portnatal

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
I just installed a new WD400BB and a new Chaintech 7AJA m/b. The BIOS reports 40GB ok, but Win98 SE (right click on C: drive) says it is just under 2GB.
I am positive I formatted it for FAT32 (Large Block = 'y'?). How can I check it? I used the DLG EZ_Install diskette.
(I put an identical m/b in my wife's PC, and Win98 SE displays the 6.4GB Seagate perfectly.)

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help,
Howie.

dark_escaflowne

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Here Is What I Think Went Wrong, You See, I have A Seagate 80G Hard Drive, When I Try Using FAT32, It Only Showed 10G, But In NTFS, It Shows 80G, So Neither You Upgrade To NTFS5.0 Or Later, Or Use A Disk Utility From Your Hard Drive Manf., If They Don't Have it, Then Use Seagates's Parition Helper, [http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/download/dwse103055.exe]And Create A Boot Folppy From That, And Just Follow The Instruction.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just making sure, does your HD report its <b>capacity</b> as 2G or its <b>used space</b>?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I have a lot of times when I run Norton disk doctor, it reports that the harddrive is reporting the incorrect free space, and can fix it. But there are also a lot of programs that will only report 2GB of free space when you install them, no matter how much you have.

If you feel comfortable with it, you might try using Part from www.ranish.com to see what your partitions are reported as (I like it way better than Fdisk)

If it sees it in bios, it should see it in windows without using the crappy EZ-bios type programs.

portnatal

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
FYI. I found that only 2.008 GB of the 40GB had been formatted (by WD DLG?) originally. I started from scratch again (format/fdisk) and now everything is reported correctly. Thanks for all your ideas.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you partition it in DOS mode or in settup? Settup partitions it at 2GB by default. My suggestion is to boot off the CD (or boot floppy) into DOS mode, type fdisk, erase the partition, create a new partition at full size with partition active (if it's your boot drive), reboot into DOS mode again, change into the Win98 directory if you booted off the CD, then type format. I've seen this problem many times and am very sure this is your problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>