Prey Looks Wicked Cool

Saw the E3 video of Prey, which was something like 15 minutes long. This
game looks to actually innovate in many areas. First of all, it looks like
you'll be able to go into a "spirit form" and then move through barriers
that your physical form can not pass through. You can also shoot enemies
while in the spirit form. But another way cool thing about it was the
geometries, there are special paths I guess made by the aliens that let you
run along upside down so it's like the levels will have lots of crazy
action coming from all angles. It's hard to describe, try the video, you
can get it on FilePlanet and maybe other places too. All in all I had zero
interest in Prey prior to seeing the video thinking it would be another
Daikatana, but it looks like they actually have spent all this time
developing something unique and so I'm now looking forward to it.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

BP

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:11:00 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>3dRealms

Are they still alive ?

Shirley you must know about this allready ????
JonoF's Duke Nukem 3D Port (JFDuke3D)
"..JonoF's Duke Nukem 3D Port
With contributions by Ken Silvermam..... work-in-progress release of my port
of Duke Nukem 3D using my
ported Build engine codebase......"

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

Works lovely for me on Radeon 9800
Luv mouse
@@@@@@@

On 13 Jun 2005 17:33:08 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns96738E148AD18knight37m@
>130.133.1.4:
>
>> there are special paths I guess made by the aliens that let you
>> run along upside down so it's like the levels will have lots of crazy
>> action coming from all angles.
>
>Ever played _Serious Sam: The Second Encounter_? There's a couple of
>fights in rooms like that. One, I recall, is a cylinder where the entire
>curved surface is "floor".

Is that the one where the aliens were bouncing around like crazy? That was a
good fun that bit.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:49:39 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 13 Jun 2005 17:33:08 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns96738E148AD18knight37m@
>>130.133.1.4:
>>
>>> there are special paths I guess made by the aliens that let you
>>> run along upside down so it's like the levels will have lots of crazy
>>> action coming from all angles.
>>
>>Ever played _Serious Sam: The Second Encounter_? There's a couple of
>>fights in rooms like that. One, I recall, is a cylinder where the entire
>>curved surface is "floor".
>
>Is that the one where the aliens were bouncing around like crazy? That was a
>good fun that bit.

The cylindrical room would come after both of those instances.

While the first up/down bounce room is okay (as there was a way to make the
monsters impotent), the second left/right bounce was just annoying.

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Saw the E3 video of Prey, which was something like 15 minutes long. This
>game looks to actually innovate in many areas. First of all, it looks like
>you'll be able to go into a "spirit form" and then move through barriers
>that your physical form can not pass through. You can also shoot enemies
>while in the spirit form.

Is this supposed to be one of the "innovative" things about it?

Sounds rather like what Soul Reaver did, and didn't Kult: Heretic
Kingdoms do something similar?

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:

> Sounds rather like what Soul Reaver did, and didn't Kult: Heretic
> Kingdoms do something similar?

Not familiar with Soul Reaver but isn't that a platformer?

As for Kult, its an RPG not an FPS.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Xocyll wrote:
> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

>>Saw the E3 video of Prey, which was something like 15 minutes long. This
>>game looks to actually innovate in many areas. First of all, it looks like
>>you'll be able to go into a "spirit form" and then move through barriers
>>that your physical form can not pass through. You can also shoot enemies
>>while in the spirit form.
>

> Is this supposed to be one of the "innovative" things about it?
>
> Sounds rather like what Soul Reaver did, and didn't Kult: Heretic
> Kingdoms do something similar?
>
> Xocyll

Who cares? If it's fun, it's fun. Much better to try things like this
out then encounter yet another typical FPS.

Knight37 wrote:

> This game looks to actually innovate in many areas. First of all, it
> looks like you'll be able to go into a "spirit form" and then move
> through barriers that your physical form can not pass through. You
> can also shoot enemies while in the spirit form.

Sounds exactly like the Legacy of Kain games, so not
really an innovation. Still, if they implement it well
in an FPS, it could be good. But's it's not something
that justifies Prey's 10 year developement time. ;)

P.
--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Sounds rather like what Soul Reaver did, and didn't Kult: Heretic
>> Kingdoms do something similar?
>
>Not familiar with Soul Reaver but isn't that a platformer?

What do you mean by platformer?

It's an action game similar in view/controls to the Tomb Raider games.

>As for Kult, its an RPG not an FPS.

So what?

Having a GTA3+ style radio to listen to would count as "innovative" in a
FPS or RPG?

They aren't taking a risk introducing something new, they're using
something that's already been done and received well.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:

> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> Sounds rather like what Soul Reaver did, and didn't Kult: Heretic
>>> Kingdoms do something similar?
>>
>>Not familiar with Soul Reaver but isn't that a platformer?
>
> What do you mean by platformer?
>
> It's an action game similar in view/controls to the Tomb Raider games.
>
>>As for Kult, its an RPG not an FPS.
>
> So what?
>
> Having a GTA3+ style radio to listen to would count as "innovative" in a
> FPS or RPG?
>
> They aren't taking a risk introducing something new, they're using
> something that's already been done and received well.

