Catalyst 5.6 drivers, Blng Pt, & SP2

A couple of questions about Boiling Point, Catalyst 5.6, and Wndws SPs:

1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?

2. The ATI site recommends having Service Pack 2 for these drivers,
but I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (I had to reinstall
Windows from scratch and rebuild everything so I don't want to try that
again). Is this going to be a problem if I upgrade Catalyst 4.8 drivers
to 5.6 without SP2? ..Thanks

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:14:18 -0400, Niboo Nine <sniktt@bamff.com>
wrote:

>A couple of questions about Boiling Point, Catalyst 5.6, and Wndws SPs:
>
>1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
>improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?

Have you tried them yourself with BP ? 5.6 is indeed supposed to fix
graphics compatibility issues.

Check with news or threads on "www.boiling-point.net"

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:14:18 -0400, Niboo Nine <sniktt@bamff.com>
> wrote:
>

>>A couple of questions about Boiling Point, Catalyst 5.6, and Wndws SPs:
>>
>>1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
>>improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?
>>

> Have you tried them yourself with BP ? 5.6 is indeed supposed to fix
> graphics compatibility issues.
>
> Check with news or threads on "www.boiling-point.net"
>
> John Lewis

No, I haven't - that's why I was asking the question. I wanted to see
what others have to say before I decide whether or not to install them
given I only have SP1 (see question #2)

>>2. The ATI site recommends having Service Pack 2 for these drivers,
>>but I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
>>out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (I had to reinstall
>>Windows from scratch and rebuild everything so I don't want to try that
>>again). Is this going to be a problem if I upgrade Catalyst 4.8 drivers
>>to 5.6 without SP2? ..Thanks

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:14:18 -0400, Niboo Nine <sniktt@bamff.com> wrote:

>A couple of questions about Boiling Point, Catalyst 5.6, and Wndws SPs:
>
>1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
>improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?

Not really. I never experienced the Catalyst specific problems mentions on the
official site.

>2. The ATI site recommends having Service Pack 2 for these drivers,
>but I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
>out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (I had to reinstall
>Windows from scratch and rebuild everything so I don't want to try that
>again). Is this going to be a problem if I upgrade Catalyst 4.8 drivers
>to 5.6 without SP2? ..Thanks

I don't know to be honest. Do you have copy of Drive Image or Ghost? Make an
image and try it and if it doesn't work out you can go straight back again.

> 1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
> improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?

Well, the 5.6 are supposed to fix some graphic glitches that happen after
playing for some time. Never had that issue myself under 5.5. Stability -
difficult to say. I had some CTD with 5.5, with the 5.6 I only had one crash
so far, but that was also after applying the Euro Patches 1 and 1.1. So I
can't say for sure.

> 2. The ATI site recommends having Service Pack 2 for these drivers,
> but I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
> out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (I had to reinstall
> Windows from scratch and rebuild everything so I don't want to try that
> again). Is this going to be a problem if I upgrade Catalyst 4.8 drivers
> to 5.6 without SP2? ..Thanks

AFAIK there should be no problem. It is only a recommendation. That possibly
means these drivers were not or not properly tested with XP SP1. Unless ATI
states that you MUST use SP2 you should be fine without it.

HTH
Chris

shawk

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:14:18 -0400, Niboo Nine <sniktt@bamff.com> wrote:
>
>>A couple of questions about Boiling Point, Catalyst 5.6, and Wndws SPs:
>>
>>1. Has anyone who installed the new Catlayst drivers found that it has
>>improved stability or fixed any other problems with Boiling Point?
>
> Not really. I never experienced the Catalyst specific problems mentions on
> the
> official site.
>
>>2. The ATI site recommends having Service Pack 2 for these drivers,
>>but I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
>>out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (I had to reinstall
>>Windows from scratch and rebuild everything so I don't want to try that
>>again). Is this going to be a problem if I upgrade Catalyst 4.8 drivers
>>to 5.6 without SP2? ..Thanks
>
> I don't know to be honest. Do you have copy of Drive Image or Ghost? Make
> an
> image and try it and if it doesn't work out you can go straight back
> again.

I guess the SP2 requirement is because of the .NET Framework requirement for
the Catalyst Control Centre. If you're not going to d-load and use that
(and I'd advise you dont) then you shouldn't need SP2 (or you can d-load the
NET framework 1.1 separately from..)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

or http://tinyurl.com/6nkqy if it wraps

Having said that SP2 has installed flawlessly on 4 PC's for me so far with
various mobo chipsets (VIA, NVidia etc) and various configurations. Do you
know why SP2 didn't install on yours? Perhaps you have a few issues to
resolve there? Lot's of folk here and in the XP groups will try to help if
you give some details. You'll probably have to bite the bullet sooner or
later..

@@"..has new Catlayst drivers...improved stability or fixed any other
problems with Boiling Point?.."
I have just gone to Cat 5.6 from 5.2...played BP under both ...before and
after the BP patch...
Did not notice any problems re; graphics.....BP's makers seemed to have
dropped the reference
to ATI driver issues in there patch readme's.
@@@

@@" I only have Service Pack 1. I tried installing SP2 when it came
out but it caused all kinds of havoc on my system (.. had to reinstall....
everything so I don't want to try that again). Is this going to be a
problem if I upgrade Catalyst ... drivers..."

Dont think so..

I have only very recently installed XP myself ...at 1st I did XP+ Sp1
....then put SP2 over that...
Had lots of various problems....Tried again this time just XP + SP2 ONLY !!
(no SP 1 at all....if u have SP2 you dont at first need sp1).,..everythings
been fine now (as it ever will be ! ;).

Perhaps you could uninstall SP1 then do SP2 on its own ???
Luv mouse
@@@@@@