DoD:Source soon - how about fixing HL2

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2005 2:53:53 AM

I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
devote some time to fixing that problem as well.

More about : dod source fixing hl2

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:00:48 AM

x-no-archive: yes

valve will never make us happy unless they give up violently
forcing steam into all of us so they can monopolize and set
a ruthless dictatorship in pc games!
steam never ever!
down to steam!
long live a pc game market always steam free!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

One Punch Mickey wrote:

> DoD has never had anything like the following that CS or whatever
> has, or even TFC probably, but it does have a core of dedicated
> players and hopefully DoD Source will inject a few more.

Exactly. I don't think it matters how many players a game has, as long
as it has a certain critical mass. I would define that as, no matter
what time you play, there's always a game in your favourite map, and
always a game with above a specified number of players (but with free
slots of course). I'm sure someone could come up with a useful equation
there!

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:04:03 PM

Sleepy wrote:

> I agree and Im glad I bought the retail package not the Silver Steam
> package.
> One consolation if I can call it that is that you can be sure that
> when DOD:S does come
> out it'll be a pretty good game with good netcode and a whole bunch
> of good custom maps
> will be adapted to it before long.

I'm glad I bought Silver, since it means I got DOD:Source and the whole
back catalogue for, what, 8 euros? On the one hand, I'd sure like to
get DOD:Source as soon as possible. On the other hand, I'd rather get a
highly-polished rigorously-tested game (they've been beta-testing for
3 months). Playing a flawed gem like "Bloodlines", one of the big
what-ifs of PC gaming in my mind, makes me appreciate that kind of
attention all the more. I'd not like the guys at Valve are sitting on
their laurels; I'm impressed by the constant updates on Steam (thought
I'm annoyed by their vociferous denial of old HL1 keys, meaning me and
other owners were stiffed.)

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:54:54 PM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote

> is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out?

Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out. They're very
different games.
June 14, 2005 12:54:55 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:54:54 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out. They're very
>different games.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
current players. Personally I won't even bother installing DOD:S when
it is released, BF2 all the way for me.
June 14, 2005 1:22:08 PM

JohnV@nn wrote:
> I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
> devote some time to fixing that problem as well.

Heh. If the stutter was easily fixable, it'd be gone by now.

Seems as though there were TWO types of stutter people faced. The first
type was eliminated ages ago, which fixed most people (including
myself). There are however an unfortunate number still left with stutter
that can only be explained by a flaw in the engine. A flaw so tricky to
diagnose that Valve haven't fixed it yet, considering not everyone
suffers from it.

I'm sure Valve have been looking into it, but don't hold your breath. If
they can't fix it they'll move on to other things given that the
majority do not appear to suffer, and majority rules.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:42:12 PM

i own a yacht wrote:
> JohnV@nn <teeces@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like
>> to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could devote
>> some time to fixing that problem as well.

> is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out?

Gosh yes. For two reasons:

* I have both DOD and BF1942 at home. The former constantly resides
on my hard disk, and it's a rare week I don't have a game. The latter -
including
the 2 add-ons - currently sit gathering dust. They're both very different
games,
and the addition of vehicles doesn't make the latter "better".

* It seems that the "real" specs for BF2 will _far_ exceed most people's
machines for the foreseeable future (didn't someone mention you'll need
_2_ gigs of RAM).

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
June 14, 2005 1:42:13 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:42:12 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>* It seems that the "real" specs for BF2 will _far_ exceed most people's
>machines for the foreseeable future (didn't someone mention you'll need
>_2_ gigs of RAM).

The demo works fine with my 1GB of RAM, in fact it is a lot smoother
than BF1942. The main thing that will hurt sales for them is that
GF4's won't run it.
June 14, 2005 1:44:06 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:53:53 GMT, "JohnV@nn" <teeces@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
>devote some time to fixing that problem as well.

Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago and I've
been done with HL2 for months so I think it's about time they devoted
themselves to getting out the product that they took mine, and many
others, money for.
June 14, 2005 2:32:50 PM

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> JohnV@nn <teeces@hotmail.com> wrote:

> is anyone going to care about dod:s with bf2 coming out? and i read that
> tf2 is still in the works. same thing, who cares? they took way too long

Im still playing DOD after all these years - I didnt like the 'feel' of
BF1942 online
- it felt too clunky - like I was at the mercy of the games mechanics and
the lag.
DOD is tight and fast and responsive - its also a team game and I never felt
that
in BF or CS or any other game Ive tried online.

