GTA: SA crashes hard

Usually the very first time I go into CJ's house. The game crashes so hard
it reboots my PC. My setup:

3.4GHz P4
1GB RAM
Geforce PCX 5750
Latest drivers

Anyone else having similar issues? I am appalled by the lack of support on
Rockstar's Web site. All you get is an e-mail address and phone number. No
patches, no forums, no FAQ...nada.

TIA!
14 answers Last reply
More about crashes hard

    JustRick wrote:
    > Usually the very first time I go into CJ's house. The game crashes so
    > hard it reboots my PC. My setup:

    It's happened very infrequently to me, but I have had several crashes when
    playing.

    Several times (often when really big explosions occur) the game has
    completely locked up and I needed to hit the reset button.

    A couple of times it just rebooted with no warning at all.

    Once it displayed a more typical "This program has performed an illegal
    operation and needs to be closed" type dialog box.

    It's infrequent enough not to really annoy me, but it shouldn't happen at
    all. It must be even worse if it happens going into CJ's house, as you can't
    even save the game without going there...

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:34:27 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >JustRick wrote:
    >> Usually the very first time I go into CJ's house. The game crashes so
    >> hard it reboots my PC. My setup:
    >
    >It's happened very infrequently to me, but I have had several crashes when
    >playing.
    >
    >Several times (often when really big explosions occur) the game has
    >completely locked up and I needed to hit the reset button.
    >
    >A couple of times it just rebooted with no warning at all.
    >
    >Once it displayed a more typical "This program has performed an illegal
    >operation and needs to be closed" type dialog box.
    >
    >It's infrequent enough not to really annoy me, but it shouldn't happen at
    >all. It must be even worse if it happens going into CJ's house, as you can't
    >even save the game without going there...
    >
    >--
    >
    >(O) e n o n e

    Obvious question, but I have to ask.............

    Playing with the original DVD ? Or a No-DVD crack ?
    Crackers aren't always clever enough to find deliberately
    implanted erratic flakiness espcially aimed at no_CD/DVD
    exercises.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Obvious question, but I have to ask.............
    > Playing with the original DVD ? Or a No-DVD crack ?

    The first crashes I had were with the original DVD in the drive. I have been
    playing with a NoDVD patch since though because I hate having a disc in the
    drive all the time. This certainly didn't make the crashes any better. :)

    Since the above post I've started to suffer from some fairly major
    stuttering. I notice it only actually happens when I have a key pressed down
    (to drive a car, for instance). As soon as I let go of all the keys, the
    stuttering goes away. The stuttering affects the graphics and also the
    soundtrack, it sounds like the radio is in slow motion when it's doing it.

    I've tried substantially lowering my graphics settings and it made no
    difference (well, apart from not looking at good). I'll try removing the
    NoDVD patch and see if that makes a difference...

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    Oenone wrote:
    > I'll try removing the NoDVD patch and see if that makes a difference

    Sadly it made no difference at all. :(

    I briefly tried playing with a joypad instead of the keyboard and then
    everything runs perfectly smoothly, so it really is pressing keys that is
    killing the performance. But I just can't play with the joypad (and I really
    don't want to either). How particularly frustrating..!

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:45:02 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Oenone wrote:
    >> I'll try removing the NoDVD patch and see if that makes a difference
    >
    >Sadly it made no difference at all. :(
    >
    >I briefly tried playing with a joypad instead of the keyboard and then
    >everything runs perfectly smoothly, so it really is pressing keys that is
    >killing the performance. But I just can't play with the joypad (and I really
    >don't want to either). How particularly frustrating..!

    It seems as if something nasty is running in the background and still
    responding to key-presses.

    Run "msconfig"==> Selective Startup and turn off all Startup Items.
    Reboot. When the PC comes up, press CANCEL on the msconfig
    screen and check that nothing is then in your startup bar ( bottom
    right of screen ). Some virus-killers like McAfee are clever enough to
    slide past msconfig; turn them off separately.

    John Lewis

    > Ah, yes..... Maxtor drives..........

