Boiling Point - memorable moments

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

This thread is NOT a discussion of the bugs in this very ambitious
game. It is perfectly playable, but definitely "not finished" in the
classic sense. Broken quests, incomplete or buggy features. However,
patches are being actively worked both by the developers and the
Atari QC teams. See "www.boiling-point.net" for details.

" www.boiling-point.net "also now has a full bug-reporting system
on-line and is directly feeding the input to the developers.

Those just wishing to voice complaints about the bugs and incomplete
features, please start another thread. Those who genuinely wish to
help with the bug-reporting, please log into the bug-reporting sytem.
Be very precise and only one bug per report so that the moderators
can correctly finalize a priority.

Back to the topic:-

I (as Saul) decided that I didn't like the Mafia too much, so I
decided to knock off one or two of their members. Then I decided to
pay one of their estates a visit, just to knock off a few more. Nice
selection of weapons all fully loaded and functional. I left the main
road and drove on a winding dirt-track towards the estate.
Everything going fine, birds singing, beautiful sunny day, lush forest
( the outdoor scenery is highly realistic in BP ), sun glinting
through the trees .drove along quite happily until I got about 1km
from the estate. Suddenly, there was a loud cracking sound and a big
tree toppled over blocking my path. ( No comic-book trees these, the
real thing complete with thousands of leaves...) And a whole bunch of
guys opened fire. Better get out of here...real quick. Spun the car
round... another crack and a crash.. another tree fell blocking my
escape.... I died in a hail of bullets. Grrr..... Next time, maybe I
can fool them, I'll drive across country.....

The sheer originality of parts of this game is stunning. An imperfect
masterpiece... step around the bugs and it is great fun.

Any other "memorable moments" from anybody else ?

The developers will be releasing the SDK after the patches are done.
The mod community are going to have a ball with this one.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I would have to give the game a C- overall after about 8 hours into
it. It is innovative and there are quite a few AAA moments. But it is
kind of a strange dual sided game.
There are fairly impressive outdoor areas, great lighting and
impressive vegetation (although only the tree trunks offer any
resistance), even bump mapping in the tire tracks on the dirt roads.
But then there are the interiors with some horribly low resolution
texture mapping that makes it look like something from 8 years ago or
shareware.
The characters are a combination of fairly realistic looking heads but
some of the most awkward gesturing and lip synching around with oddly
proportioned bodies. The voice acting isn't bad but it gets tedious to
have to listen all the way through when you are done reading what is
being said in about half the time. You can hit escape to skip the
dialogue.
It is also difficult to say what it is, except it is a combination of
FPS and RPG. Neither genre stands out on its own but they are pretty
good in combination. The flip side is that it isn't a real good FPS and
it isn't a real good RPG.
There are a lot of drawers and lockers and other things that can be
opened but there is nothing there. The really weird one is to find the
bank vault door can be opened, the guards just stand there while you
open it and it is totally empty. That is the way a lot of the interiors
are, just empty, nothing to find. Kind of the same for the characters,
they don't really do too much and don't really acknowledge you being
there unless you talk to them directly.
Even the alliance with government or Mafia is so-so. It seems visiting
the Colonel on the Army base triggers something, so you are aligned
with the government, but after that, you can run through the woods and
if you slow down when either side says slow down, then they acknowledge
you as a new recruit and let you go on.
It is a very expansive map and it takes quite awhile just to get
around the town. It takes a couple hours to just run around trying to
figure out what to do, then find out everybody wants money, then trying
to figure out how to make money. Eventually, you find out you can go
out of town where there are running gun battles between the Mafia or
the guerillas and the government, pick a side for the gun battle and
search the dead bodies for stuff. Mostly it is weapons, but the weapons
dealer gives you a small fraction of what he charges for the same
weapon. It takes a long time to earn any sort of money. You can sell
cars that you steal but the car dealer only gives you a few hundred
pesos at a time.
The vehicle driving isn't bad but the sound effects for the cars are
awful, they all sound like the fan belt is slipping. The boat isn't too
bad although even its engine sounds more like an electric motor with a
bad bearing.
And it is quite buggy. It seems to get more stable over time but there
is still that sudden CTD out of nowhere, so it is important to save
often. It has a tendency to not close out cleanly either when Exiting.
It will close out to the desktop then hard crash causing a reboot. This
doesn't happen every time, just often enough to be annoying. This is
with the latest patch. Overall, this game looks like it will take many
hours to play through the missions, and with all the necessary side
missions, it is difficult to remember you are there to rescue your
daughter. It is kind of a quirky game that some people will like a lot
and some people are going to hate.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

turk wrote:

