Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wake on Lan

Last response: in Networking
September 19, 2012 4:49:40 PM

I have been searching the internet for a long time trying to find out how to use Wake-on-Lan and nothing seems to have worked so far (details below...)

I have a home built PC, running Windows 7 HE, the motherboard is the Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard and I am using the onboard ethernet port (Realtek PCIe GBE Family). If any more details are required, please ask!

I have enabled the Bios option to allow PCI/PCIe devices to wake up the PC and have made sure that in the settings of the network card the tick box next to "Allow this device to wake the computer" and "Only allow the Magic Packet to wake the computer" are ticked. In the advanced tab it has "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Pattern match" set to enabled and also the "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan" is enabled.

The problem seems to be that as soon as the computer is put into sleep or shutdown, the NIC doesn't receive power anymore, both lights on the port go out and when I manually start it from sleep, it has no connection to the internet (It reconnects within seconds, this is not a problem) but is there any way to stop this happening if it will stop my problem?

Would I need to buy a separate Lan Card for it to work?

I am using the Depicus WOL app in the hope of eventually being able to start it when not on my home network, if anyone has any experience using WOL like this, input would be appreciated!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if any further info is needed, please ask below! (and sorry for the long question..)

More about : wake lan

Best solution

September 19, 2012 5:40:46 PM

Open the properties for your NIC via Device Manager and check the Power Management tab. I'd wager that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked.
September 19, 2012 5:50:36 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Open the properties for your NIC via Device Manager and check the Power Management tab. I'd wager that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked.

I've tried that, It disables the "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox and it doesn't make a difference, it doesn't turn on/wake up..
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2012 6:10:20 PM

If it disables that facility, the tick in Power Management needs to be removed. It can't wake the system on a call from another computer if it's turned off to save the planet!

ex-bubblehead (Fishhead in the UK) :D  was suggesting you turn off that facility to save energy so tat the adapter is on duty full-time.

m
l
September 19, 2012 8:43:18 PM

Best answer selected by LlamaGoingNorth.
m
l
September 19, 2012 8:44:36 PM

Thanks guys, I had tried that before but using LogMeIn which didn't seem to support it..
All working now, thanks for the help!
m
l
September 22, 2012 11:49:26 AM

ex_bubblehead said:

Ok, this worked a couple of times but now it doesn't seem to anymore...
I turned it on and the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" had been checked but not by any user so it must have reset..
Even after unchecking the box, the WOL doesn't work. I have not modified any settings, I hadn't used it for a day and it stopped working.

Sorry for starting this up again, I don't want to make a new thread just for this...
m
l
February 17, 2013 10:45:12 PM

LlamaGoingNorth said:
Ok, this worked a couple of times but now it doesn't seem to anymore...
I turned it on and the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" had been checked but not by any user so it must have reset..
Even after unchecking the box, the WOL doesn't work. I have not modified any settings, I hadn't used it for a day and it stopped working.

Sorry for starting this up again, I don't want to make a new thread just for this...

Had the same problem. Downgrading the Realtek NIC driver to 7.61.612.2012 seem to have fixed the problem.
m
l
May 6, 2013 2:25:02 PM

Hello dear forum,

in my eyes, we all got a final fix of our Wake on Lan Problem on the P8Z77-V LX...

[Solution]
1) Install BIOS Update 1801 from 20th March 2013, Description is "Enhance compatibility with some PCIE devices."
2) Press DEL to get into BIOS - Allow PCIe to wake up the system
3) Boot Into Windows
4) Install the Network Driver 8.7.1025.2012, released on 28th January 2013 on the ASUS-Site (I am using Windows 8 x64 Prof)
5) Configure the Energy Saving Settings to allow the NIC to Wake up the System

All drivers Downloaded directly from the ASUS-Website: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Download

Greetings from Austria
m
l
September 27, 2013 10:02:39 AM

Felix Hartung said:
Hello dear forum,

in my eyes, we all got a final fix of our Wake on Lan Problem on the P8Z77-V LX...

[Solution]
1) Install BIOS Update 1801 from 20th March 2013, Description is "Enhance compatibility with some PCIE devices."
2) Press DEL to get into BIOS - Allow PCIe to wake up the system
3) Boot Into Windows
4) Install the Network Driver 8.7.1025.2012, released on 28th January 2013 on the ASUS-Site (I am using Windows 8 x64 Prof)
5) Configure the Energy Saving Settings to allow the NIC to Wake up the System

All drivers Downloaded directly from the ASUS-Website: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Download

Greetings from Austria

Even better - and for ANY PC or MAC change router settings following this guide: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
m
l
!