Medal of Honor vs. Call of Duty

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

As an "old gamer" who has played both, go with CoD if you only have one. Get
both the original and the add on, you will not be disapointed.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

I also recommend Call of Duty... As mentioned in the other post - MOH to
have many scripted/difficult areas of play which weren't what I was looking
for in a game (being difficult wasn't the problem - I'm OK with that, but
you end up stuck in a very scripted sequence that is difficult to get
through)... i.e. Getting of the beach is essentially an exercise in making
it a few feet, doing a quick save, then repeating the next segment until you
eventually make it off the beach and through the defences... unless 9 out of
10 people were killed on the beach (losses were high but not that high) not
realistic and not fun... note: I'm sure there's a path through that makes it
easy, but again... finding the path the programmer wanted me to find isn't
what I look for in a game like this... Another example is a segment of the
Battle of the Bulge in which you are a gunner on a halftrack and have no
control of where it's going etc and just have to blast away and hope to make
it through (another example where it degenerates to a game of make a little
progress, and save the game just to make it through the scripted
sequence...)

Call of Duty has some tough sections as well, but tactics can be used and
your actions aren't scripted so much as the terrain "guides" you through the
scenarios...

Mike

jeffc wrote:
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

I really enjoyed MoH up to the sniper town level. At that point it was
move 10 feet, get sniped, figure out where the sniper is... reload. Now
move to the safe spot to kill that sniper. Save game. Repeat.

That part was no fun, really. I just got to a point right after that
and was going to continue but I have since lost my save games so now I
get to do all that over again. If I ever feel up to it.

You can get MoH + both expansion packs for around $30-$40 new.

Call of Duty is a hella lot of fun also, I am up to a part where you
have to hold a bridge and it's finally getting somewhat difficult but I
can still make progress without too much irritation. You can get Call
of Duty Deluxe which includes the expansion pack for $35-40 new.

I truely recommend both games but at this point if I *HAD* to pick just
one I would probably go with CoD, even though you'll be missing a lot
of GREAT moments from MoH which has some very cool spots in it.

I especially liked the Omaha Beach level in MoH even if it was
difficult to do, it was very satisfying to beat once you figured out
the pattern of the incoming fire. There's also a level where you have
to find some special rocket launchers and destroy them. The parts
leading up to that are really good, there's a skirmish with you and a
bunch of AI squad mates in a war-blasted town that was really fun. If
you want to see that level, just download the SP demo of MoH which has
that level in it.

The funny thing is, while I've had a really fun time playing CoD, I
just don't seem to remember the levels as much as the MoH ones. Except
for the one where you're in the car running around trying to dodge
german tanks and soldiers. That one was a hoot.

I recently got Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, yet another WW2
themed shooter. But I can't make a recommendation for or against it
yet, haven't played it enough. Same situation for MoH:pacific. Also I
haven't played any of those games online much. But all of them do offer
online modes. It's pretty hard to beat BF1942 for online WW2 action,
though.

--
Knight37
http://knightgames.blogspot.com

fisher

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:54:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote:

>As an "old gamer" who has played both, go with CoD if you only have one. Get
>both the original and the add on, you will not be disapointed.

I've heard the add-on is overly difficult. I only played the original
game.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Call of Duty.....the more recent ...better graphics....basicly a
"shooter"....a fun one...widely considered the better of MOH ....
MOH is very,very scripted ...your pushed along a rigid single path..
The more recent "Medal of Honor Pacific Assault" is perhaps better with
up-to-date graphics ..many reviews here...
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/medalofhonorpacificassault
Luv mouse
@@@@@

schrodinger

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

Not an answer to your question, I know, but Brothers In Arms is a bit more
about tactics and less run and gun - might suit an "older gamer". I think
it was better than the other two with very similar subject material and
required specs.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:28:44 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:

>"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?
>
>Not an answer to your question, I know, but Brothers In Arms is a bit more
>about tactics and less run and gun - might suit an "older gamer". I think
>it was better than the other two with very similar subject material and
>required specs.