<snip>

it can take as long as two weeks and don't forget you used the
normal mail service right? and not those fast expensive courier
like ups fedex or something
then there is customs... your package has to pass through and the
states are so huge if you lived in the east cost you had already
got it
bottom line, for me you made a great decision to order the uk
version of boiling point so please be patient
by doing what you did you set yourself to a much higher level
than any other pc gamer in this group
try comparing yourself with all the scum pirates populating this
group? so thank god you are with us!

ps: i will not tell you to also buy the us version although in
your position i would do it so i could have in my collection
bough editions

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> turk wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> it can take as long as two weeks and don't forget you used the
> normal mail service right?

It's been 11 business days and I used whatever shipping they did. I had no
choice. Still seems a bit long. That's hardly the first item I've ordered
from the UK.

and not those fast expensive courier
> like ups fedex or something
> then there is customs... your package has to pass through and the
> states are so huge if you lived in the east cost you had already
> got it

There should be at best one day difference from east coast to midwest.

> bottom line, for me you made a great decision to order the uk
> version of boiling point so please be patient
> by doing what you did you set yourself to a much higher level
> than any other pc gamer in this group
> try comparing yourself with all the scum pirates populating this
> group? so thank god you are with us!

Thanks...I think...but let's leave "God" out of it. Even if there were such
a thing, I doubt my video game purchases would interest it.

> ps: i will not tell you to also buy the us version although in
> your position i would do it so i could have in my collection
> bough editions

If you want to buy both versions, be my guest. I can't see why I would.
And what is "my position"?

turk
--
My last vestige of "hands off religion" respect disappeared in the smoke and
choking dust of September 11th 2001, followed by the "National Day of

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Not much in the way of memorable moments, just my obligatory comments
concerning the game.

So far, for the most part, the game is pretty stable. There's plenty
of little weird "glitches", but I've yet to run into any CTDs or
bonified bugs (knock on wood). The glitches, unfortunately, have the
potential to ruin the immersion. Examples: drive past a gun battle at
full speed... even when you're a good 1/4 mile away, the battle still
sounds like it's right next to you. In fact, this game is rife with a
lot of weird sound problems (too loud, too soft, cutting out at weird
moments, etc). Helicopters appear to be "stuck" at a certain altitude
which is really weird -- they perform like flying trains attached to an
invisible track. The "snake pursuit" is really weird and, well, kinda
lame. I could understand if you stepped on one, or one fell out of a
tree above you -- but giving pursuit is really weird. I'm not familiar
with any snake that aggressively hunts humans. Just yesterday I was at
one of the military bases -- there was a firefight going on somewhere
(at full volume), and a helicopter crashed on the base -- but the NPCs
just stand there, no reaction whatsoever. Also, there are times when
I'm assaulting a certain location, and I do something that you'd think
would get the enemy hoppin' mad, and patrolling -- but they just stand
around doing nothing. It's strange.

The driving I don't really have a problem with -- takes a little
getting used to, but it gets the job done. The size of the map is
certainly impressive, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out
there... just endless expanses of jungle.

Personally I consider the game to be very ambitious, with a good deal
of potential -- unfortunately, the implemtation is a little "off" (for
lack of a better term). I can't help but feel that another year of
development and polishing (mostly) could have left DeepShadows with
classic on their hands. I just read on boiling-point.net that Atari is
working on another U.S. patch (and claimed the first one was released
prematurely). My hope is that by v1.3+ the game will be rock solid
(but I kinda doubt it).

In the end though, I'm having fun playing it. There's an addictive
quality to it that I can't quite place my finger on. I really hope we
see similiar designs in more games (keeping my eye on STALKER).

-V

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:27:51 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

>Back to the topic:-
>
>I (as Saul) decided that I didn't like the Mafia too much, so I
>decided to knock off one or two of their members. Then I decided to
>pay one of their estates a visit, just to knock off a few more. Nice
>selection of weapons all fully loaded and functional. I left the main
>road and drove on a winding dirt-track towards the estate.
>Everything going fine, birds singing, beautiful sunny day, lush forest
>( the outdoor scenery is highly realistic in BP ), sun glinting
>through the trees .drove along quite happily until I got about 1km
>from the estate. Suddenly, there was a loud cracking sound and a big
>tree toppled over blocking my path. ( No comic-book trees these, the
>real thing complete with thousands of leaves...) And a whole bunch of
>guys opened fire. Better get out of here...real quick. Spun the car
>round... another crack and a crash.. another tree fell blocking my
>escape.... I died in a hail of bullets. Grrr..... Next time, maybe I
>can fool them, I'll drive across country.....

