better 8ch pre amp or extra good stereo pre for vocals?

I'm wondering what the next buy would be for my studio..

Here's my setup:

Pentium IV 2,4Ghz
Win 2000 pro
1 Gb ram
120Gb disk

RME Multiface
Behringer ADA8000 8channel pre amp w adat
BEhringer headphone Amp
Behringer minimixer (monitoring only)
Samson Resolv 65a monitors+Sub
Audix Drum mics (D1,D2,D4,D6, mt1290hc)
T-Bone sc450 for vocals and overheads

I'm not sure if I should get a better 8ch pre like Focusrite
Octaptre+adat

or a better extra Stereo pre for vocals,...

The drum sound good with behringer, vocals not always.

oh, and I'm testing a Neumann tlm193 that I could purchase for about 450
Euros, good buy?

Thanks a lot-
5 answers Last reply
More about better extra good stereo vocals

    >From: "McSim" mcsim@skynet.be
    >Date: 9/5/04 8:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time

    >I'm wondering what the next buy would be for my studio..
    >
    >Here's my setup:
    >
    >Pentium IV 2,4Ghz
    >Win 2000 pro
    >1 Gb ram
    >120Gb disk
    >
    >RME Multiface
    >Behringer ADA8000 8channel pre amp w adat
    >BEhringer headphone Amp
    >Behringer minimixer (monitoring only)
    >Samson Resolv 65a monitors+Sub
    >Audix Drum mics (D1,D2,D4,D6, mt1290hc)
    >T-Bone sc450 for vocals and overheads
    >
    >I'm not sure if I should get a better 8ch pre like Focusrite
    >Octaptre+adat

    >or a better extra Stereo pre for vocals,...
    >
    >The drum sound good with behringer, vocals not always.
    >
    >oh, and I'm testing a Neumann tlm193 that I could purchase for about 450
    >Euros, good buy?

    How do your room's sound and/or test out? You should always start with the
    environment first.

    "McSim" <mcsim@skynet.be> wrote in message

    > I'm not sure if I should get a better 8ch pre like Focusrite
    > Octaptre+adat

    > or a better extra Stereo pre for vocals,...

    Since the main thing you'd use an 8-channel for is recording a drum kit, and
    you say:

    > The drum sound good with behringer, vocals not always.

    I'd suggest the better stereo pre. A Great River isn't something you'd ever
    regret.

    > oh, and I'm testing a Neumann tlm193 that I could purchase for about 450
    > Euros, good buy?

    Very, assuming of course that it's working.

    Peace,
    Paul

    In article <K7T_c.558302$Gx4.382724@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

    > Since the main thing you'd use an 8-channel for is recording a drum kit, and
    > you say:
    >
    > > The drum sound good with behringer, vocals not always.
    >
    > I'd suggest the better stereo pre. A Great River isn't something you'd ever
    > regret.

    Many people find that drums sound better when recorded with a certain
    amount of distortion, so the Behringer mic inputs may actually be
    cheap and beneficial signal processing, but a processor that you can't
    easily turn off.

    Vocals almost always work better when recorded as cleanly as possible,
    leaving the "wooliness" as something that you add or not later on.
    While he's still in the Behringer mode, I wouldn't necessarily
    recommend a $2500 mic preamp investment, but he can get a channel or
    two of clean for not too much more than the cost of his mixer.

    > In article <K7T_c.558302$Gx4.382724@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
    pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

    > > Since the main thing you'd use an 8-channel for is recording a drum kit,
    and
    > > you say:
    > >
    > > > The drum sound good with behringer, vocals not always.
    > >
    > > I'd suggest the better stereo pre. A Great River isn't something you'd
    ever
    > > regret.
    >
    > Many people find that drums sound better when recorded with a certain
    > amount of distortion, so the Behringer mic inputs may actually be
    > cheap and beneficial signal processing, but a processor that you can't
    > easily turn off.
    >
    > Vocals almost always work better when recorded as cleanly as possible,
    > leaving the "wooliness" as something that you add or not later on.
    > While he's still in the Behringer mode, I wouldn't necessarily
    > recommend a $2500 mic preamp investment, but he can get a channel or
    > two of clean for not too much more than the cost of his mixer.
    >

    > --
    ----------------------------------
    thanks.
    the room sounds good, i've put some foam on the walls, thick curtains,
    wooden floor..
    What mid price pre amp would you recommend?
    thanks-McSim

    > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > In article <K7T_c.558302$Gx4.382724@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
    > pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:
    > >
    > > > Since the main thing you'd use an 8-channel for is recording a drum
    kit,
    > and
    > > > you say:

    > > > I'd suggest the better stereo pre. A Great River isn't something
    you'd
    > ever
    > > > regret.
    > >
    > > Many people find that drums sound better when recorded with a certain
    > > amount of distortion, so the Behringer mic inputs may actually be
    > > cheap and beneficial signal processing, but a processor that you can't
    > > easily turn off.
    > >
    > > Vocals almost always work better when recorded as cleanly as possible,
    > > leaving the "wooliness" as something that you add or not later on.
    > > While he's still in the Behringer mode, I wouldn't necessarily
    > > recommend a $2500 mic preamp investment, but he can get a channel or
    > > two of clean for not too much more than the cost of his mixer.
    > >

    > > --
    > ----------------------------------
    > thanks.
    > the room sounds good, i've put some foam on the walls, thick curtains,
    > wooden floor..
    > What mid price pre amp would you recommend?
    > thanks-McSim

    Personally, I'd recommend a Grace 101... very clean, 99.85% uncolored,
    single-channel (you're just looking for a single-channel to track lead vox,
    right?), about $550 street price new, can sometimes be found on e-slay for
    under $500. A HUGE step up from your Behri-gear, yet still quite
    affordable.
    --

    Neil Henderson
    Saqqara Records