I predict the downfall of first person shooters in 2006 !!!

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2005 6:33:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

Yes, we have already seen everything in these games and they are
getting BORING !

I predict the total crash of the first person shooter market in 2006,
especially because of non-existant software like Duke Nukem 3D and in
2006, there will be the big come-back of the text adventures !
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:35:45 AM

It's true!
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:21:33 AM

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I want text adventures with shooting.
>
> ...from a first person perspective

Here you go:

http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91

"FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."

===

Hangar Entrance
A dark squarish room. You are just inside the entry bay, which has
closed
behind you. There's no way out that way. Pillars obscure your view,
and the
viewport on the right lets in but little light. The centre of the room,
the
north, is depressed; a couple of steps lead down to it. A pillar
prevents
you
moving to the northwest but your movement towards your left, to the
west, is
unhindered.
You see a health bonus here.

===

More at:

http://doom.wikicities.com/wiki/FOOM!

(The original link http://www.inetw.net/%7Esyclops/doom/foom.html
appears to be dead.)

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
June 14, 2005 7:43:47 AM

Tristan Beeline wrote:
> Yes, we have already seen everything in these games and they are
> getting BORING !
>
> I predict the total crash of the first person shooter market in 2006,
> especially because of non-existant software like Duke Nukem 3D and in
> 2006, there will be the big come-back of the text adventures !

Although I suspect this is a troll post (I couldn't be bothered to find
out what the other NG was - I just snipped it) it does raise an
interesting question.

Doom3 - criticised for it's repetition
HL2 - criticised for it's lack of freedom of movement

FarCry - praised for it's freedom of movement
Boiling Point - praised for it's open gameplay
GTA:SA - preaised for its open gameplay

Now, Doom3 and HL2 were excellent games in their own right, but the
fact that they are being criticised for something they never set out to
do suggests that the gaming public demands more from a big release
game.
We've got the flashy graphics and 7.1 surround sound but it seems this
is not enough.

I think we will see the end of straight forward FPS games. The new
Serious Sam may well be the last of them for a while, and will probably
get away with it because the one thing Serious Sam does *not* do is to
take itself seriously.

For the future I would point at games like those mentioned above, and
also Deus Ex, Operation Flashpoint or IGI, where you have a certain
freedom to choose how you play the game. This freedom seems to come in
two broad types: freedom of movement and character development.

Freedom of movement allows you to go where you please, when you please
(within reason). You can approach an obstacle or goal from different
angles and try out different tactics. You can time your approach to
coincide with other events. You can ignore the primary goal and go off
on sub-missions, or exploration.

Character development is an RPG concept but essentially it allows you
to acquire or improve skills, which will affect the way you play the
game.

These two concepts will only work well if the game contains lots of
alternatives. For example Deus Ex was full of alternative routes to
allow for the shooter, the sneaker and the gadget-man. Boiling Point
appears to have lots of little details. The game world needs to react
to the player.

In sumary, I think we will see more hybrid games. FPS titles with RPG
elements. Throw in vehicles and Havoc-style physics and I think you'd
have a winner. I think that is the way FPS games will move in the future
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:54:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

I want text adventures with shooting.
June 14, 2005 2:54:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,finet.unet (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I want text adventures with shooting.

....from a first person perspective ;-)
June 15, 2005 1:34:38 AM

"oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Andrew wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:54:47 +0100, "One Punch Mickey"
>> <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want text adventures with shooting.
>>
>> ...from a first person perspective
>
>Here you go:
>
>http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91
>
>"FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
>much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."

Or you could go to the other extreme of "text" Doom.

http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

See
http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ss/
for jpegs

Xocyll
June 15, 2005 2:36:45 AM

x-no-archive: yes

Chadwick wrote:

<snip the usual long dissertation>

write less in this group and instead BUY MORE PC GAMES like
a true pc gamer should do!

ps: the original poster didn't deserve a reply cause everyone
sees 2005 as a awesome year for pc games and fps

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Chadwick wrote:
>
> <snip the usual long dissertation>
>
> write less in this group and instead BUY MORE PC GAMES like
> a true pc gamer should do!

Please take the same advice yourself.

This is a newgroup for discussing games. You cannot buy (or play) games
here. Therefore I offer my opinion to form part of a discussion.
If you have a differing opinion, I'm sure we would all love to read it,
provided you restrict your use of capital letters and exclamation marks
and do not mention the S word.

For example you say "everyone sees 2005 as a awesome year for pc games
and fps". Ok, but what about 2006, which is what this thread is about?
Do you think FPS games will continue in the same vein, with new
weapons, new enemies and better graphics? Will we still hail such games
as the best thing ever on the PC? Is good graphics enough? Or will the
FPS genre need to innovate and include elements from other games, as I
suggest?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:27:18 AM

Paul Moloney wrote:
> Chadwick wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Please stop responding to him; he's either a troll
> or insane.

