Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is one
8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search. Does
anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?

*8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely to
be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive change,
though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
experienced service technician.*

Thanks, Ken

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

Ken,

The 8045G is a special tube that has a high negative bias set point. It was
basically derived from 1970's sweep tube technology.

Carroll

"Ken Platt" <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is
one
> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search.
Does
> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>
> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely
> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
change,
> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
> experienced service technician.*
>
> Thanks, Ken

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

That's great even though I am not sure what that means :)
Without sounding too stooopid what I really need to know is whether or not
these tubes are avail and if so where and how much or if I'd be better off
having the mod for other tubes (KT88 or EL34) done. If the latter is true
which of the two mods sounds better? Where could I get such a mod done in
southern Ontario Canada (Hamilton)? Or where could I get the instructions
for the mod. I do have the schematic.
Thanks for your help
ken

"Carroll Conklin" <aconklin@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Ken,
>
> The 8045G is a special tube that has a high negative bias set point. It
> was
> basically derived from 1970's sweep tube technology.
>
> Carroll
>
> "Ken Platt" <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is
> one
>> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search.
> Does
>> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
>> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>>
>> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
>> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely
>> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
>> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
>> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
> change,
>> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
>> experienced service technician.*
>>
>> Thanks, Ken

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

If you have a real yen for them, a pair of 8045Gs is available at:

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/tube/ for about $131 each.

- Jon

in article vZ3%c.32061$%m4.2622874@read2.cgocable.net, Ken Platt at
kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca wrote on 9/6/04 4:43 PM:

> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is one
> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search. Does
> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>
> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely to
> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive change,
> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
> experienced service technician.*
>
> Thanks, Ken

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

Yeah I saw that one but imagine $471 Canadian. It doesn't figure that will
go down over time, so I would be really interested in the modification.
thx
ken

"Jon Yaeger" <jono_1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> If you have a real yen for them, a pair of 8045Gs is available at:
>
> http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/tube/ for about $131 each.
>

> - Jon
>

> in article vZ3%c.32061$%m4.2622874@read2.cgocable.net, Ken Platt at
> kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca wrote on 9/6/04 4:43 PM:
>
>> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is
>> one
>> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search.
>> Does
>> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
>> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>>
>> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
>> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely
>> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
>> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
>> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
>> change,
>> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
>> experienced service technician.*
>>
>> Thanks, Ken

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:43:03 -0400, "Ken Platt"
<kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is one
>8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search. Does
>anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
>described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?

First do an exhaustive Google search on the topic, concentrating on
rec.audio.tubes .

Second, my always shaky memory is that the 8045 was a rebasing of
an ordinary sweep tube, with the G2 (screen) driven, a classic
Tim Paravicini device.

If you could email me the schematic I could comment further.
Conversion from high perveance sweep tubes to medium perveance
conventional audio tubes may not be ideal.

OTOH, conversion to tubes currently made in St. Petersburg has
its own positive side. Remaining sweep tubes are .... remaining.

Chris Hornbeck

In article <j89qj0hvbbu63qt0bdg68geu7esof2s9d8@4ax.com>,
chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net says...
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:43:03 -0400, "Ken Platt"
> <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
> >Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is one
> >8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search. Does
> >anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> >described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>
> First do an exhaustive Google search on the topic, concentrating on
> rec.audio.tubes .
>
> Second, my always shaky memory is that the 8045 was a rebasing of
> an ordinary sweep tube, with the G2 (screen) driven, a classic
> Tim Paravicini device.
>
> If you could email me the schematic I could comment further.
> Conversion from high perveance sweep tubes to medium perveance
> conventional audio tubes may not be ideal.
>
> OTOH, conversion to tubes currently made in St. Petersburg has
> its own positive side. Remaining sweep tubes are .... remaining.
>
> Chris Hornbeck

Google search led to here:

http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm

About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below

6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7

Google For 6cg7
http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6cg7.html

http://www.tubedepot.com/6cg76fq7.html

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=EY66

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/6cg7lownoise.html

"I Care" <icare@whocares.com> wrote in message

> > Chris Hornbeck
> >
> Google search led to here:
>
> http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
>
> About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
>
> 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7

Huh? Excuse me, but that doesn't compute. The 8045G was a power output tube,
as has been described in other replies. The 6CG7/6FQ7 was a small-signal
dual triode, electrically more or less equivalent to the 6SN7. Nowhere near
the same sector of the galaxy.

Looking at the link from 8045G, I find a data sheeet that looks about right,
although since it's in Japanese I can't really tell. Looking at the listing
for 6240G, their statement makes no sense whatsoever.

Peace,
Paul

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:41:44 GMT, I Care <icare@whocares.com> wrote:

>Google search led to here:
>
>http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
>
>About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
>
>6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7

Ned is unlikely to have left such a blunder on his page. I'll
check it out, but in the meantime, keep looking, cause this is
bogus.

