I predict the downfall of first person shooters in 2006 !!!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

Yes, we have already seen everything in these games and they are
getting BORING !

I predict the total crash of the first person shooter market in 2006,
especially because of non-existant software like Duke Nukem 3D and in
2006, there will be the big come-back of the text adventures !
18 answers Last reply
More about predict downfall person shooters 2006

    It's true!
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    > <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I want text adventures with shooting.
    >
    > ...from a first person perspective

    Here you go:

    http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91

    "FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
    much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."

    ===

    Hangar Entrance
    A dark squarish room. You are just inside the entry bay, which has
    closed
    behind you. There's no way out that way. Pillars obscure your view,
    and the
    viewport on the right lets in but little light. The centre of the room,
    the
    north, is depressed; a couple of steps lead down to it. A pillar
    prevents
    you
    moving to the northwest but your movement towards your left, to the
    west, is
    unhindered.
    You see a health bonus here.

    ===

    More at:

    http://doom.wikicities.com/wiki/FOOM!

    (The original link http://www.inetw.net/%7Esyclops/doom/foom.html
    appears to be dead.)

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    Tristan Beeline wrote:
    > Yes, we have already seen everything in these games and they are
    > getting BORING !
    >
    > I predict the total crash of the first person shooter market in 2006,
    > especially because of non-existant software like Duke Nukem 3D and in
    > 2006, there will be the big come-back of the text adventures !

    Although I suspect this is a troll post (I couldn't be bothered to find
    out what the other NG was - I just snipped it) it does raise an
    interesting question.

    Doom3 - criticised for it's repetition
    HL2 - criticised for it's lack of freedom of movement

    FarCry - praised for it's freedom of movement
    Boiling Point - praised for it's open gameplay
    GTA:SA - preaised for its open gameplay

    Now, Doom3 and HL2 were excellent games in their own right, but the
    fact that they are being criticised for something they never set out to
    do suggests that the gaming public demands more from a big release
    game.
    We've got the flashy graphics and 7.1 surround sound but it seems this
    is not enough.

    I think we will see the end of straight forward FPS games. The new
    Serious Sam may well be the last of them for a while, and will probably
    get away with it because the one thing Serious Sam does *not* do is to
    take itself seriously.

    For the future I would point at games like those mentioned above, and
    also Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint or IGI, where you have a certain
    freedom to choose how you play the game. This freedom seems to come in
    two broad types: freedom of movement and character development.

    Freedom of movement allows you to go where you please, when you please
    (within reason). You can approach an obstacle or goal from different
    angles and try out different tactics. You can time your approach to
    coincide with other events. You can ignore the primary goal and go off
    on sub-missions, or exploration.

    Character development is an RPG concept but essentially it allows you
    to acquire or improve skills, which will affect the way you play the
    game.

    These two concepts will only work well if the game contains lots of
    alternatives. For example Deus Ex was full of alternative routes to
    allow for the shooter, the sneaker and the gadget-man. Boiling Point
    appears to have lots of little details. The game world needs to react
    to the player.

    In sumary, I think we will see more hybrid games. FPS titles with RPG
    elements. Throw in vehicles and Havoc-style physics and I think you'd
    have a winner. I think that is the way FPS games will move in the future
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

    I want text adventures with shooting.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I want text adventures with shooting.

    ....from a first person perspective ;-)

    "oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Andrew wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
    >> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want text adventures with shooting.
    >>
    >> ...from a first person perspective
    >
    >Here you go:
    >
    >http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91
    >
    >"FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
    >much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."

    Or you could go to the other extreme of "text" Doom.

    http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

    See
    http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ss/
    for jpegs

    Xocyll

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    <snip the usual long dissertation>

    write less in this group and instead BUY MORE PC GAMES like
    a true pc gamer should do!

    ps: the original poster didn't deserve a reply cause everyone
    sees 2005 as a awesome year for pc games and fps

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >
    > <snip the usual long dissertation>
    >
    > write less in this group and instead BUY MORE PC GAMES like
    > a true pc gamer should do!

    Please take the same advice yourself.

    This is a newgroup for discussing games. You cannot buy (or play) games
    here. Therefore I offer my opinion to form part of a discussion.
    If you have a differing opinion, I'm sure we would all love to read it,
    provided you restrict your use of capital letters and exclamation marks
    and do not mention the S word.

    For example you say "everyone sees 2005 as a awesome year for pc games
    and fps". Ok, but what about 2006, which is what this thread is about?
    Do you think FPS games will continue in the same vein, with new
    weapons, new enemies and better graphics? Will we still hail such games
    as the best thing ever on the PC? Is good graphics enough? Or will the
    FPS genre need to innovate and include elements from other games, as I
    suggest?

