Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connecting Internet on the Office LAN

Last response: in Networking
Share
September 16, 2012 9:06:25 AM

Hi,

I want to connect my office network to an internet which is connected through wireless only on my system. So i want to know how to connect my office LAN setup to the wireless network(i.e Internet). Let me give you the IP address details so that it will be easy for you.

Office lan Setup

IP Address : 192.168.0.8
Subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
Preferred DNS Server : 192.168.0.1

My Wireless Network Setup

IP Adderss : 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Do we need to do static routing or something like that??? Also i want to want to control some of the user not to access internet. Please let me know if any?

Thanks in advance for helping me...
September 18, 2012 4:43:04 PM

Setup Internet Connection Sharing on your computer, have whoever you want to connect run the ICS wizard on their systems. By wireless internet I am assuming you are talking about a cell data USB modem.

Keep in mind using things that way will open up many security holes even if you run a firewall on your system.
m
0
l
September 19, 2012 8:48:18 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Setup Internet Connection Sharing on your computer, have whoever you want to connect run the ICS wizard on their systems. By wireless internet I am assuming you are talking about a cell data USB modem.

Keep in mind using things that way will open up many security holes even if you run a firewall on your system.



Thanks for replying me...

I am not using cell data modem. I am using wireless router on my office. Also i have the server which is directly connected to the domain network. There is no firewall setup done till now. So i want to use my computer for sharing internet connection. From my computer i want to share the internet to all the domain user, That is the whole idea behind this.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b X LAN
September 19, 2012 11:26:02 AM

So your internet is on a wireless but your domain machines cannot directly use the wireless ?

Solution is still ICS. You need to modify the DHCP server on the office network to tell the user machines to use your machine as the default gateway.

You have now made your PC into the router which means you have to be careful what you run on it. Software run on the PC may have a negative impact on the traffic going between the networks.
m
0
l
September 19, 2012 1:16:37 PM

bill001g said:
So your internet is on a wireless but your domain machines cannot directly use the wireless ?

Solution is still ICS. You need to modify the DHCP server on the office network to tell the user machines to use your machine as the default gateway.

You have now made your PC into the router which means you have to be careful what you run on it. Software run on the PC may have a negative impact on the traffic going between the networks.



Thanks Bill001g for helping me....

I am don't know how to make it? If possible can you please guide me how to do it???

Even i tried with bridging those two network adapters. But the other computer unable to access. I am the one who is the managing those connection. I have all the access to the server. Can you please guide me what should i do on the server??? My Server running on Windows Server 2003 as a Domain Server.

Any other information Required???
m
0
l
a b X LAN
September 19, 2012 1:46:13 PM

ICS is a huge pain the butt. Even when you get it configured correctly it will tend to fail randomly and want you to restart it. Microsoft has very good example of how to set it up on their site.

Maybe I misread, I am confused if you want the server to run the function or you have another PC that you plan to do it with.

Still your key issue is that you have to let all your computers know to send your internet traffic to the machine running ICS. So I use your IP from the first post you would set all your PC default gateway to 192.168.0.8. You can do this manually or via the DHCP server.
m
0
l
September 19, 2012 2:04:04 PM

Kallapiran said:
Thanks for replying me...

I am not using cell data modem. I am using wireless router on my office. Also i have the server which is directly connected to the domain network. There is no firewall setup done till now. So i want to use my computer for sharing internet connection. From my computer i want to share the internet to all the domain user, That is the whole idea behind this.


The correct way to do this is to setup a proxy server on the server. It's way more secure and manageable than using ICS, that way is for home use.

http://www.1-script.com/forums/server/how-to-setup-win2...

I'm confused about your setup though, is the server on the internet connection or only your computer?

What you want to do is setup a firewall and router between the server and your internet connection, then setup the server as a proxy server, then set the computers you want on the internet to use that proxy server to connect. Make sure you know what you are doing as far as security or you'll end up exposing your server to the outside.
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 5:38:03 AM

bill001g said:
ICS is a huge pain the butt. Even when you get it configured correctly it will tend to fail randomly and want you to restart it. Microsoft has very good example of how to set it up on their site.

Maybe I misread, I am confused if you want the server to run the function or you have another PC that you plan to do it with.

Still your key issue is that you have to let all your computers know to send your internet traffic to the machine running ICS. So I use your IP from the first post you would set all your PC default gateway to 192.168.0.8. You can do this manually or via the DHCP server.


The thing is i have an different PC separately for internet sharing. I will try what you said, Lets cross my fingers and hope for the best. Thank you very much for helping me...
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 5:47:49 AM

hang-the-9 said:
The correct way to do this is to setup a proxy server on the server. It's way more secure and manageable than using ICS, that way is for home use.

http://www.1-script.com/forums/server/how-to-setup-win2...

I'm confused about your setup though, is the server on the internet connection or only your computer?

What you want to do is setup a firewall and router between the server and your internet connection, then setup the server as a proxy server, then set the computers you want on the internet to use that proxy server to connect. Make sure you know what you are doing as far as security or you'll end up exposing your server to the outside.



All i am trying to do is sharing internet from my PC to all the computers which is on the domain. The server is different. It is having only one Ethernet card and that is connected to the Switch. There was no Internet sharing done at all on the server, moreover server will is not hook up with the Internet connect. What is the current situation is, If any user want to access the internet. they will use USB wireless receiver using the wireless router. So i don,t want to go into the lengthy process. So i want to make it more simpler and easier, So I want to make my computer to sharing Internet so that other person can also access the Internet.

m
0
l
!