Sign in with
Your question

Confused to as what is needed

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 16, 2012 7:10:25 PM

We are using a internet provider modem ( Sagemcom F@ST 1704) that is located on the ground floor of a old farm house. The signal strength can range for good to poor downstairs when using a laptop. Upstairs my son's PC signal the signal is usually poor or goes out all together. W have looked at home plugs, extenders and such but are confused as to what might work in our situation. Another way to go would to buy a different modem, but we would rather not spend a lot of money. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

More about : confused needed

August 17, 2012 3:45:50 PM

You have a few different options. Really comes down to what is more convenient and cost effective for you.

1. Move and re-position the modem/router if able. Most wireless access points use omnidirectional antennas. So the signal gets pushed out in all directions. A more center point in your home would be ideal. Even re-positioning the access point may yield favorable results if its being blocked by large objects.

2. Keep the modem, but purchase a router with a wireless N rating. This would benefit you if the wireless devices up stairs use wireless N adapters. You would basically hook the modem into the router's WAN port and then all devices would first connect to the router to gain internet access from the modem.

m
l
August 17, 2012 5:32:28 PM

With Option 2 does that require running extra wires? Forgive the simpleness of the question I'm wht my son calls "a work in porgress" when it comes to computers
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 11:09:13 PM

Just one. Ethernet from the modem to the wireless router. Now before diving into that option make sure its something that's beneficial. See what the current modem/router your isp gave you is rated at. Either G or N most likely. Then check to see what your sons laptop is rated at. Again its probably going to be either G or N. These ratings are wireless ratings. N being the faster/newer rating.
m
l
August 18, 2012 10:40:44 PM

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know what happens.
m
l
!