Brothers In Arms is a complete resource hog. Of course if someone has
an up to date computer it won't be as much of a problem but for me it
was just unresponsive enough to make it thoroughly annoying. So
unfortunatly if the OP doesn't have an up to date computer it might
rule out brothers in arms. I have an athlon XP3200 but it's my
geforce 4 4400 that killed my experience.

To answer the question I also suggest COD and it's expansion United
Offensive.

jeffc wrote:
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun
> game?

Both are good, but CoD has the edge and is easier - or
at least, has a consistent level of difficulty. In Medal of Honor,
there are a few levels that are annoyingly hard.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Schrodinger wrote:

> "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?
>
> Not an answer to your question, I know, but Brothers In Arms is a bit more
> about tactics and less run and gun - might suit an "older gamer". I think

You missed to say that compared to MOH and COD BIA is completely boring,
doing all the same tactics all over again in all the same landscape...

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?

Medal of Honor without a doubt. The other guys just didnt read your question
properly.
Call of Duty is fun but its also more hectic and explosive - its more about
responding to
what the games throws at you and quickly. MoH had more of traditional
singleplayer
gameplay with plenty of sneaking around solo as well as a few hectic run and
gun levels.
The current craze is for squad games which tend to be more hectic and driven
and dont allow you to proceed
at your own pace very much and that unfortunately includes Pacific Assault.
Allied Assault is still king if you like a bit more variety.

shawk

"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:54:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
> <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote:
>

>>As an "old gamer" who has played both, go with CoD if you only have one.
>>Get
>>both the original and the add on, you will not be disapointed.
>
> I've heard the add-on is overly difficult. I only played the original
> game.

Overly difficult? Nah. It's challenging but it's do-able without ever
getting frustrating. Worth trying if you liked the first game IMHO.

shawk

"knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> jeffc wrote:
>> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun
>> game?
>
> I really enjoyed MoH up to the sniper town level. At that point it was
> move 10 feet, get sniped, figure out where the sniper is... reload. Now
> move to the safe spot to kill that sniper. Save game. Repeat.

One of my favourite parts of the game. I really enjoyed the change of pace.

> Call of Duty is a hella lot of fun also, I am up to a part where you
> have to hold a bridge and it's finally getting somewhat difficult but I
> can still make progress without too much irritation.

Pegasus Bridge. Excellent but damn challenging level. Worth it if you make
it through as the stirring music fades up.

If you can afford it get both but play MOHAA first. COD does have the edge.
COD UO is also good but I couldn't get into MOHPA. Really looking forward
to COD2.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:53:05 -0400, "Mike Moore"
<mmoore327@rogers.com> wrote:

>"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun game?
>>

>I also recommend Call of Duty... As mentioned in the other post - MOH to
>have many scripted/difficult areas of play which weren't what I was looking
>for in a game (being difficult wasn't the problem - I'm OK with that, but
>you end up stuck in a very scripted sequence that is difficult to get
>through)... i.e. Getting of the beach is essentially an exercise in making
>it a few feet, doing a quick save, then repeating the next segment until you
>eventually make it off the beach and through the defences... unless 9 out of
>10 people were killed on the beach (losses were high but not that high) not
>realistic and not fun... note: I'm sure there's a path through that makes it
>easy, but again... finding the path the programmer wanted me to find isn't
>what I look for in a game like this.

It's not a path, but an action. Crouching behind the obstacles
makes you unhittable. Duck behind it until they stop shooting at you,
run up to the next one, wait until they stop shooting at you. Repeat
as needed, if you get hit just stop next to a medic.

Once you figure out the trick it becomes a piece of cake to
complete.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:38:31 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:54:05 -0400, "Dr_Dickie"
>> <Dr_Dicke@chembench.com> wrote:
>>

>>>As an "old gamer" who has played both, go with CoD if you only have one.
>>>Get
>>>both the original and the add on, you will not be disapointed.
>>
>> I've heard the add-on is overly difficult. I only played the original
>> game.
>
>Overly difficult? Nah. It's challenging but it's do-able without ever
>getting frustrating. Worth trying if you liked the first game IMHO.