As more and more new games turn out to be average at best the more enjoyment
I get out of digging out the old ones. UT99 is still way better than
2003/2004 in pure
gameplay and enjoyment. Deus Ex hasnt been topped - HL2 with its fancy
graphics
wasnt any more fun than HL. You can throw in bumpmapping and shaders and
physics
and all you do is force up the spending on PC hardware - you dont guarantee
good games.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:53:22 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:54:54 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Plenty of people playing DoD as it is with the existing BF out.
>> They're very different games.
>
> http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
> current players.

At 2am PST, 5am EST, and 9am GMT - hardly the optimum time for playing
games! All I can say is, any time I want to play, I can usually pick and
choose
which map and the number of players I want to play with. Never ever a
problem
getting a game, which was unlikely my more recent experiences with BF1942.

P.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
June 14, 2005 2:53:23 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:53:22 +0100, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>At 2am PST, 5am EST, and 9am GMT - hardly the optimum time for playing
>games!

No, but it represented only about 1% of the Steam gamers, let alone
other games.
June 14, 2005 2:57:36 PM

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote

> http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html indicates 2300
> current players. Personally I won't even bother installing DOD:S when
> it is released, BF2 all the way for me.

So, do you let the numbers of other people playing dictate to you whether to
play something, or do you try it out and make your own mind up?

DoD has never had anything like the following that CS or whatever has, or
even TFC probably, but it *does* have a core of dedicated players and
hopefully DoD Source will inject a few more.
June 14, 2005 6:22:13 PM

<noone@home.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:53:53 GMT, "JohnV@nn" <teeces@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago and I've
> been done with HL2 for months so I think it's about time they devoted
> themselves to getting out the product that they took mine, and many
> others, money for.

I agree and Im glad I bought the retail package not the Silver Steam
package.
One consolation if I can call it that is that you can be sure that when
DOD:S does come
out it'll be a pretty good game with good netcode and a whole bunch of good
custom maps
will be adapted to it before long.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:08:36 PM

Sleepy wrote:

> I agree and Im glad I bought the retail package not the Silver Steam
> package.
> One consolation if I can call it that is that you can be sure that
> when DOD:S does come
> out it'll be a pretty good game with good netcode and a whole bunch
> of good custom maps
> will be adapted to it before long.

I'm glad I bought Silver, since it means I got DOD:Source and the
whole back catalogue for, what, 8 euros? On the one hand, I'd
sure like to get DOD:Source as soon as possible. On the other hand,
I'd rather get a highly polished game (they've been beta-testing for
3 months). Playing a flawed gem like "Bloodlines" makes me
appreciate that kind of attention all the more. I'd not like the guys
at Valve are sitting on their laurels; I'm impressed by the constant updates
on Steam.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
June 18, 2005 11:56:57 PM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:22:08 +0930, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>JohnV@nn wrote:
>> I'm glad to see Valve is working on new releases. But I'd also like to be able to play HL2 without the stutter; maybe they could
>> devote some time to fixing that problem as well.
>
>Heh. If the stutter was easily fixable, it'd be gone by now.
>
>Seems as though there were TWO types of stutter people faced. The first
>type was eliminated ages ago, which fixed most people (including
>myself). There are however an unfortunate number still left with stutter
>that can only be explained by a flaw in the engine. A flaw so tricky to
>diagnose that Valve haven't fixed it yet, considering not everyone
>suffers from it.
>
>I'm sure Valve have been looking into it, but don't hold your breath. If
>they can't fix it they'll move on to other things given that the
>majority do not appear to suffer, and majority rules.

I read where someone at Valve said the Xbox port of HL2 doesn't have
the stutter, which means they admit that it's a problem.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:01:44 PM

Hi,

In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
<noone@home.net> wrote:
#Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago

You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
June 21, 2005 1:19:09 AM

"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
> <noone@home.net> wrote:
> #Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago
>
> You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?
>
> Ken.

I guess he paid for the silver or gold edition of HL2 which comes with the
Valve back-catalogue and a couple of future games including DOD...
June 21, 2005 2:27:46 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:19:09 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> In article <linta1p6mt8oum00gdf0c7pt0oj2ahmgsr@4ax.com>,
>> <noone@home.net> wrote:
>> #Well I've been waiting for DoD since I paid for it months ago
>>
>> You paid ahead for a game? Why on earth did you do that?
>>
>> Ken.
>
>I guess he paid for the silver or gold edition of HL2 which comes with the
>Valve back-catalogue and a couple of future games including DOD...

That would be it!
!