It's totally not the same.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Quoth The Raven "stePH"<acetheta@earthlink.net> in
42ada734_1@x-privat.org
> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:Xns96738E148AD18knight37m@ 130.133.1.4:
>
>> there are special paths I guess made by the aliens that let you
>> run along upside down so it's like the levels will have lots of crazy
>> action coming from all angles.
>
> Ever played _Serious Sam: The Second Encounter_? There's a couple of
> fights in rooms like that. One, I recall, is a cylinder where the
> entire curved surface is "floor".
>

> stePH

yeah, with weak gravity, I made it into the doorway at the end where I could
stand still and face the onslaught. it was much easier then

--
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far
one can go." - T.S. Elliot

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

On 14 Jun 2005 17:31:21 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in

>>>Is that the one where the aliens were bouncing around like crazy? That
>>>was a good fun that bit.
>>
>> The cylindrical room would come after both of those instances.
>>
>> While the first up/down bounce room is okay (as there was a way to
>> make the monsters impotent), the second left/right bounce was just
>> annoying.
>
>I hated both bouncing rooms. What's this you say about neutralizing the
>monsters in the first room?

If you land directly on two health pills, gravity is turned off for about
20-30 seconds. Monsters don't understand how to move up and down, and thus
will have trouble attacking you.

>The cylindrical room was neat, I thought.

Perhaps, but the Seriously Warped Deathmatch levels were much more
interesting - "Which way is up?"

On 15 Jun 2005 20:19:52 +0200, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in
>

>> If you land directly on two health pills, gravity is turned off for
>> about 20-30 seconds. Monsters don't understand how to move up and
>> down, and thus will have trouble attacking you.
>
>Ah; I think I remember something like that from a walkthrough I read.
>Still annoying.

It could be worse. :)

>>>The cylindrical room was neat, I thought.
>>
>> Perhaps, but the Seriously Warped Deathmatch levels were much more
>> interesting - "Which way is up?"
>
>Never had occasion to try any multiplayer in SS. Perhaps I should. Does
>"Which way is up?" imply that it's sort of like the Descent games?

Actually, it has to do with paths making 180-degree corkscrew turns,
players walking on alternate sides of a path, etc. It's not like the
Descent games, but has it's own style of a "groundpoinder".

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>>
>>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:

>>>Not familiar with Soul Reaver but isn't that a platformer?
>>
>> What do you mean by platformer?
>>
>> It's an action game similar in view/controls to the Tomb Raider games.
>>
>>>As for Kult, its an RPG not an FPS.
>>
>> So what?
>>
>> Having a GTA3+ style radio to listen to would count as "innovative" in a
>> FPS or RPG?
>>
>> They aren't taking a risk introducing something new, they're using
>> something that's already been done and received well.
>
>It's totally not the same.

From your description it's _exactly_ the same as Soul Reaver did.
Two "worlds" one physical, one spirit, enemies in both, obstacles in
places that force you to shift from one to the other to get past.

Exactly how is it "totally not the same"?

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:

> From your description it's _exactly_ the same as Soul Reaver did.
> Two "worlds" one physical, one spirit, enemies in both, obstacles in
> places that force you to shift from one to the other to get past.

That's not how it works in Prey at least not from looking at the video. In
prey you can shoot the enemies from the physical realm while you are in
spiritual form. Also it is completely different from Kult because Kult is
an RPG and not an action game. I'm not talking conceptually here, I'm
talking about mechanics and gameplay. It does not PLAY the same. I haven't
played Soul Reaver so it may be similar to that but just because it was
done in some game before doesn't mean it's not still a cool idea. It's not
like it's old hat.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 17 Jun 2005 02:02:44 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> From your description it's _exactly_ the same as Soul Reaver did.
>> Two "worlds" one physical, one spirit, enemies in both, obstacles in
>> places that force you to shift from one to the other to get past.
>
>That's not how it works in Prey at least not from looking at the video. In
>prey you can shoot the enemies from the physical realm while you are in
>spiritual form. Also it is completely different from Kult because Kult is
>an RPG and not an action game. I'm not talking conceptually here, I'm
>talking about mechanics and gameplay. It does not PLAY the same. I haven't
>played Soul Reaver so it may be similar to that but just because it was
>done in some game before doesn't mean it's not still a cool idea. It's not
>like it's old hat.

Long wait. Current ship date is March 2006.

And a "I'll pass" from me, if it uses a Steam clone to
install/validate the single-player component.

John Lewis.
>--
>
>Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
>Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> From your description it's _exactly_ the same as Soul Reaver did.
>> Two "worlds" one physical, one spirit, enemies in both, obstacles in
>> places that force you to shift from one to the other to get past.
>
>That's not how it works in Prey at least not from looking at the video. In
>prey you can shoot the enemies from the physical realm while you are in
>spiritual form. Also it is completely different from Kult because Kult is
>an RPG and not an action game. I'm not talking conceptually here, I'm
>talking about mechanics and gameplay. It does not PLAY the same. I haven't
>played Soul Reaver so it may be similar to that but just because it was
>done in some game before doesn't mean it's not still a cool idea. It's not
>like it's old hat.

That's nice.
While it may indeed be a "cool idea" it's not, as you put it,
innovative.
That's the point I made and you have been arguing against.
It's been done before, it's not an innovation.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> once tried to test me with:

> That's the point I made and you have been arguing against.
> It's been done before, it's not an innovation.

Um, no, if it does it different enough to those two games you mentioned it
would definitely still be innovative. You need to prove that this idea is
old hat before I'd say otherwise. If you disagree with my definition then
we can just agree to disagree.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.