Sign in with
Your question

Desktop cannot connect to internet through Ethernet

Last response: in Networking
September 19, 2012 2:50:13 AM

Hello,
I need help getting my homemade computer onto the internet through Ethernet. I have a cable attached to my computer and it is lighting up as if it were working but I am not connected to a network. I know it is not a problem with my Ethernet cable because I have tried it on other computers successfully. When I entered ipconfig/all in the command prompt it showed up with media state as disconnected and no IP address. Can anyone help me?
September 19, 2012 2:57:45 PM

Could be the network port, and did you check if the network card is listed in device manager with no errors? Try a new network card, they are cheap enough to get.
m
l
September 19, 2012 11:52:46 PM

The network card is integrated into the motherboard but I would be willing to buy a new network card if I am completely sure that is the problem. However, I did check the device manager and the ethernet controller device is not working and the drivers for it seem to be missing. I tried downloading new drivers and they are not compatible.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 12:23:53 AM

Ok I managed to figure out the problem. The driver software was not installed and I was incorrectly trying to install it. My Ethernet cable is working now.
m
l
November 4, 2012 6:23:52 AM

How did you found drivers for your ethernet?
m
l
!