    I've never had a Maxtor hard drive fail on me personally (I've owned three
    of them in the last five years - still have them all), but I know people
    first-hand who have had Maxtor drives fail. The most recent example was a
    friend of mine who had a pair of 250GB Maxtors go down in the span of less
    than a month. Like I say, while my own experience with Maxtor has been
    perfect (I'm using on here on my Internet box), I wouldn't go near one now.
    I count myself lucky. My top pick at the moment would be Seagate and the
    number two pick would be Western Digital. Both are good drives, although
    the Seagate seems to run at a cooler temperature (obviously a good thing).

    > I gave up on Maxtor and IBM several years ago and have a nice pile of
    > dead drivers to show for it.

    Well, as it turned out, they didn't call the IBM drives DeathStars for
    nothin'. LOL. I thought Hitachi would at least rename them to something
    else.

    Nothing fun about a hard drive failure. It's only happened to me once, and
    that was an 850MB Quantum drive back in 1999 before CD-R/RW drives were
    affordable. I ended up losing approximately 100MB of irreplaceable data
    (the rest I was able to retrieve). It could have been much worse, however.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Run "msconfig"==> Selective Startup and turn off all Startup Items.

    I already keep a tight reign overwhat gets run at startup on my PC (from the
    Startup program group, the Run registry key for both CURRENT_USER and
    LOCAL_MACHINE and also services that are running) so there's nothing in
    there that I don't want running anyway. However, the problem seems to have
    gone away on its own accord now, and it's all back to normal again.

    Odd.

    Thanks for the tips though, gave me some stuff to think about!

    --

    (O) e n o n e

    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:34:27 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>JustRick wrote:
    >>> Usually the very first time I go into CJ's house. The game crashes so
    >>> hard it reboots my PC. My setup:
    >>
    >>It's happened very infrequently to me, but I have had several crashes when
    >>playing.
    >>
    >>Several times (often when really big explosions occur) the game has
    >>completely locked up and I needed to hit the reset button.
    >>
    >>A couple of times it just rebooted with no warning at all.
    >>
    >>Once it displayed a more typical "This program has performed an illegal
    >>operation and needs to be closed" type dialog box.
    >>
    >>It's infrequent enough not to really annoy me, but it shouldn't happen at
    >>all. It must be even worse if it happens going into CJ's house, as you
    >>can't
    >>even save the game without going there...
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>(O) e n o n e
    >>

    > Obvious question, but I have to ask.............
    >
    > Playing with the original DVD ? Or a No-DVD crack ?
    > Crackers aren't always clever enough to find deliberately
    > implanted erratic flakiness espcially aimed at no_CD/DVD
    > exercises.

    In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I doubt
    there's a problem with the hard drive...

    Thx,
    Rick

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:27:38 -0400, "JustRick"
    <rick@[nospam]broida.com> wrote:

    >In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I doubt
    >there's a problem with the hard drive...

    The age of a system has nothing to do with how long it will be before
    a hard disk can develop a problem, in fact if a disk has problems it
    will tend to show up in the early stages as more of the disk is
    written to.

    "JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    <snip>
    >In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I doubt
    >there's a problem with the hard drive...

    Don't doubt it, hardware failures can happen at any time.
    I had a hard drive fail after _1_ day.

    Got it as a christmas present, installed it, partitioned it, formatted
    it, copied data from older and smaller drive to it.
    Next day it failed with a bad sector 0.

    Back to the store it went and was replaced with an identical drive (same
    size/make/model) that is still working fine 9 years later.

    Xocyll

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    > "JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    > of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    > <snip>
    >>In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I
    >>doubt
    >>there's a problem with the hard drive...
    >
    > Don't doubt it, hardware failures can happen at any time.
    > I had a hard drive fail after _1_ day.
    >
    > Got it as a christmas present, installed it, partitioned it, formatted
    > it, copied data from older and smaller drive to it.
    > Next day it failed with a bad sector 0.
    >
    > Back to the store it went and was replaced with an identical drive (same
    > size/make/model) that is still working fine 9 years later.
    >
    > Xocyll

    All due respect, I very much doubt the hard drive is to blame for the game
    crashing. Certainly I'd notice similar problems in other games,
    applications, etc. Most likely it's a video issue, though I have the latest
    drivers. I've also tried different resolutions, graphics settings, etc. Not
    sure what to do next except return the game.

