Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I just install a OEM version of Windows 7?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 1, 2012 2:36:30 AM

Okay so I am building a new pc which I plan on sticking with for around 3 or more years. I cannot afford a full retail version of windows but then I saw that I could get a OEM version for $100 which is right at my budget. So should I just get that one?
Related resources
May 1, 2012 3:00:29 AM

Can someone please give me an answer?
m
l
May 1, 2012 3:02:23 AM

Technically, no:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23305-63-windows-vers...

Morally, I say yes.

The two biggest limitations of OEM versions of Windows are no technical support from Microsoft and your copy of Windows is tied to your motherboard. A retail version would allow you to upgrade your motherboard in the future, or it could be deactivated on one machine and installed on another, as many times as you like.
m
l
May 1, 2012 3:07:23 AM

jackacid said:
Technically, no:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23305-63-windows-vers...

Morally, I say yes.

The two biggest limitations of OEM versions of Windows are no technical support from Microsoft and your copy of Windows is tied to your motherboard. A retail version would allow you to upgrade your motherboard in the future, or it could be deactivated on one machine and installed on another, as many times as you like.

Psonally what would you say? If you had no more than $100 to spend on a operating system what would you do?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 3:18:08 AM

From your info you'd be fine with the OEM version :

You plan on using the system for about 3 years +\- without upgrading the MOBO and sounds like you are not intending to build a new system soon that would require moving the OS to it

Windows 8 will be releasing within the year - so next build you do will most likely be for windows 8 instead of windows 7

With that in mind then YES get the OEM version -- As others mentioned the main difference is MS does not provide free support (which you most likely do not need) and the OEM activation is tied to the MOBO that it is originally activated on (which is what you will be doing with it anyway) and it can not be transferred to a new system (which you do not plan to do anyway) -- So the OEM license fits your needs and budget so get it !!
May 1, 2012 3:20:05 AM

Best answer selected by Destroyer432.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 3:24:16 AM

reduce the power supply to a 750 watts get a less expensive cpu do the same for the card by calculating your budget you will be able to get a retail os
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 1, 2012 3:24:59 AM

destroyer432 said:
Best answer selected by Destroyer432.

n
n
nThanks --- Also wanted to add -- Since you are using 8GB of RAM be sure to get the 64 bit version ( Since OEM is only one unlike the retail version which includes both disks !!)
m
l
!