Ambushes are a pain so most of the time I take a lot of detours through the
jungle if I can. I have found some interesting stuff this way purely by
accident. Haven't got anywhere near the end of the main plot I suspect but I
have found a series of crashed planes on my travels. Each one has a silver
briefcase laying near the dead pilot. I have left them where they are but
highlighted them on the map as I am sure I will need to get those at some
point.

>The sheer originality of parts of this game is stunning. An imperfect
>masterpiece... step around the bugs and it is great fun.

Totally agree with that. I have only come across one mission stopping bug for
the military but I am hoping that it was just a random cock up rather than a
broken script. I had completed all the objectives but it still said I had not
blown something up that I know I had. I just went back and carried on with the
main plot at that point as I had nearly 80,000 pesos so could pay off people
quite happily.

>Any other "memorable moments" from anybody else ?

The occasional moment where for some unexplicable reason one of the grannies
in town will lob a grenade at me for no reason.

Another thing that happened to me was when I was driving out to the east of
the map through those tunnels cut in the mountains when as I was about to
enter one a helicopter flew straight in to the mountain and exploded right in
front of me!

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:04:04 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Sailor spoils a thread as usual...time for his afternoon of relaxation
>> away from the keyboard... sailing his paper boat in the local pond.
>
>damn, i wish i could think of something equally clever related to your
>posting name. i get it.. "yacht" "sailor" .. such wit!
>
>how about .. jackass lewis? haha!! see, john and jackass both start with
>the letter j. that's why it's hilarious.

Even when reminded quite kindly that this thread was for people who want to
discuss the bugs in this game seriously so still come in here act like wise and beautiful woman.
In you go! <plonk>

turk wrote:

> It's been 11 business days and I used whatever shipping they

enough time has passed... yes its time for you to get it
i really hope you will not have to wait anymore

> Still seems a bit long.

i agree but i'm sure you will be getting it in the next days

> That's hardly the first item I've ordered from the UK.

that's good and i think totally worthy
the dollar in again becoming strong
you don't pay customs taxes
the uk has many pc game releases not available in the us
any uk version will play in any windows english version
so i think more should do like you

i'm all for more trade between the us and europe when it
comes to pc games

> a thing, I doubt my video game purchases would interest it.

seeing the enormous amount of pirates in this group make me
sick... that's why i used the expressing to say its good to
see a true pc gamer among us

> And what is "my position"?

i meant if i was you i would buy bough editions but it will
be almost impossible for me to do it cause its too expensive
importing pc games from the states... its very unfortunate
i think its much easier for you americans to import from the
uk them us europeans to import from the states

--

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> turk wrote:
>
>> It's been 11 business days and I used whatever shipping they
>
> enough time has passed... yes its time for you to get it
> i really hope you will not have to wait anymore
>
>> Still seems a bit long.
>
> i agree but i'm sure you will be getting it in the next days
>
>> That's hardly the first item I've ordered from the UK.
>
> that's good and i think totally worthy
> the dollar in again becoming strong
> you don't pay customs taxes
> the uk has many pc game releases not available in the us
> any uk version will play in any windows english version
> so i think more should do like you
>
> i'm all for more trade between the us and europe when it
> comes to pc games
>
>> a thing, I doubt my video game purchases would interest it.
>
> seeing the enormous amount of pirates in this group make me
> sick... that's why i used the expressing to say its good to
> see a true pc gamer among us
>
>> And what is "my position"?
>
> i meant if i was you i would buy bough editions but it will
> be almost impossible for me to do it cause its too expensive
> importing pc games from the states... its very unfortunate
> i think its much easier for you americans to import from the
> uk them us europeans to import from the states

I suppose that's true. But, I can't think of any good reason to buy both
versions unless there were a lot of differences in content, which near as I
can say, isn't true in this case. I wish I would have waited to order the
game since Gogamer now has it for $25....

turk
--
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment
insurance and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:53:56 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>Any other "memorable moments" from anybody else ?
>
>The occasional moment where for some unexplicable reason one of the grannies
>in town will lob a grenade at me for no reason.