    Paul Moloney wrote:
    > Chadwick wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Please stop responding to him; he's either a troll
    > or insane.

    Instead of being a netcop, how about you ignore him and try to
    responding to the actual discussion. I was merely trying to keep this
    thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.

    Andrew wrote:
    > On 15 Jun 2005 03:27:18 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Instead of being a netcop, how about you ignore him and try to
    > >responding to the actual discussion. I was merely trying to keep this
    > >thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.
    >
    > We are desperately trying to ignore him, it is you who bring him to
    > our screens. You know perfectly well by now that any attempts to
    > engage him in a rational discussion is completely pointless.

    Ignore him then. Offer an opinion on the thread instead. If you want to
    go around bashing everyone who responds to SayNo then can I suggest you
    start with Roger Christie, whose frequent responses of "Piss off Troll"
    serves only to bump the thread and does nothing to advance the
    discussion - something I usually try to do.

    Let's just drop it there - this thread has already been derailed enough
    for one day. I've invited SayNO to respond on topic, and I hope that
    anyone else reading this thread will do the same if they have anything
    to say.

    Chadwick wrote:

    [snip]

    Please stop responding to him; he's either a troll
    or insane.

    P.
    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
    to send back soup in a deli."

    It causes no end of amusment to me and my colleagues that this teenager is
    *still* flooding dozens of newsgroups with posts featuring silly titles and
    tedious content ... and hasn't got bored yet! I admit that it's quite good
    fun to laugh at him and guess at his true age (my money's on 15 although
    some of my collegaues would place him as low as 13 or even 12). Now I'll be
    honest and say that his posts have gotten rather boring and predictable of
    late and that it's just not as much fun laughing at him anymore. So I can
    only hope that school keeps him away from the net for a while, at least
    until we all need to have a good laugh at him again!

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >"oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
    >entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
    >say:
    >
    >>Andrew wrote:

    >>> ...from a first person perspective
    >>
    >>Here you go:
    >>
    >>http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91
    >>
    >>"FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
    >>much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."
    >
    >Or you could go to the other extreme of "text" Doom.
    >
    >http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/
    >
    >See
    >http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ss/
    >for jpegs

    You guys forgot about Doom RogueLike.

    On 15 Jun 2005 08:19:40 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Let's just drop it there - this thread has already been derailed enough
    >for one day. I've invited SayNO to respond on topic, and I hope that
    >anyone else reading this thread will do the same if they have anything
    >to say.

    This thread was started by another troll, the concept of it being
    derailed is laughable.

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1118831238.911812.210520
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > I was merely trying to keep this
    > thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.

    Teaching a pig to sing would be a more productive use of your time.

    stePH
    --
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the
    pig." -- Anon. of Ibid.

    x-no-archive: yes

    Chadwick wrote:

    <snip>

    i've say this before... gameplay is not the issue
    great pc games are released every year and fps are still for
    me one of the greatest kinds and show lots of potential in
    the future to expand
    so gameplay, game design, graphics and technical evolution is
    not what i worry about 2006
    what i worry are all the threats i've been warning this
    group about but unfortunately most of the posters don't care
    about cause they are lazy careless and lack vision
    what will be the reason for the downfall in pc games is:
    .. steam
    .. piracy
    .. unfair competition from consoles
    those are the 3 main threats to pc games
    those are the issues we must focus on
    those are the fights we have ahead
    and you by buying pc games (steam free) you are doing your role
    to protect promote and support pc games
    that was the only thing i told you
    now if you feel insulted by me trying to make you buy pc games
    i'm sorry... but one thing you cannot accuse me, its only asking
    you cause you witness me inviting every single pc gamer in this
    group to buy more!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > i've say this before... gameplay is not the issue
    > great pc games are released every year and fps are still for
    > me one of the greatest kinds and show lots of potential in
    > the future to expand
    > so gameplay, game design, graphics and technical evolution is
    > not what i worry about 2006
    > what i worry are all the threats i've been warning this
    > group about but unfortunately most of the posters don't care
    > about cause they are lazy careless and lack vision

    Ah, to hell with it.

    I thought there was a potentially interesting discussion here, about
    how we see FPS games evolving over the next 18 months. Yes, it was
    started by a troll, but I thought it could backfire and become a
    serious discussion.

    Alas, how wrong was I? It looks like we'd rather just bicker and change
    the subject than talk about PC Action Games. Well, my opinion on the
    subject is above and I think we can all see that SayNO doesn't care
    what happens to FPS games so long as they don't use
    Steam/consoles/piracy (that's being a true gamer, folks). Andrew
    doesn't have an opinion on the future of FPS games, he thinks it's more
    important to discuss who I reply to (sorry, Andrew, but I've done it
    again haven't I?).

    I'm off to find some talent for Pig Idol....

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games