When should we see Serial ATA hard disks out?

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
S-ATA is pretty much the only thing I'm still holding out for before building a new system. Shuttle's 648 board looks great and has S-ATA support on it, but it'd be dumb to shell out a bunch of cash and not even have a serial drive to stick in it.

So does anyone have a good estimate as to when some S-ATA drives should hit the market? Though I've searched a bit, I'm somewhat of a nOOb, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
It is new technology, best to wait for the release and then some more for the bugs to be ironed out. Thats my opinion anyway, otherwise I buy for the future in mind.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

utcomputerboy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
They drives exist as prototypes. The manufactures are waiting to ship till end of the year. If you wait till then maybe hammer and nv30 will be out. Even if you don't want them they will drop the prices of other high-end hardware, could save you some money. But S-ATA is worth it, lots of benefits if you don't need a new computer right away.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
serial ata will come out as soon as people stop asking when it will come out LOL

seriously, you could get parallel drives now, then get an extra converter later when serial eventually becomes a reality.

<b>Due to Customer Complaints, this sig has been witdrawn from public use. Thankyou. :lol: </b>