And the good news for the add-on is that you won't have to the same
dam mission in two directions.

Anyone who's played the original knows exactly what I'm talking
about. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

jeffc wrote:

<snip>

buying pc games is supporting your favorite hobby
buy both
both need to be bought
and by buying both you can then participate in our monthly
poll of pc games bought and you will have the privilege of
featuring a high ranking among us

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

schrodinger

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun
>> > game?
>>
>> Not an answer to your question, I know, but Brothers In Arms is a bit
>> more
>> about tactics and less run and gun - might suit an "older gamer". I
>> think
>
> You missed to say that compared to MOH and COD BIA is completely boring,
> doing all the same tactics all over again in all the same landscape...
>
> --
> Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de)

I didn't "miss to say it" as I don't think it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I figured that out eventually, but still found at each segment (run between
obstacles) I had to restore a relatively large number of times to make it...

I guess reflexes aren't what they used to be :)...

Mike

steamKILLER schrieb:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> jeffc wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> buying pc games is supporting your favorite hobby
> buy both
> both need to be bought
> and by buying both you can then participate in our monthly
> poll of pc games bought and you will have the privilege of
> featuring a high ranking among us
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

Hi

as an older gamer (45+), I play CoD UO only online. There are good
reality servers (S&D mode).
Offline CoD and UO are action games. For offline gaming I would prefere
Hidden & Dangerous 2!

Michael

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Be wary of COD United Offensive's system requirements. I could run COD
happily on my set up (XP200+, Igb, Ti4600) but the addon would run like a
dog. Change of graphics card to 9700 pro helped but the real benefits came
from upgrading to XP64 3000. Mind you I still get slow downs ocasionally.

Of the 3 games COD is the one I replay the most, MOH is OK but linear and
Brothers is so much an Xbox port over and heavily scripted and no 5.1 sound.

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:38:31 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

> >"Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message

> >> I've heard the add-on is overly difficult. I only played the original
> >> game.
> >
> >Overly difficult? Nah. It's challenging but it's do-able without ever
> >getting frustrating. Worth trying if you liked the first game IMHO.
>
> And the good news for the add-on is that you won't have to the same
> dam mission in two directions.
>
> Anyone who's played the original knows exactly what I'm talking
> about. :)
>
> --
> "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability
> of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I agree, the Pegasus Bridge senario is outstanding. Getting through on
veteral level gives you a real sense of survial and achievment.

Sleepy wrote:
> "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun
>> game?

> Medal of Honor without a doubt. The other guys just didnt read your
> question properly.

A tad presumptious, n'êtes-vous pas? Call of Duty is indeed hectic, but
not actually that difficult; sometimes there's lots of noise, screaming and
explosions, but often not aimed at you; it's just for background.

You seem to suggest sneaking around solo is automatically easier, but
there's two levels like that in Medal of Honour that are infuriatingly
difficult to the point that I stopped playing the game. I pretty much
breezed through the whole of CoD in contrast.

--

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sleepy wrote:
>> "jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>> Which one for an older gamer who is looking for the easier, more fun
>>> game?
>
>> Medal of Honor without a doubt. The other guys just didnt read your
>> question properly.
>
> A tad presumptious, n'êtes-vous pas? Call of Duty is indeed hectic, but
> not actually that difficult; sometimes there's lots of noise, screaming
> and
> explosions, but often not aimed at you; it's just for background.
>
> You seem to suggest sneaking around solo is automatically easier, but
> there's two levels like that in Medal of Honour that are infuriatingly
> difficult to the point that I stopped playing the game. I pretty much
> breezed through the whole of CoD in contrast.

not easier no - but as an older gamer myself I know I like games that have
some slower levels where you use your brain more - Call of Duty is fun but
its more of a fast reflex game and a bit unrelenting.
do you refer to the sniper town level ? I really liked that one myself.