KS/s. Two channels
    > >for the moment and mono when Live2496's author at Gidluck Mastering adds
    > >that feature.
    > >
    > >Mic2496 is a fine mic pre/A-to-D for it but you could also use a Grace
    > >Designs Lunatec V3.
    > >
    > >The only thing you'll be missing is external word clock.
    >
    > And the Lunatec V3 provides a word clock output.
    >
    > --
    > Len Moskowitz PDAudio, Binaural Mics, Cables, DPA, M-Audio
    > Core Sound http://www.stealthmicrophones.com
    > Teaneck, New Jersey USA http://www.core-sound.com
    > moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    Word clock would also allow the sample rate to be determined by the clock
    generator.

    Bob

    sycochkn wrote:

    > Word clock would also allow the sample rate to be determined by the clock
    > generator.

    Which ideally would be the first device in the chain should
    it not be receiving a clock from another source.

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

    Being able to use an external usb recording device would probably be the
    best choice.

    > Being able to use an external usb recording device would probably be the
    > best choice.
    >
    > Bob

    Sounds neat. The only issue I see, if you intend to go with mono devices, is
    that you would need several different recording devices.

    jb

    > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > > Why mono? The physical location of the recorder is to be as close as
    > > > possible to the input device. USB? because it is free. Other interface
    > > > options are not discounted, such as 10gb ethernet. I am making the
    > > > assumption that all signal processing is to be done in the digital
    > domain.
    > > > The device that is used for recording should be the choice of the
    user,
    > > > depending on the needs of the situation. Price depends on desired
    > > > performance.
    > > >

    > > Not sure I follow entirely. Do you intend to use the USB to connect to
    > > external drives/readers which function as a recording device?
    > >
    > > jb
    > >

    > > > I have about 12 years experience in digital design, and some analog.
    My
    > > mic
    > > > preamp had a noise floor of about 139dbm.
    > > >
    > > > Bob
    > > >

    > > > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > > interface
    > > 27

    > > card

    > and
    > > > you

    > for

    One recording device per channel. It need not be very expensive unless you
    need a lot of recording time or demand the smallest physical package
    possible.
    Bbob

    > "sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Being able to use an external usb recording device would probably be the
    > > best choice.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > Sounds neat. The only issue I see, if you intend to go with mono devices,
    is
    > that you would need several different recording devices.
    >
    > jb
    >

    > > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > domain.
    > user,
    > > > >

    > > > Not sure I follow entirely. Do you intend to use the USB to connect to
    > > > external drives/readers which function as a recording device?
    > > >
    > > > jb

    > My
    > > > mic

    up
    > > > 27

    > flash
    > > > card

    > microdrive

    > > and

    > > for

    > any.

    Besides you can buy as many or as few channels as you need. And add on as
    you need more. You can even buy a couple of spares in case something breaks
    at the worst possible time.

    Bob

    > One recording device per channel. It need not be very expensive unless you
    > need a lot of recording time or demand the smallest physical package
    > possible.
    > Bbob
    >
    > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "sycochkn" <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > > Being able to use an external usb recording device would probably be
    the
    > > > best choice.
    > > >
    > > > Bob
    > > >

    > > Sounds neat. The only issue I see, if you intend to go with mono
    devices,
    > is
    > > that you would need several different recording devices.
    > >
    > > jb
    > >

    > > > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > interface
    > > > domain.
    > > user,

    > > My

    <pq9_c.2336$N4.282@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>

    > up

    > > flash

    > > microdrive
    > much

    > it,
    > > > and

    > looking
    > > > for

    > > any.

    sycochkn <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >2 gig flash card is 250 to 300 at the moment. ...

    A 2 GB compact flash card sells for under $200. A 4 GB card is around $550.

    Hitachi just came out with a 10 GB PCMCIA hard drive. It's also selling
    for under $200.

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    sycochkn <sycochkn@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >And for about 25 dollars the flash interface from target, if the output is
    >usb. I was looking at the pd audio. I only saw a stereo version. 250 dollars
    >did not sound bad at all.

    If you're using a laptop, most recording applications can record in
    mono, if that's what you prefer.

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote:

    >Len, that's something I wish you would consider. Wordclock
    >chainability could be a very signifigant feature for
    >relatively low cost options such as yours.