If that happens take a look at your Civilian points. If not at the
negative level that triggers 'vigilante mode' you should log it as a
bug with 'www.boiling-point.net '. It would be a good idea to capture
and record in the bug report your total set of relationship points
next time granny throws a grenade..........

>Another thing that happened to me was when I was driving out to the east of
>the map through those tunnels cut in the mountains when as I was about to
>enter one a helicopter flew straight in to the mountain and exploded right in
>front of me!

Hmm... pilot high on too much Synthetic Adrenaline ?
Naw..... AI issue.....

I had an interesting pistol firefight with vigilante civiliants and a
bandit with a shotgun, where I was on a rooftop and ducking behind
some eaves. When the bandit was not firing at me, he was firing at
them. Ended up with two blazing vehicles damaged by shot-gun blasts
and finally reduced to cinders ( extremely realistic animations...)
together with a few corpses scattered arounf the vehicles. Such fun
being able to go anywhere, try lots of interesting approaches to
missions..

John Lewis

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

*snip*

Ive seen it written that NPCs cant climb ladders in this game - not true.
The first time I did the quest to wipe out the 3 bandits in town I did it
from the rooftop of the motel. I wasnt using a silenced weapon and after
I got off the first shot one of the trio climbed up the ladder and came at
me
with a knife - surprised the hell out of me!

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> Such fun being able to go anywhere, try lots of interesting approaches
> to missions.

It happened to me that while on the mission to destroy the two helicopters
on that military base, I was attacked by a helicopter myself and both of
them were blown up without myself doing anything. Sub-mission accomplished
and no enemy/friend stats changed. I was almost laughing out loud ;)...

nostromo

Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Tue, 14 Jun
2005 19:56:15 GMT, Anno Domini:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:04:04 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Sailor spoils a thread as usual...time for his afternoon of relaxation
>>> away from the keyboard... sailing his paper boat in the local pond.
>>
>>damn, i wish i could think of something equally clever related to your
>>posting name. i get it.. "yacht" "sailor" .. such wit!
>>
>>how about .. jackass lewis? haha!! see, john and jackass both start with
>>the letter j. that's why it's hilarious.
>
>Even when reminded quite kindly that this thread was for people who want to
>discuss the bugs in this game seriously so still come in here act like wise and beautiful woman.
>In you go! <plonk>

Had him there for over a year as well. Man, I think I have the definitive
killfile list for this group. Should I post it to help newbs out do you
think? ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:38:16 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Tue, 14 Jun
>2005 19:56:15 GMT, Anno Domini:

>>>damn, i wish i could think of something equally clever related to your
>>>posting name. i get it.. "yacht" "sailor" .. such wit!
>>>
>>>how about .. jackass lewis? haha!! see, john and jackass both start with
>>>the letter j. that's why it's hilarious.
>>
>>Even when reminded quite kindly that this thread was for people who want to
>>discuss the bugs in this game seriously so still come in here act like wise and beautiful woman.
>>In you go! <plonk>
>
>Had him there for over a year as well. Man, I think I have the definitive
>killfile list for this group. Should I post it to help newbs out do you
>think? ;-)

I always try to give people benefit of the doubt but someone who will just
continue to make personal attacks because they can't make their point just
isn't worth the effort. As the late great Bill Hicks once said "Some people
should have been blow jobs!"

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:01:48 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:53:56 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>>Any other "memorable moments" from anybody else ?
>>
>>The occasional moment where for some unexplicable reason one of the grannies
>>in town will lob a grenade at me for no reason.
>>

>If that happens take a look at your Civilian points. If not at the
>negative level that triggers 'vigilante mode' you should log it as a
>bug with 'www.boiling-point.net '. It would be a good idea to capture
>and record in the bug report your total set of relationship points
>next time granny throws a grenade..........
>

>>Another thing that happened to me was when I was driving out to the east of
>>the map through those tunnels cut in the mountains when as I was about to
>>enter one a helicopter flew straight in to the mountain and exploded right in
>>front of me!
>
>Hmm... pilot high on too much Synthetic Adrenaline ?
>Naw..... AI issue.....

If you are very high up in the mountains it happens more and more. For tricks
I decided to head north to the very edge of the map. There is a stepped
mountain range to negotiate to get there. At such a high altitude you are
sometimes higher than the choppers and some of them just fly around right in
to trees! When I got there the map just stopped but if I looked down I was
looking down on a tree top canopy, almost as if the map had wrapped around on
itself. I jumped off, as you do, and just kept falling and never did hit
ground.

