Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB modem+linkysys router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 16, 2012 8:37:02 PM

Hi, i have a linksys WTR54G wireless g router. I have a 3G modem which is use to browse on my laptop, it doesnt have an ethernet port. Is there anyway at all, that i can use the modem with the router to share its internet?

Best solution

August 17, 2012 2:15:16 AM

The easiest way would be to install an inexpensive USB ethernet adapter on the laptop (they can be had for as little as $2-3 on eBay) and connect it to the WAN port of the router. Then enable ICS on the 3G modem and share it w/ the ethernet connection.

Alternately, it’s possible to eliminate the router completely and use Connectify to reconfigure your laptop’s wireless adapter as a wifi hotspot and share the 3G modem.

http://connectify.me

So it really comes down to whether you have a specific need to use the WRT54G (maybe you want all the features it has to offer; firewall management, port forwarding, static IPs, DMZ, etc.), or whether you’re just trying to use it for its AP. In the latter case, the use of Connectify will suffice as a replacement for the wireless router.
August 17, 2012 12:41:46 PM

i want to connect my ps3 to the internet
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2012 1:37:17 PM

Doesn't matter what device you want to connect to the internet. One or the other solution is going to provide it either over wire or wireless.
m
l
August 17, 2012 6:39:18 PM

thank you
m
l
August 17, 2012 6:40:11 PM

Best answer selected by Laban_18.
m
l
!