    It's a function of the mic pre/A-to-D rather than the PDAudio-CF card.

    We'll consider it for future versions of our Mic2496 and other products.

    moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

    Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
    > That's why I was asking the question. Maybe a flash card that's
    > "affordable" in a couple of years can do an hour at 192 kHz 24-bit
    > mono (about 2 GB).

    perhaps use real-time lossless encoding (shorten / FLAC / etc) to reduce
    the storage requirements?

    "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
    to write provably correct software. also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown

    In article <10jvpn3pggnnm4d@corp.supernews.com> agrier@poofygoof.com writes:

    > perhaps use real-time lossless encoding (shorten / FLAC / etc) to reduce
    > the storage requirements?

    At the moment, it probably takes more processing horsepower than can
    be packaged in a portable unit, but those things get smaller, cheaper,
    and get lower power requirements as time goes on, so it may be a
    viable approach.

    One problem with a system like this is that we tend not to trust it,
    regardles of documented test results (usually) conducted by someone
    who wants to sell us the gear or the process or posted on a web page
    somewhere based on who knows what measurements. The less you do to an
    audio file in order to store and retrieve it, the better. (one more
    argument for analog tape)

    I <moskowit@core-sound.com> wrote:

    >A 2 GB compact flash card sells for under $200. A 4 GB card is around $550.
    >
    >Hitachi just came out with a 10 GB PCMCIA hard drive. It's also selling
    >for under $200.

    My apologies: the Hitachi drive I referred to is actually an older
    external 2.5" hard drive with a PCMCIA (PC Card) interface. IBM used to
    sell it as the TravelStar 10E. It is not an internally mounted (slot
    mounted) PCMCIA hard drive.

    By the way, 4 GB Compact Flash memory cards are about to break the $500
    price point. You can buy a SanDisk 4 GB CF card on eBay right now for
    $519. 2 GB CF cards are available for under $200.

    > The less you do to an audio file in order to store and retrieve it, the
    better.
    > (one more argument for analog tape)

    Mike just ignores all the processing needed to convert analog signals to
    magnetic domains and back again. Not to mention superimposing on HF, playing
    with frequency response, etc etc etc.

    TonyP.

    In article <41417db9$0$725$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

    > Mike just ignores all the processing needed to convert analog signals to
    > magnetic domains and back again.

    A coil of wire? Isn't this still in the Boy Scout Handbook? Or do
    Boy Scouts start with a computer nowadays?

    > In article <41417db9$0$725$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
    TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

    > > Mike just ignores all the processing needed to convert analog signals to
    > > magnetic domains and back again.
    >
    > A coil of wire? Isn't this still in the Boy Scout Handbook? Or do
    > Boy Scouts start with a computer nowadays?

    http://www.teacherlink.usu.edu/tlresources/clipart/BSAMERIT/images/Computers.JPG

    Can they build it out of sticks?

    jb

    > In article <41417db9$0$725$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
    TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

    > > Mike just ignores all the processing needed to convert analog signals to
    > > magnetic domains and back again.
    >
    > A coil of wire? Isn't this still in the Boy Scout Handbook? Or do
    > Boy Scouts start with a computer nowadays?

    Sorry, I made the mistake of assuming you were after HiFi. Which is pretty
    crazy I guess for someone who thinks his tape recorder is better than his
    Lynx.

    TonyP.

    In article <41430d74$0$11059$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au> TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

    > Sorry, I made the mistake of assuming you were after HiFi. Which is pretty
    > crazy I guess for someone who thinks his tape recorder is better than his
    > Lynx.

    For playing tapes, yes.

    Are you SURE you're not Phil Allison?

    > In article <41430d74$0$11059$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>
    TonyP@optus.net.com.au writes:

    > > Sorry, I made the mistake of assuming you were after HiFi. Which is
    pretty
    > > crazy I guess for someone who thinks his tape recorder is better than
    his
    > > Lynx.
    >
    > For playing tapes, yes.

    Do you admit that your original statement that analog tape is "objectively
    better" than digital, is bogus then?
    (Other than for playing old tapes)

    > Are you SURE you're not Phil Allison?

    Lets see,