BTW, search in newsgroups, or whatever they call it in Google.

Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:13:43 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

>>http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
>>
>>About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
>>
>>6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7
>
>Ned is unlikely to have left such a blunder on his page. I'll
>check it out, but in the meantime, keep looking, cause this is
>bogus.

OK, the page has three different tubes shown, including the
8045, which does *not* look like a G2 driven beam tube. Ignore
my previous comments about rebasing sweep tubes and keep looking.
May still have been the rebasing of conventional audio tubes.

For a push-pull plate load of 3600 ohms and idling dissipation of
40 watts, you'll probably want to go with the big bottles of the
KT88/6550 family. Pin-out even looks like a plug in fit. But you'll
need to check for any extra connections on the socket base pins.
For the EL34 family you'll want to connect pin 1 to pin 8.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
I had seen that same interchangable statement and had assumed it was false
as well.
Any suggestion of what news group to pose the question regarding the
conversion?
thx
ken

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:13:43 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
> <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>
>>>http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
>>>
>>>About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
>>>
>>>6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7
>>
>>Ned is unlikely to have left such a blunder on his page. I'll
>>check it out, but in the meantime, keep looking, cause this is
>>bogus.
>
> OK, the page has three different tubes shown, including the
> 8045, which does *not* look like a G2 driven beam tube. Ignore
> my previous comments about rebasing sweep tubes and keep looking.
> May still have been the rebasing of conventional audio tubes.
>
> For a push-pull plate load of 3600 ohms and idling dissipation of
> 40 watts, you'll probably want to go with the big bottles of the
> KT88/6550 family. Pin-out even looks like a plug in fit. But you'll
> need to check for any extra connections on the socket base pins.
> For the EL34 family you'll want to connect pin 1 to pin 8.
>
> Good fortune,
>
> Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 01:12:57 -0400, "Ken Platt"
<kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>Any suggestion of what news group to pose the question regarding the
>conversion?

Email me a schematic and I can comment. Looks extremely straight-
forward based on Ned's posted curves. If you have adjustable bias
only the socket wiring need be checked. Piece-a-cake.

Are you comfortable with soldering and the odd voltage measurement
in the midst of high (deadly!) voltages? If so, you can do this
yourself. If not, it's not a big deal for someone that does it often.

Chris Hornbeck

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

"Ken Platt" <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is
one
> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search.
Does
> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>
> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a 1970s-model
> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive. Unlikely
> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by Golden
> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to accept a
> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
change,
> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with an
> experienced service technician.*
>
> Thanks, Ken

From :
http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBulletins/appnoteNO.11.html

[...]
The 3CX300A1 is well-suited to retrofit into older amplifiers to replace
large power triodes that are no longer available, such as the 8045G (used
in the Luxman MB3045), or other types dissipating up to 300 watts.
[...]

You might consider this tube as a substitute, though mechanical and
electronic skills are required.
Give it a google for lots of info.

Rgds,
Jan.

"I Care" = no you dont !!

> Google search led to here:
>
> http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
>
> About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
>
> 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7

** Which is a ridiculous MISPRINT !!

........... Phil

In article <2q4q5eFrbrrrU1@uni-berlin.de>, philallison@tpg.com.au
says...

> "I Care" = no you dont !!
>
> > Google search led to here:
> >
> > http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
> >
> > About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
> >
> > 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7
> >

> ** Which is a ridiculous MISPRINT !!
>

> .......... Phil

You are right!! I don't care for your uncalled for inflammatory
comments, but I do care enough to try to help, even if it ends up the
information provided to me was incorrect.

Prove you care and help him find the tube he needs.

In article <2q4q5eFrbrrrU1@uni-berlin.de> philallison@tpg.com.au writes:

> > About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
> > 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7

> ** Which is a ridiculous MISPRINT !!

Hey! How come these guys get a "Misprint" and I'm always an "Idiot"?
If it's a misprint, you probably have some idea of what tube should
have been listed as the alternate. Care to elucidate?

"I Care"
Phil Allison

> > "I Care" = no you dont !!
> >
> > > Google search led to here:
> > >
> > > http://www.triodeel.com/tubedata.htm
> > >
> > > About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
> > >
> > > 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7
> > >

> > ** Which is a ridiculous MISPRINT !!
> >

> You are right!! I don't care for your uncalled for inflammatory
> comments, but I do care enough to try to help, even if it ends up the
> information provided to me was incorrect.

** You did not *care* enough to simply check the other numbers data on that
**SAME** page.

Common sense should have warned you that a specially made tube would not a
have a common equivalent.

> Prove you care and help him find the tube he needs.

** Prove you are not an ass and do that yourself.

Wild Goose chases are your forte.

............. Phil

"Ken Platt"
> Thanks for everyone's help so far.
> I had seen that same interchangable statement and had assumed it was false
> as well.
> Any suggestion of what news group to pose the question regarding the
> conversion?

