Your question

Toshiba Satellite Keyboard and trackpad not working

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 8:02:29 PM

I have a Toshiba Satelitte A505-S6965

Specs are below

Issue:
I have an issue with my keyboard and trackpad not working after windows loads. Keyboard will work in BIOS but when windows loads it stops working and isn't even in Device manager unless the PS/2 keyboard is the keyboard on this laptop (not sure). I've tried taking battery out and holding the power button for 5-15 secs then booting back up with out success. I've tried putting the BIOS to default settings with out success. I've tried looking for the drivers but there seems to be nothing for the keyboard and the trackpad drivers are downloaded and installed but still doesn't show up in device manager nor work.

Everything that has happened up to this point
Downloaded Aion (the Game)
Downloaded Ventrillo
Downloaded Game Booster
Took laptop to my dad house turned it on keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Questions
If the trackpad isn't hooked up with the keyboard not work as well? I noticed a wire bent on the trackpad ribbion tried to fix it fell off. But even after it fell off trackpad and keyboard worked.

What all can cause the keyboard and trackpad to stop working?

Specs
Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 / 2.0 GHz Dual-Core
4 GB RAM
Windows 7
500 GB HDD Serial ATA-150
DVD RW

More specs here http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a505-...;subnav
a b $ Windows 7
April 30, 2012 10:19:06 PM

Also the computer doesn't restart properly I'm not sure as to why this is happening either I'm beginning to think that the MoBo is going bad but would still like to run through the troubleshooting. I'll try all suggestions thanks.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 352 $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 4:31:05 PM

Remove the HID devices from device manager, have Windows re-find them. This can happen with driver issues. Although if you have bad hardware, who knows how Windows will detect it. Whatever that broken cable was may not be needed or even seen in the BIOS but when Windows tries, may cause issues.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 6:13:28 AM

When I remove the cable to the trackpad do I need to uninstall the trackpad? Also an update I was moving my brothers laptop (the one in question) and the keyboard started working, but after my brother closed the lid and let it sit over night the keyboard stopped working again. So I tried to re create the situation and plug the usb keyboard back in and see if the keyboard started working again, but it didn't work. I've still yet to remove the cable just waiting to see if I need to uninstall the trackpad.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 352 $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 2:37:17 PM

The external keyboard should not have issues if the internal one does, unless it's causing issues detecting the device. I'd try a new keyboard, don't want to use one with a broken connector. Could be something loose. You can also disable the trackpad in the BIOS (should be able to at least, I have seen laptops with that option) and see if that helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2013 5:31:56 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The external keyboard should not have issues if the internal one does, unless it's causing issues detecting the device. I'd try a new keyboard, don't want to use one with a broken connector. Could be something loose. You can also disable the trackpad in the BIOS (should be able to at least, I have seen laptops with that option) and see if that helps.

So I apologies for not updating this thread for others to see. I have somewhat fixed the issue. I removed the trackpad ribbon (will buy and replace soon), and now the keyboard magically is working again (awesome). I have purchased a wireless mouse (first tested to see if wired usb mouse would work) and it works. The main issue now is the computer takes forever to start. At startup the bios screen shows and it seems to POST but after POST (and I'm guessing POST is not issue) a black screen with a blinking cursor (or underscore line) shows, then the cursor stops blinking and the computer sits. For about 30secs to 1min the laptop will set before finally loading into windows fine and the computer seems to work fine. I'm going to start a new thread though with this issue so others with that may have this issue can see the solution.
m
l
!