Sign in with
Your question

Can my d-link dir-615 router be used as a booster

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 16, 2012 4:08:09 PM

Hi I want to boost our wifi single in our church and am thinking of connecting my spare D-Link DIR-615 router to do this. Can I just run a long eather net cabel between the two to do this and will this then sill be able to connect to any wifi laptop??
Thanks Dave
August 16, 2012 4:57:47 PM

Running an ethernet cable between the routers is definitely preferred, although it might be good to know the DIR-615 supports dd-wrt (third party firmware) and could be used to reconfigure the router as a wireless repeater (should it prove necessary).
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 6:12:31 PM

eibgrad said:
Running an ethernet cable between the routers is definitely preferred, although it might be good to know the DIR-615 supports dd-wrt (third party firmware) and could be used to reconfigure the router as a wireless repeater (should it prove necessary).

Hi thanks but because we already have a different wifi router that we use do I just have to run a ethernet cable frome our main router to the D-Link?? Or do I need to do something with the D-Link first to make it work?

Dave
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:20:04 PM

Kingdavehasarrived said:
Hi thanks but because we already have a different wifi router that we use do I just have to run a ethernet cable frome our main router to the D-Link?? Or do I need to do something with the D-Link first to make it work?

Dave

If you're going to connect them via wire, then follow the directions provided by Emerald. You're just adding a second wireless access point to your existing network. As it shows in those directions, you’ll be giving the DIR-615 an IP address in the same network as the existing router, disabling its DHCP server, and connecting it LAN to LAN.

[existing wireless router - 192.168.1.1](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[dir-615 - 192.168.1.2]

I used the 192.168.1.x network as an example, but you'll obviously use whatever network the existing wireless router is using.
m
l
!