hardware modem

benedict

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
May I ask a silly question: What is the different between the Hardware modem and software modem. the price is nearly double for intel hardware 56k modem compared with other software modem.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
they supposed to be a lot better, an extrenal modem runs alone while an internal winmodem use your system to run.

My 160$ 56K USR does perform better than my 20$ winmodem, played on-line with both (I had to use 56K while new ISP was doing setup) and the high priced one was a lot better than the low cost winmodem.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A hardware modem does all operations on the modem itself, a software modem requires the CPU to do part of the work. But not all so called soft modems are the same, the better ones have hardware decompression and hardware DAC. Others have nothing more than a codec, or interface to the CPU, where the CPU does all the work. The best software modems can be better than some hardware modems, I've had my best luck with Lucent (now Agere) 1646T00 chipset modems, which use so little overhead that they actually work on some old 486's. Compared to that, many codec modems can require as much as a PII 350 to run.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ive got a Lucent Winmodem, whenever I disconnect from the net my computer freezes for about 2 seconds, its really annoying if you listen to MP3s

If all else fails, Go further :)

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, I've heard the winmodems can get slight better speeds than the hardware modems.

But, bear in mind, that WINmodem is only good in windows. If you ever try to leave msft, it will be just a piece of crap sitting inside your computer.

If you are happy with windows right now, then that $15 winmodem might just be the way to go. I have never bought anything but hardware modems, so I truely know not. I do know you'll have better chance of it being natively supported under XP than you will Me (i.e. you don't have to load any drivers).

But, remember hardware modems run ~$30 nowadays. With the "top o' the line" versions going for ~$60.

C@lling it like I c it...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm thinking of posting the best drivers (the ones with the lowest overhead) on my webpage. But anyway, the other versions weren't so hot, just the 1646T00. In fact, I had some 1648's and they were kinda junky.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

kevin_cjh

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
i lost my old modem drive it's chip is "DAVICOM' ,I can't find the drive anywhere,cause the modem is made by a small factory in china(i am in china),
so pls tell me what can i do ?
i want to try another drive of modem with the same "DAVICOM' chip,is it safe?
thanks

benedict

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Thank you all of you.
I did have some problems when installing the "hardware" modem to my new athlon computer. At last, I installed the "3 year-old 56k modem" to the new computer. The old AMD-k62-333 computer install the new "hardware" modem...
I think the so called "ambient intel hardware 56k modem" is really faster then the 3 year old "winmodem".

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by benedict on 09/01/02 10:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Crash, my modem has that exact chip, the only thing is that when i reformatted/rebuilt my emachines comp i lost the preinstalled drivers. I downloaded the 8.22 ones of the agere website but they didnt work and I didnt get a dial tone. Ive now just been and bought a second hand serial external 56k (hardware) so I dont have any problems. I get slightly better connect speeds/much better download speeds and slightly lower pings.

Anyone wanna buy my lucent without drivers? (BTW im in UK and I aint shipping to US)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll help you out. I'll post the best Lucent 1646T00 chipset drivers at my site, <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns.go.com" target="_new">http://www.crashman.dns.go.com</A> later today.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll do a good deed and post my favorite 1646T00 driver on my website <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns2go.com" target="_new">http://www.crashman.dns2go.com</A> later today.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Crash that file on your site... Its a zip file right? Well on my old computer (before i reformatted) i used to right click and then click 'extract'. But now I cant do this. If I double click on the icon it asks me the program to open it with, and I dont have the extract/unzip program. Is there somewhere I can get this program of the net?

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm not sure if they're just lying, but I read some post that was talking about how to get a winmodem to work under linux, without using wine.

So, I guess it's possible. Someone must've hacked some drivers.

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Rick I downloaded WinZip but it only let me zip up files, i didnt let me unzip them ??

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Thats Impossible............

right click on the fiel u want to Unzip........and go to where it says "Win-Zip" and go through that menu and select "Extract file to..."

if no winzip options of the sort show up, than ur not selecting a valid ZIP vile....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Nope, i used to double click and it would ask the file where i wished it to be extracted, but now it just says 'this is not a valid win32 application'. I tried redownloading the same file after i had installed win-zip but it just did the same thing. This is really bad because it means half of the things i download i cant use. Its strange that on my old comp i didnt remember seeing win-zip in program files yet i was still able to extract. now win-zip is in my start menu as an application for zipping your own files.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....