Sign in with
Your question

Word has just detected that you are holding down the control key

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 30, 2012 4:11:25 PM

Hello, I get the message "word has detected that you are holding down the control key" after I discover that Word 2007 doesn't work very well, in particular, I can't highlight individual words to edit. This has happened twice; the last time, it ended on its own after I tried numerous changes to the settings in Word, none of which made any difference. I'm running Word 2003 with Windows 7 on a new HP ProBook 4530s.
April 30, 2012 5:57:50 PM

Maybe you have a key sticking. As for Word 2007, it work fine. The biggest problem people have with Word 2007 is all the navigation changes with Ribons vs. menus. It takes time to get use to it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 5:58:25 PM

do a windows office repair under program files click on office and modify then click repair
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 6:00:28 PM

if word says you're holding down the control key it's probably because either you're holding down the control key or the control key is stuck down.
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:25:42 PM

Hello, I got the message "word has detected that you are holding down the control key"

I got the same message - and i was not touching any part of the key board - so it seems that the control key has a problem.
I have Windows 7and MS Office 2010 - but i don't think that's the problem. Its the key itself getting stuck whenever it is is used.
At First I had experienced - spontaneously changing Key board settings- (mixing up @ key with the " key)
Then other keys were re-arranged. Just before i got the message,"word has detected that you are holding down the control key" .... the computer screen froze - and all the tabs had a label with the function for them - WEIRD.

After fiddling with the ctrl key it unstuck and i was able to save my document and restart the PC.
I AM DEFINITELY RETURNING THIS HP PAVILION g6-1d70us Notebook PC.
I want a computer with keys that work ONLY when I press them - the way they are supposed to. Fred13, maybe u can do the same. If the key board if faulty, it has to be exchanged. It happens with machines. (18 May 2012)
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:54:29 AM

scout_03 said:
do a windows office repair under program files click on office and modify then click repair

This looks promising; can you provide a little more detailed direction to find Windows Office repair? I can't find it in the Windows Explorer under Program Files.
m
l
June 4, 2012 4:46:57 AM

None of these answers was helpful. The control key is neither held down nor sticking. I never found and Office repair program. Rebooting the system helped.
m
l
January 3, 2013 6:02:52 PM

I was excited to find this discussion and disappointed there wasn't a clear easy fix. My computer gives me this message with some regularity (1yr old Toshiba Satellite with Office 2010) and rebooting so far has resolved the problem. It's a pain though.
m
l
!