Help: MPT can't see V600 thru BT

Hi folks,

I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)

I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.

The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.

The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!

Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
does what it says on the tin!

Thanks in advance.

Slim
(Please remove "X-frizznit-X" from email address before direct replies)

Best regards,

Simon.
6 answers Last reply
More about help v600

    "Simon Lambert" <s-d-l@X-frizznit-Xlineone.net> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
    >
    > I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
    > with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
    > incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.

    Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT.

    > The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
    > permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
    > Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.

    > The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
    > to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
    > something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!

    > Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
    > function?

    You simply change the modem setting in MPT to ...bluetooth modem press F6
    once MPT is running.

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:51:54 GMT, "Avanti"
    <martin.collins@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
    >> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
    >
    >Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT

    I can get abuse at home. I don't need it here, thank you.

    Since posting, auto-update has taken me to 2.20

    >You simply change the modem setting in MPT to ...bluetooth modem press F6
    >once MPT is running.

    I have done this. I get a message saying that the BT modem is
    "unavailable or being used by another application". Unfortunately, I
    can't think for the life of me which other app would be using it. Been
    into Windows Processes and killed anything that looks like a likely
    candidate. Shooting in the dark, I feel ;)

    Anyone else experienced this?

    Slim

    P.S. Yes, I have RTFM'ed.

    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:51:54 GMT, "Avanti"
    > <martin.collins@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor The
    evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
    > >> incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
    > >
    > >Or the user seems incapable of setting up MPT
    >
    > I can get abuse at home. I don't need it here, thank you.

    You can take it as abuse, but when something isn't working question yourself
    as the operator 1st not the equipment.

    I have the Hama Bt dongle and experienced the same as yourself, posted here
    and got no reply, then discovered.

    I insert the dongle in to the usb, run the BT software, this onnects to the
    phone,then I start MPT pressed cancel as MPT was booting up, then F6,
    changed the modem to BT and I could do all the stuff I can do with the lead.

    [This followup was posted to alt.cellular.motorola and a copy was sent
    to the cited author.]

    In article <665me0h4ukodvacjiiehmtufqa78d42957@4ax.com>, s-d-l@X-
    frizznit-Xlineone.net says...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
    >
    > I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
    > with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
    > incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
    >
    > The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
    > permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
    > Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.
    >
    > The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
    > to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
    > something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!
    >
    > Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
    > function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
    > does what it says on the tin!

    I found that I first have to enable the Belkin Dongle by creating a
    connection for the Motorola phone (I presume you successfully paired the
    phone and the laptop) and then getting the laptop BT connection to start
    within the Belkin Bluetooth software. THEN I can get the Mobile Phone
    Tools to connect. The connection isn't instantaneous - some handshaking
    stuff seems to be involved.

    The manuals are terrible so I only discovered this by trial and error.
    I had similar hassles with my previous Bluetooth phone.

    Andrew

    --

    Reply address ROT13 encoded to reduce UCE.
    naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg

    "A Steele" <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote in message
    > [This followup was posted to alt.cellular.motorola and a copy was sent
    > to the cited author.]
    >
    > In article <665me0h4ukodvacjiiehmtufqa78d42957@4ax.com>, s-d-l@X-
    > frizznit-Xlineone.net says...
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I hope you can offer some constructive advice ;)
    > >
    > > I have just acquired a V600 and a Belkin USB Bluetooth adaptor for use
    > > with my laptop. The evaluation copy of Mobile Phone Tools seems
    > > incapable of 'detecting' my phone. Grrrrr.
    > >
    > > The Belink Bluetooth app paired with the V600 straight away and
    > > permits me to navigate the folders inside the phone using normals
    > > Windows navigation, downloading midi files, pictures, etc.
    > >
    > > The evaluation copy of MPT is version 2.16, but it will not allow me
    > > to install 2.21b unless I actually buy it. Now why would I buy
    > > something that doesn't even appear to perform the most basic task?!
    > >
    > > Has anyone found a way of getting this combination of bits to
    > > function? If this was made by Ronseal there would be a chance that it
    > > does what it says on the tin!
    >
    > I found that I first have to enable the Belkin Dongle by creating a
    > connection for the Motorola phone (I presume you successfully paired the
    > phone and the laptop) and then getting the laptop BT connection to start
    > within the Belkin Bluetooth software. THEN I can get the Mobile Phone
    > Tools to connect. The connection isn't instantaneous - some handshaking
    > stuff seems to be involved.
    >
    > The manuals are terrible so I only discovered this by trial and error.
    > I had similar hassles with my previous Bluetooth phone.
    >
    > Andrew

    I don't think the Op wants to mess around with the device.
    I agree it is awkward to setup, more to do with the Bt dongle instructions,
    however once going I'm sure you agree is easy enough.
    BTW the services to uses on the dongle software is DUN. Dial up network.

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:24:36 GMT, "Avanti"

    >I insert the dongle in to the usb, run the BT software, this onnects to the
    >phone,then I start MPT pressed cancel as MPT was booting up, then F6,
    >changed the modem to BT and I could do all the stuff I can do with the lead.

    Thanks for the advice. I tried this and again found that it wouldn't
    work. No phone found.

    I did try the MPT 'new phone' setup routine and it *did* find the new
    phone! Unfortunately, the software locked up while trying to 'install'
    new settings, and I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to break into the loop.
    Haven't been able to get it to repeat the routine since :( Most
    curious.

    Still, I did get the laptop and V600 to see each other in the Belkin
    'My BT places', and on the umptheenth attempt found that *this* time I
    could simple drag an mp3 file onto the phone using nothing more than
    Windows Explorer. Excellent. Dunno why previous attempts to do the
    same failed. I'm tempted to philosophize and say "You live and learn".
    Hmm. You live, yes, but learn? Only sometimes ;) Somethings seem
    determined to remain secrets....

    TTFN,
    Slim

    (Please remove "X-frizznit-X" from email address before direct replies)

    Best regards,

    Simon.

Motorola Phones