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:48:28 -0400, "JustRick"
    <rick@[nospam]broida.com> wrote:

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    >> "JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    >> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >> <snip>
    >>>In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I
    >>>doubt
    >>>there's a problem with the hard drive...
    >>
    >> Don't doubt it, hardware failures can happen at any time.
    >> I had a hard drive fail after _1_ day.
    >>
    >> Got it as a christmas present, installed it, partitioned it, formatted
    >> it, copied data from older and smaller drive to it.
    >> Next day it failed with a bad sector 0.
    >>
    >> Back to the store it went and was replaced with an identical drive (same
    >> size/make/model) that is still working fine 9 years later.
    >>
    >> Xocyll
    >
    >All due respect, I very much doubt the hard drive is to blame for the game
    >crashing. Certainly I'd notice similar problems in other games,
    >applications, etc.

    Nope, depends on which sectors are faulty.

    Have you run a disk-check ? Just because a system is new
    is not good enough- manufacturing and test-defects do indeed occur.

    Did you de-frag the partition into which you installed the game (if
    not C:) and system-partition (C:) before installing the game ? Also
    check the install-partition for fragmentation after installation.
    When you run the Defrag Tool in Analyse mode, Windows (XP)
    will always let you know if it thinks that you need to de-frag.

    You WILL get random errors if the game-partition or the partition that
    has virtual memory ( normally C:) is heavily fragfmented.

    Inspect the DVD very carefully for any scratches.

    You could try getting another copy.

    Have you tried a delete and re-install ? You could have
    had a corrupted install. Hopefully, you do not have
    a "no-name" DVD rom drive......

    Are you overclocking anything - by any chance ??
    If so, reset everything to default and try the game again.

    With a system only 2 weeks old, anything could be wrong.
    Run any memory tests or other benchmarks... ?

    John Lewis

    --

    John Lewis

    "Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:48:28 -0400, "JustRick"
    <rick@[nospam]broida.com> wrote:

    >All due respect, I very much doubt the hard drive is to blame for the game
    >crashing. Certainly I'd notice similar problems in other games,
    >applications, etc.

    Not if GTA:SA is the only application that is written to the duff part
    of the disk. There are a myriad of things that can cause your problem
    but you cannot discount the hard disk.

    "JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    >> "JustRick" <rick@[nospam]broida.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    >> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >> <snip>
    >>>In my case, original DVD. The system is only about two weeks old, so I
    >>>doubt
    >>>there's a problem with the hard drive...
    >>
    >> Don't doubt it, hardware failures can happen at any time.
    >> I had a hard drive fail after _1_ day.
    >>
    >> Got it as a christmas present, installed it, partitioned it, formatted
    >> it, copied data from older and smaller drive to it.
    >> Next day it failed with a bad sector 0.
    >>
    >> Back to the store it went and was replaced with an identical drive (same
    >> size/make/model) that is still working fine 9 years later.
    >>
    >> Xocyll
    >
    >All due respect, I very much doubt the hard drive is to blame for the game
    >crashing. Certainly I'd notice similar problems in other games,
    >applications, etc.

    It's just one of the possible problems and new doesn't mean flawless.

    If the media starts going bad (and it can be a very isolated thing) the
    only thing affected is what's actually written on that one tiny piece of
    media. It could cause the data to become corrupted or hard to read.

    If your swapfile got written over bad media, then you would likely have
    errors popping up in multiple programs as various data got corrupted.

    This was VERY noticeable with game floppy disks as they started to go
    bad, I had a game that could not install from the floppies at all
    because the installer couldn't read a sector on the disk and had no
    routine to try again. Repeated attempts to copy the data to the
    harddrive eventually managed to copy the data intact and the game was
    installed from the HD successfully and then a new set of disks was made.

    Xocyll

PC gaming Games Video Games