WinXP Pro Stop Error 0x0000008E

G

Here's a challenge for you. First, the BSOD...

STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF86F7A4, 0xF3A1BC64, 0x00000000)
*** win32k.sys - Address BF86F7A4 base at BF800000 DateStamp 3b7de698

Note: Addresses may be slightly different between BSOD's, but it is ALWAYS 0x0000008E and referencing win32k.sys

Now, for the current system specs...

Asus A7V266-E mobo w/onboard sound.
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
256meg Crucial 2.5 unbuffered DDR stick
Western Digital 80gig 7200rpm
Visiontek GeForce3 TI200
D-Link 10/100 NIC
Antec case with 300watt p/s
PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard
That's it, no CD, no USB devices, nothing.

I get these BSOD's constantly. They are totally random. Before anyone picks out one of the pieces of hardware listed above as the culprit, please note that I have done the following with no success.

Changed to current video from ATI All-in-Wonder 128 - BSOD's with both.

Changed to current CPU from AMD Athlon 1400 T-bird - BSOD's with both.

Changed to current hard drive from Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm - BSOD's with both.

Changed to current network card from Linksys 10/100 NIC - BSOD's with both.

Changed to current motherboard from Epox 8K7A+ with onboard sound - BSOD's with both.

Also note that there were absolutely clean installs of WinXP Pro done after each of these changes. All devices have been tried with the drivers that shipped with them and the latest certified drivers (and in some cases, the
latest uncertified drivers after trying the certified ones). Both motherboards had latest BIOS.

So, as far as I can tell, it looks like either the RAM or the power supply since they are the only original components that remain. The reason I don't immediately blame the RAM is that 1) It's Crucial 2) I used to have 512meg but one stick WAS bad and is being replaced and I find it difficult to believe that BOTH are bad but in different ways. One bad stick? Sure...uncommon, but it happens. But both? Not impossible, but very VERY rare. DocMem (a DOS mem checker) found no problems with the second stick.

What I need to know is: Does anybody know what this specific stop error means? MS's knowledge base has only one reference to it and, while it does talk about memory, it doesn't seem to apply to my situation. Also, what is
the significance of the stop error always referencing win32k.sys?

I'll be getting some replacement RAM from Crucial in a few days, but I am still doubtful (can you blame me after all I've been through?) Is it possible for a quircky power supply to cause BSOD's? If so, how?

I think that's about it. If any of you can help me out with this, I would be eternally grateful (or at minimum, grateful for many weeks). If you need any further information, just let me know. Thanks in advance, folks

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This sounds like one of three things, IMO.

Either the memory module has a bad cell, or the PSU is underpowered (which is less likely) and/or is becoming problematic because of something like a bad capacitor, or a voltage jumper on the mainboard is set incorrectly.

Post back after you install your new memory and let us know if this eliminates the BSODs.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>