DoD:Source soon - how about fixing HL2

I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
devote some time to fixing that problem as well.
19 answers Last reply
More about source fixing

    x-no-archive: yes

    valve will never make us happy unless they give up violently
    forcing steam into all of us so they can monopolize and set
    a ruthless dictatorship in pc games!
    steam never ever!
    down to steam!
    long live a pc game market always steam free!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    One Punch Mickey wrote:

    > DoD has never had anything like the following that CS or whatever
    > has, or even TFC probably, but it does have a core of dedicated
    > players and hopefully DoD Source will inject a few more.

    Exactly. I don't think it matters how many players a game has, as long
    as it has a certain critical mass. I would define that as, no matter
    what time you play, there's always a game in your favourite map, and
    always a game with above a specified number of players (but with free
    slots of course). I'm sure someone could come up with a useful equation
    there!

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    Sleepy wrote:

    > I agree and Im glad I bought the retail package not the Silver Steam
    > package.
    > One consolation if I can call it that is that you can be sure that
    > when DOD:S does come
    > out it'll be a pretty good game with good netcode and a whole bunch
    > of good custom maps
    > will be adapted to it before long.

    I'm glad I bought Silver, since it means I got DOD:Source and the whole
    back catalogue for, what, 8 euros? On the one hand, I'd sure like to
    get DOD:Source as soon as possible. On the other hand, I'd rather get a
    highly-polished rigorously-tested game (they've been beta-testing for
    3 months). Playing a flawed gem like "Bloodlines", one of the big
    what-ifs of PC gaming in my mind, makes me appreciate that kind of
    attention all the more. I'd not like the guys at Valve are sitting on
    their laurels; I'm impressed by the constant updates on Steam (thought
    I'm annoyed by their vociferous denial of old HL1 keys, meaning me and
    other owners were stiffed.)

    --

    "i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote

    > is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out?

    Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out. They're very
    different games.

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:54:54 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out. They're very
    >different games.

    http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
    current players. Personally I won't even bother installing DOD:S when
    it is released, BF2 all the way for me.

    JohnV@nn wrote:
    > I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
    > devote some time to fixing that problem as well.

    Heh. If the stutter was easily fixable, it'd be gone by now.

    Seems as though there were TWO types of stutter people faced. The first
    type was eliminated ages ago, which fixed most people (including
    myself). There are however an unfortunate number still left with stutter
    that can only be explained by a flaw in the engine. A flaw so tricky to
    diagnose that Valve haven't fixed it yet, considering not everyone
    suffers from it.

    I'm sure Valve have been looking into it, but don't hold your breath. If
    they can't fix it they'll move on to other things given that the
    majority do not appear to suffer, and majority rules.

    i own a yacht wrote:
    > JohnV@nn <teeces@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like
    >> to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could devote
    >> some time to fixing that problem as well.

    > is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out?

    Gosh yes. For two reasons:

    * I have both DOD and BF1942 at home. The former constantly resides
    on my hard disk, and it's a rare week I don't have a game. The latter -
    including
    the 2 add-ons - currently sit gathering dust. They're both very different
    games,
    and the addition of vehicles doesn't make the latter "better".

    * It seems that the "real" specs for BF2 will _far_ exceed most people's
    machines for the foreseeable future (didn't someone mention you'll need
    _2_ gigs of RAM).

    P.

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:42:12 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >* It seems that the "real" specs for BF2 will _far_ exceed most people's
    >machines for the foreseeable future (didn't someone mention you'll need
    >_2_ gigs of RAM).

    The demo works fine with my 1GB of RAM, in fact it is a lot smoother
    than BF1942. The main thing that will hurt sales for them is that
    GF4's won't run it.

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:53:53 GMT, "JohnV@nn" <teeces@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
    >devote some time to fixing that problem as well.

    Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago and I've
    been done with HL2 for months so I think it's about time they devoted
    themselves to getting out the product that they took mine, and many
    others, money for.

    "i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > JohnV@nn <teeces@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out? and i read that
    > tf2 is still in the works. same thing, who cares? they took way too long

    Im still playing DOD after all these years - I didnt like the 'feel' of
    BF1942 online
    - it felt too clunky - like I was at the mercy of the games mechanics and
    the lag.
    DOD is tight and fast and responsive - its also a team game and I never felt
    that
    in BF or CS or any other game Ive tried online.

    As more and more new games turn out to be average at best the more enjoyment
    I get out of digging out the old ones. UT99 is still way better than
    2003/2004 in pure
    gameplay and enjoyment. Deus Ex hasnt been topped - HL2 with its fancy
    graphics
    wasnt any more fun than HL. You can throw in bumpmapping and shaders and
    physics
    and all you do is force up the spending on PC hardware - you dont guarantee
    good games.

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:54:54 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    > <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out.
    >> They're very different games.
    >
    > http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
    > current players.

    At 2am PST, 5am EST, and 9am GMT - hardly the optimum time for playing
    games! All I can say is, any time I want to play, I can usually pick and
    choose
    which map and the number of players I want to play with. Never ever a
    problem
    getting a game, which was unlikely my more recent experiences with BF1942.

    P.

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:53:22 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >At 2am PST, 5am EST, and 9am GMT - hardly the optimum time for playing
    >games!

    No, but it represented only about 1% of the Steam gamers, let alone
    other games.

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote

    > http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
    > current players. Personally I won't even bother installing DOD:S when
    > it is released, BF2 all the way for me.

    So, do you let the numbers of other people playing dictate to you whether to
    play something, or do you try it out and make your own mind up?

    Sleepy wrote:

    > I agree and Im glad I bought the retail package not the Silver Steam
    > package.
    > One consolation if I can call it that is that you can be sure that
    > when DOD:S does come
    > out it'll be a pretty good game with good netcode and a whole bunch
    > of good custom maps
    > will be adapted to it before long.

    I'm glad I bought Silver, since it means I got DOD:Source and the
    whole back catalogue for, what, 8 euros? On the one hand, I'd
    sure like to get DOD:Source as soon as possible. On the other hand,
    I'd rather get a highly polished game (they've been beta-testing for
    3 months). Playing a flawed gem like "Bloodlines" makes me

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:22:08 +0930, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >JohnV@nn wrote:
    >> I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
    >> devote some time to fixing that problem as well.
    >
    >Heh. If the stutter was easily fixable, it'd be gone by now.
    >
    >Seems as though there were TWO types of stutter people faced. The first
    >type was eliminated ages ago, which fixed most people (including
    >myself). There are however an unfortunate number still left with stutter
    >that can only be explained by a flaw in the engine. A flaw so tricky to
    >diagnose that Valve haven't fixed it yet, considering not everyone
    >suffers from it.
    >
    >I'm sure Valve have been looking into it, but don't hold your breath. If
    >they can't fix it they'll move on to other things given that the
    >majority do not appear to suffer, and majority rules.

    I read where someone at Valve said the Xbox port of HL2 doesn't have
    the stutter, which means they admit that it's a problem.

    Hi,

    In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
    <noone@home.net> wrote:
    #Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago

    You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
    > <noone@home.net> wrote:
    > #Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago
    >
    > You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?
    >
    > Ken.

    I guess he paid for the silver or gold edition of HL2 which comes with the
    Valve back-catalogue and a couple of future games including DOD...
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:19:09 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
    >> <noone@home.net> wrote:
    >> #Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago
    >>
    >> You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?
    >>
    >> Ken.
    >
    >I guess he paid for the silver or gold edition of HL2 which comes with the
    >Valve back-catalogue and a couple of future games including DOD...

    That would be it!

PC gaming Valve Games IBM Video Games