Help: MPT can't see V600 thru BT

Last response: in Brands
July 7, 2004 2:17:13 AM

Hi folks,

I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)

I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.

The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.

The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!

Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
does what it says on the tin!

Thanks in advance.

Slim
(Please remove "X-frizznit-X" from email address before direct replies)

Best regards,

Simon.

More about : mpt v600

Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:17:14 AM

"Simon Lambert" <s-d-l@X-frizznit-Xlineone.net> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
>
> I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
> with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.

Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT.

> The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
> permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
> Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.

> The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
> to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
> something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!

> Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
> function?

You simply change the modem setting in MPT to ...bluetooth modem press F6
once MPT is running.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:29:46 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:51:54 GMT, "Avanti"
<martin.collins@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
>> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
>
>Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT

I can get abuse at home. I don't need it here, thank you.

Since posting, auto-update has taken me to 2.20

>You simply change the modem setting in MPT to ...bluetooth modem press F6
>once MPT is running.

I have done this. I get a message saying that the BT modem is
"unavailable or being used by another application". Unfortunately, I
can't think for the life of me which other app would be using it. Been
into Windows Processes and killed anything that looks like a likely
candidate. Shooting in the dark, I feel ;)

Anyone else experienced this?

Slim

P.S. Yes, I have RTFM'ed.
(Please remove "X-frizznit-X" from email address before direct replies)

Best regards,

Simon.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 10:24:36 PM

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:51:54 GMT, "Avanti"
> <martin.collins@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> >I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor The
evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
> >> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
> >
> >Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT
>
> I can get abuse at home. I don't need it here, thank you.

You can take it as abuse, but when something isn't working question yourself
as the operator 1st not the equipment.

I have the Hama Bt dongle and experienced the same as yourself, posted here
and got no reply, then discovered.

I insert the dongle in to the usb, run the BT software, this onnects to the
phone,then I start MPT pressed cancel as MPT was booting up, then F6,
changed the modem to BT and I could do all the stuff I can do with the lead.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:26:43 PM

[This followup was posted to alt.cellular.motorola and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <665me0h4ukodvacjiiehmtufqa78d42957@4ax.com>, s-d-l@X-
frizznit-Xlineone.net says...
> Hi folks,
>
> I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
>
> I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
> with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
>
> The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
> permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
> Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.
>
> The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
> to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
> something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!
>
> Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
> function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
> does what it says on the tin!

I found that I first have to enable the Belkin Dongle by creating a
connection for the Motorola phone (I presume you successfully paired the
phone and the laptop) and then getting the laptop BT connection to start
within the Belkin Bluetooth software. THEN I can get the Mobile Phone
Tools to connect. The connection isn't instantaneous - some handshaking
stuff seems to be involved.

The manuals are terrible so I only discovered this by trial and error.
I had similar hassles with my previous Bluetooth phone.

Andrew

--

Reply address ROT13 encoded to reduce UCE.
naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg

"A Steele" <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote in message
> [This followup was posted to alt.cellular.motorola and a copy was sent
> to the cited author.]
>
> In article <665me0h4ukodvacjiiehmtufqa78d42957@4ax.com>, s-d-l@X-
> frizznit-Xlineone.net says...
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
> >
> > I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
> > with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
> > incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
> >
> > The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
> > permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
> > Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.
> >
> > The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
> > to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
> > something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!
> >
> > Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
> > function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
> > does what it says on the tin!
>
> I found that I first have to enable the Belkin Dongle by creating a
> connection for the Motorola phone (I presume you successfully paired the
> phone and the laptop) and then getting the laptop BT connection to start
> within the Belkin Bluetooth software. THEN I can get the Mobile Phone
> Tools to connect. The connection isn't instantaneous - some handshaking
> stuff seems to be involved.
>
> The manuals are terrible so I only discovered this by trial and error.
> I had similar hassles with my previous Bluetooth phone.
>
> Andrew

I don't think the Op wants to mess around with the device.
I agree it is awkward to setup, more to do with the Bt dongle instructions,
however once going I'm sure you agree is easy enough.
BTW the services to uses on the dongle software is DUN. Dial up network.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 4:51:56 AM

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:24:36 GMT, "Avanti"

>I insert the dongle in to the usb, run the BT software, this onnects to the
>phone,then I start MPT pressed cancel as MPT was booting up, then F6,
>changed the modem to BT and I could do all the stuff I can do with the lead.

Thanks for the advice. I tried this and again found that it wouldn't
work. No phone found.

I did try the MPT 'new phone' setup routine and it *did* find the new
phone! Unfortunately, the software locked up while trying to 'install'
new settings, and I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to break into the loop.
Haven't been able to get it to repeat the routine since :(  Most
curious.

Still, I did get the laptop and V600 to see each other in the Belkin
'My BT places', and on the umptheenth attempt found that *this* time I
could simple drag an mp3 file onto the phone using nothing more than
Windows Explorer. Excellent. Dunno why previous attempts to do the
same failed. I'm tempted to philosophize and say "You live and learn".
Hmm. You live, yes, but learn? Only sometimes ;)  Somethings seem
determined to remain secrets....

TTFN,

!