Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Screen goes blank when I more the computer case.

Last response: in Windows 7
April 30, 2012 7:51:38 PM

hello everyone, I know this question is kinda weird but I would appreciate an input.
when I move my computer case like trying to plug something in the back tray and I accedintly hit the case with my elbow and such, my screen goes blank, or when I try to pull the case a little bit to reach for something.

I have checked my connections and everything seems in place.

is that normal or an underline problem?

thank you all for the help.
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 7:59:51 PM

You got a loose connection somewhere.

Could be power, or the video card into the motherboard.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 7:59:53 PM

did you put the standoff post between the case and motherboard something is making short on power
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 8:04:07 PM

yes I did, so your saying its not normal when for the screen to go blank when I move the case ?
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 8:05:49 PM

Are you using a DVI connection or VGA? Some cables are more susceptible to noise (EMI/RFI) than others. Try replacing the cable or keeping it away from other cables/wires whil you are moving your case.
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:08:26 PM

am using dvi to HDMI connected to 32 HDTV, I do not run to any kind of trouble when am using the pc, only when I want to connect somthing behind the case and when I pull the screen goes blank.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 8:08:56 PM

that is very odd

never seen that before, personally i think it might be a loose connection/cable
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:09:44 PM

I do think there is a short somewhere cuz i remember earlier today i had to loosen up of the standoff screws on the motherboard that was causing the short, I will try removing it completelly and then give it a try (shake) and see.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 8:14:57 PM

put something very thin between the post and the motherboard to serve as isolation to avoid short
m
l
April 30, 2012 8:41:15 PM

I guess I know what caused the issue, few weeks ago my h100 busted on me so I had to mod my cm v10 to fit in the m59, the v10 doesnt support lga 2011 by default so I removed the whole socket that holds the processor in place, so I mounted the v10 directly on the processor with no socket, and the v10 is heavy so am assuming when I move the case or left it up a bit, the v10 moves the processors slightly as well, its only a theory but thats seems the case.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:00:18 PM

fastwing76 said:
yes I did, so your saying its not normal when for the screen to go blank when I move the case ?

No, that's not normal :lol: 

If you keep shorting out your PC like that, you are risking losing the processor, mobo and ram. Fix it right.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:58:59 PM

I have checked all the cables, and everything seems to be in place, so is my speculation about the heatsink and processor correct ?
m
l
May 1, 2012 1:42:51 PM

guys what is the best cpu air cooler for LGA 2011, Noctua NH-D14 SE2011?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 1:49:37 PM

You are lucky you still have a working CPU. Very lucky.
m
l
May 1, 2012 1:51:45 PM

vrumor said:
You are lucky you still have a working CPU. Very lucky.

so your saying that the cpu cooler is is the one that is causing this and that my speculation is right ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 1:55:11 PM

You removed the socket that is supposed to be there to support the HSF. That can cause all kinds of problems, when you move your case, the fan shifts and the CPU wobbles in the socket. It isnt the cooler, its you. Get the correct HSF for your socket type.
m
l
May 1, 2012 2:30:34 PM

vrumor said:
You removed the socket that is supposed to be there to support the HSF. That can cause all kinds of problems, when you move your case, the fan shifts and the CPU wobbles in the socket. It isnt the cooler, its you. Get the correct HSF for your socket type.

I understand that but I had no choice, the i7 3820 doesnt come with a cpu heatsink, otherwise I would have used it as a backup, but instead I just used the v10 since the h100 stopped working, and I do not live in USA, so its a bit of a hazle to get the h100 replaced. I kinda suspected this from the begening thats why I asked, thanks alot for confirming anyway, I will just order a new cpu coolers that support the socket as soon as possible, to have this fixed, until then I won`t move the case at all.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 3:31:49 PM

fastwing76 said:
I understand that but I had no choice, the i7 3820 doesnt come with a cpu heatsink, otherwise I would have used it as a backup, but instead I just used the v10 since the h100 stopped working, and I do not live in USA, so its a bit of a hazle to get the h100 replaced. I kinda suspected this from the begening thats why I asked, thanks alot for confirming anyway, I will just order a new cpu coolers that support the socket as soon as possible, to have this fixed, until then I won`t move the case at all.

Even without moving it you may short it out -- figure that is quite a bit of weight and the bracket is designed to keep the MOBO from buckling under the weight so having it on there without the bracket can cause warping of the MOBO and that could cause it to contact the MOBO tray and could permenantly damage the CPU and\or MOBO and other components - SO I'd just not use the system until you get a proper mount in place !!
May 1, 2012 3:48:44 PM

JDFan said:
Even without moving it you may short it out -- figure that is quite a bit of weight and the bracket is designed to keep the MOBO from buckling under the weight so having it on there without the bracket can cause warping of the MOBO and that could cause it to contact the MOBO tray and could permenantly damage the CPU and\or MOBO and other components - SO I'd just not use the system until you get a proper mount in place !!

:ouch:  thanks for the warning man. I will change the cpu cooler as soon as possible.
m
l
May 8, 2012 12:09:33 AM

Best answer selected by fastwing76.
m
l
!