>I had an interesting pistol firefight with vigilante civiliants and a
>bandit with a shotgun, where I was on a rooftop and ducking behind
>some eaves. When the bandit was not firing at me, he was firing at
>them. Ended up with two blazing vehicles damaged by shot-gun blasts
>and finally reduced to cinders ( extremely realistic animations...)
>together with a few corpses scattered arounf the vehicles. Such fun
>being able to go anywhere, try lots of interesting approaches to
>missions..

That's one of things I like about it. On a couple of missions I have had to
either steal something or kill someone at such and such a base. I have managed
to sneak into a base and steal something without even beeing detected and
sniped a scientist in a barracks using silenced sniper rifle ammo (I know that
doesn't make sense but there you go) without even getting near the place.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:37:27 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>*snip*
>
>Ive seen it written that NPCs cant climb ladders in this game - not true.
>The first time I did the quest to wipe out the 3 bandits in town I did it
>from the rooftop of the motel. I wasnt using a silenced weapon and after
>I got off the first shot one of the trio climbed up the ladder and came at
>me
>with a knife - surprised the hell out of me!

I remember that one. I wonder if it was scripted as I did exactly the same
thing but took them out in that pagoda with the Steyr Aug before they got very
far. Did you know you can knock people over with grenades? I did it by
accident the first time but it is a good tactic if you want to make sure
someone dies as they can't get away before it explodes! :))

turk wrote:

> But, I can't think of any good reason to buy both

it's cause i'm also a collector
as many others not only i like to buy, play pc games but also
i like to collect them and as you know better than me, the us
editions are different from the european ones so having both
adds to the collection and to the pleasure

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

KAOS

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:36:46 -0500, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> dared
speak in front of ME:

>"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ps: i will not tell you to also buy the us version although in
>> your position i would do it so i could have in my collection
>> bough editions
>
>If you want to buy both versions, be my guest. I can't see why I would.
>And what is "my position"?

"steamkiller" thinks any and all online delivery methods are piracy.
Since you ordered a hard copy, you have his (temporary) approval - for
what it's worth.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

For s***mK****R's eyes only --

( and everbody else who has both eyes and an intact
brain......... )

Please confirm if you have bought Boiling Point....

Just reply: YES

or : NO.

and nothing else................. !!!

Others: please note that this follow-up does not
contain any text that would disturb your s...K..
troll-filters.

John Lewis

steamKILLER wrote:
> turk wrote:
> > But, I can't think of any good reason to buy both
>
> it's cause i'm also a collector
> as many others not only i like to buy, play pc games but also
> i like to collect them and as you know better than me, the us
> editions are different from the european ones so having both
> adds to the collection and to the pleasure

Is your collection worth anything? I tried selling some old games,
including Deus Ex, and couldn't get anyone interested.
How many games have you got now?

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

i own a yacht wrote:
> mace <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > Sigh...with your track record of stupidity...sigh, indeed.
>
> ever considered saying something that has anything to do with the text
> you quote? might make for a nice change.

Just like your comments about the functionality of killfiles?

> congrats on the double post.

Well, considering some of your best characteristic...
(some hints: thickness, you, penetrate)

KAOS

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 17 Jun 2005 07:37:28 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>steamKILLER wrote:
>> turk wrote:
>> > But, I can't think of any good reason to buy both
>>
>> it's cause i'm also a collector
>> as many others not only i like to buy, play pc games but also
>> i like to collect them and as you know better than me, the us
>> editions are different from the european ones so having both
>> adds to the collection and to the pleasure
>
>Is your collection worth anything?

It supports the self-righteousness that fuels his crusade against
online delivery methods.

Plus, it might have some sentimental value as well. But mostly the
self-righteousness.

--

Chadwick wrote:

> Is your collection worth anything?

in money? i don't know and i don't care
i'm not collecting for the money but only for my own personal
pleasure

> I tried selling some old games

a true pc gamer doesn't sell his own pc games
what we should promote is more buying of new copies and not
second hand cause it doesn't give the so needed profit to
developers and publishers

> including Deus Ex, and couldn't get anyone interested.

why do you want to sell a classic? and one of your all time
favorite pc games? it doesn't make any sense!
don't tell it is your wife forcing you to get ride of it
cause she doesn't like seeing them in a shelve?
i guess for "females" books are more impressive to see for
the house guests right?

> How many games have you got now?

i surpass the 120 mark... i know, not very impressive...
its still very far from what a true pc gamer must have but
i'm working hard to reach it in a few years time... just
give me time i'll be there