** Ummmmm - how about RAT ???

............ Phil

"Ken Platt" <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately
there is one
> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my
search. Does
> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>
> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a
1970s-model
> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive.
Unlikely to
> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by
Golden
> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to
accept a
> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
change,
> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with
an
> experienced service technician.*

Since it was a present, my suggestion would be to salvage the 3
remaining 8045G tubes and sell them on ebay. Buy a different
amplifier that uses readily available tubes--if tubes it must be.

Norm Strong

Not a bad suggestion Norm.
But the guy who gave it 2 us thought it 'needed to be used.'
Still looking for info on the mod for diff tubes
thx
kp

"normanstrong" <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Ken Platt" <kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately
> there is one
>> 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my
> search. Does
>> anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
>> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?
>>
>> *8045G--power triode, made in Japan by NEC especially for a
> 1970s-model
>> Luxman amplifier. Long out of production, scarce and expensive.
> Unlikely to
>> be manufactured again. There may have been a version marketed by
> Golden
>> Dragon recently. We recommend having the amplifier modified to
> accept a
>> triode-connected EL34 or KT88. This may be a difficult and expensive
> change,
>> though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs. Please consult with
> an
>> experienced service technician.*
>
> Since it was a present, my suggestion would be to salvage the 3
> remaining 8045G tubes and sell them on ebay. Buy a different
> amplifier that uses readily available tubes--if tubes it must be.
>
> Norm Strong

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:20:34 -0400, "Ken Platt"
<kplatt1NEVERSPAM@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>Not a bad suggestion Norm.
>But the guy who gave it 2 us thought it 'needed to be used.'
>Still looking for info on the mod for diff tubes

Hi Ken,

Received your schematic, and it looks extremely straightforward.
There's plenty of bias voltage available, small cathode resistors
to check and adjust bias, and reasonable voltages and load
impedance for KT88/6550 family tubes.

When you examine the output tube sockets, confirm that no pins
are used as convenient tie points for something else. If so,
move them.

Then connect about 100 ohm, a couple watt resistors from pins
3 to 4.

With no output tubes installed, fire it up (preferably with a
Variac, but *SAFETY FIRST* in any case - allow no children or
pets in the room).

Observe voltages at points marked "C1" and C2". Adjust the 30K
ohm bias pots for maximum voltage.

Power off. Observe all supply voltages and wait until they've
fallen to a low level, maybe a coupla volts.

Install your new matched quad of Svetlana or maybe JJ power tubes.
Fire it up again and observe. Everything OK?

Bias is measured at the cathode pins (pin 8). I'd run modern
tubes at between 50 and 70 mA (500 mV and 700mV on pin 8).
The 10K ohm pots are to balance the current in each pair.

Try various bias currents and use the least that doesn't affect
sound quality. And no more than 80mA.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck

"Mike Rivers"
Phil Allison

> > > About 2/3 down the page makes the statement below
> > > 6240G See 8045G, also see interchangeable type 6CG7/6FQ7
>
> > ** Which is a ridiculous MISPRINT !!
>
> Hey! How come these guys get a "Misprint" and I'm always an "Idiot"?

** Proof of the difference waits below.

> If it's a misprint, you probably have some idea of what tube should
> have been listed as the alternate.

** See - idiots make asinine assumptions like the one Mike Rivers just
did.

> Care to elucidate?

** And become besotted with them.

Then want others to worship them too.

............ Phil

thanks to chris
kp

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:43:03 +0000, Ken Platt wrote:

> Someone recently gave me a Lux MQ3600 power amp. Unfortunately there is
> one 8045G power tube missing. Finding one seems impossible by my search.
> Does anyone have a source for them? Beyond that, has anyone done the mod
> described below and want to comment on the expense and/or result?

AFAIK, an 8045G IS a 6550 wired as a triode (by jumpers in the base).
See: http://www.triodeel.com/images/8045.gif

Most of the "8045G" labelled tubes I've seen were US made 6550's
with jumpers added in the base.

> This may be a difficult and expensive
> change, though less expensive than finding new 8045Gs.

Wiring the socket for a 6550 or KT88 is not difficult,
nor should it be expensive.

--
Ned Carlson Triode Electronics Chicago,IL USA
www.triodeelectronics.com

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tubes (More info?)

On 12 Sep 2004 03:53:16 -0500, "Ned Carlson" <postmaster@triodeel.com>
wrote:

>AFAIK, an 8045G IS a 6550 wired as a triode (by jumpers in the base).
>
>See: http://www.triodeel.com/images/8045.gif
>
>Most of the "8045G" labelled tubes I've seen were US made 6550's
>with jumpers added in the base.

If a very large number of so-called 8045G's were "modified" tetrodes, the
real McCoy was a native triode, developped at the request of Tim de
Paravicini, then star designer at Lux, by NEC.