Instead of being a netcop, how about you ignore him and try to
responding to the actual discussion. I was merely trying to keep this
thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:19:40 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2005 03:27:18 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Instead of being a netcop, how about you ignore him and try to
> >responding to the actual discussion. I was merely trying to keep this
> >thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.
>
> We are desperately trying to ignore him, it is you who bring him to
> our screens. You know perfectly well by now that any attempts to
> engage him in a rational discussion is completely pointless.

Ignore him then. Offer an opinion on the thread instead. If you want to
go around bashing everyone who responds to SayNo then can I suggest you
start with Roger Christie, whose frequent responses of "Piss off Troll"
serves only to bump the thread and does nothing to advance the
discussion - something I usually try to do.

Let's just drop it there - this thread has already been derailed enough
for one day. I've invited SayNO to respond on topic, and I hope that
anyone else reading this thread will do the same if they have anything
to say.
June 15, 2005 2:33:27 PM

wrote:

>Instead of being a netcop, how about you ignore him and try to
>responding to the actual discussion. I was merely trying to keep this
>thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.

We are desperately trying to ignore him, it is you who bring him to
our screens. You know perfectly well by now that any attempts to
engage him in a rational discussion is completely pointless.
June 15, 2005 3:10:34 PM

Chadwick wrote:

[snip]

Please stop responding to him; he's either a troll
or insane.

P.
--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:27:12 PM

It causes no end of amusment to me and my colleagues that this teenager is
*still* flooding dozens of newsgroups with posts featuring silly titles and
tedious content ... and hasn't got bored yet! I admit that it's quite good
fun to laugh at him and guess at his true age (my money's on 15 although
some of my collegaues would place him as low as 13 or even 12). Now I'll be
honest and say that his posts have gotten rather boring and predictable of
late and that it's just not as much fun laughing at him anymore. So I can
only hope that school keeps him away from the net for a while, at least
until we all need to have a good laugh at him again!
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:00:25 PM

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>"oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>Andrew wrote:

>>> ...from a first person perspective
>>
>>Here you go:
>>
>>http://www.wurb.com/if/game/91
>>
>>"FooM: The first level of Doom as a text adventure. Not
>>much of a game - more of a curiosity or proof of concept."
>
>Or you could go to the other extreme of "text" Doom.
>
>http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/
>
>See
>http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ss/
>for jpegs

You guys forgot about Doom RogueLike.
June 15, 2005 7:48:11 PM

On 15 Jun 2005 08:19:40 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Let's just drop it there - this thread has already been derailed enough
>for one day. I've invited SayNO to respond on topic, and I hope that
>anyone else reading this thread will do the same if they have anything
>to say.

This thread was started by another troll, the concept of it being
derailed is laughable.
June 16, 2005 12:15:45 AM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1118831238.911812.210520
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I was merely trying to keep this
> thread on track and prompt some kind of an on-topic response.

Teaching a pig to sing would be a more productive use of your time.

stePH
--
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the
pig." -- Anon. of Ibid.

x-no-archive: yes

Chadwick wrote:

<snip>

i've say this before... gameplay is not the issue
great pc games are released every year and fps are still for
me one of the greatest kinds and show lots of potential in
the future to expand
so gameplay, game design, graphics and technical evolution is
not what i worry about 2006
what i worry are all the threats i've been warning this
group about but unfortunately most of the posters don't care
about cause they are lazy careless and lack vision
what will be the reason for the downfall in pc games is:
.. steam
.. piracy
.. unfair competition from consoles
those are the 3 main threats to pc games
those are the issues we must focus on
those are the fights we have ahead
and you by buying pc games (steam free) you are doing your role
to protect promote and support pc games
that was the only thing i told you
now if you feel insulted by me trying to make you buy pc games
i'm sorry... but one thing you cannot accuse me, its only asking
you cause you witness me inviting every single pc gamer in this
group to buy more!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:45:29 AM

steamKILLER wrote:
> i've say this before... gameplay is not the issue
> great pc games are released every year and fps are still for
> me one of the greatest kinds and show lots of potential in
> the future to expand
> so gameplay, game design, graphics and technical evolution is
> not what i worry about 2006
> what i worry are all the threats i've been warning this
> group about but unfortunately most of the posters don't care
> about cause they are lazy careless and lack vision

Ah, to hell with it.

I thought there was a potentially interesting discussion here, about
how we see FPS games evolving over the next 18 months. Yes, it was
started by a troll, but I thought it could backfire and become a
serious discussion.

Alas, how wrong was I? It looks like we'd rather just bicker and change
the subject than talk about PC Action Games. Well, my opinion on the
subject is above and I think we can all see that SayNO doesn't care
what happens to FPS games so long as they don't use
Steam/consoles/piracy (that's being a true gamer, folks). Andrew
doesn't have an opinion on the future of FPS games, he thinks it's more
important to discuss who I reply to (sorry, Andrew, but I've done it
again haven't I?).

I'm off to find some talent for Pig Idol....
!