• Configuration
  • Wireless
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 17, 2012 1:20:33 AM

So I just got a laptop with a Killer Wireless-N 1202 Wifi card in it and I cannot connect to my home wifi connection which is given by a Comcast router/modem combo box.

The computer can connect via wired and it can connect to other wifi sources.

It can connect sort of, it detects the AP, and I can connect and authenticate with WPA-2 so actually getting to my wifi isn't the issue, but once "connected," the machine spends time forever "Identifying" the network until it just gives up and shows itself as Unidentified.

I check the IP/Gateway/Subnet and it looks normal (10.0.0.21 (The address range for the Comcast boxes is 10.0.0.X)), but I have "limited access" and I can't even connect to the gateway on the laptop (which seems to be the source of the issue). The little menu to choose a home/work/public connection doesn't show.

On the Router logs, I see the MAC for the laptop request an IP, but other than that, there is no sign of the machine really being connected (such as the device list on the router).

After all I've done, I got no clue what to do. I've re-installed drivers and everything. Has anybody dealt with an issue like this?

Thank you

More about : issue connecting killer wireless comcast modem router combo

August 17, 2012 3:39:39 PM

Hmm. Sounds like the request for the IP isn't being responded to by the DHCP server. You don't have mac filtering turned on do you? DHCP is turned on I assume too?
m
l
August 17, 2012 3:50:26 PM

I ensured any filtering is off, but when I get back home I'll check it again. DHCP is on and working since this is the only machine is getting the issue (I recently got a new phone and that got in just fine) But I'll post back in a few hours when I get back home.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2012 1:03:38 AM

I just went through it, cleared all device and MAC restrictions, rebooted both the router and the computer, cleared the wireless profile and remade it, same exact issue.

Router Log isn't very verbose, but I got this:

dhcpd: DHCP server received REQUEST from E0:06:E6:83:C3:E9, 19:00:47, 2012-08-17

So DHCP is responding and giving it a proper IP, but something about this network causes the machine to not do the "identify" motion.
m
l
August 18, 2012 4:12:59 AM

Scratching my head on this one. When you type ipconfig in the command line does it list an IP address?
Try to ping router, "ping *router IP*"
m
l
August 18, 2012 5:19:24 AM

IP is 10.0.0.200 which is in the acceptable range for the router and all pings time out. I'm gonna load up a live USB and see what happens.

Edit: Although I'd like to note that it is "preferring" 10.0.0.200 as opposed to something lower, like the computer is choosing the 200. I set a static a while back to that, but turned that off so idk why it is sticking.
m
l
August 18, 2012 6:12:48 AM

I booted up a Lubuntu Live USB and tried connecting to both my phone hotspot and my home connection. They both have WPA2 auth, yet like before, the machine would connect to the phone with no problem but for home it would look like it connects, but it is still as though it truly isn't connected. Pinging the gateway doesn't go through although funnily enough the machine's IP is 10.0.0.200 again which causes me to think this could be on the router end of things (since it seems to keep handing this the same IP for not reason). If the settings still look fine, I might end up factory resetting the router as a lest resort.

Edit: I tried a reset, changing the AP name, auth method, I tried connecting via WPS and all that, still nothing. I think I'm gonna take this up with the manufacturer and chipset maker see what suggestions come up.
m
l
August 18, 2012 2:26:12 PM

I'm scratching my head mate. Seems like you've tried almost everything. Wonder why the IP would stick.

Under network and sharing-->*NIC device*-->properties-->Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Are both Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically selected?
m
l
August 18, 2012 6:37:24 PM

Yea, everything is there and pretty standardly set up, IP is in proper range and the DNS is the same are our other machines on the network and I have even tried google public dns although dns shouldn't be the issue cause I can't even ping the gateway.

It just seems to be something specific about this pair of NIC and AP. I wish I had another Comcast Box to test this on. If it worked on another, then I'd know it is something on the Comcast/router end of things.
m
l
November 3, 2012 2:39:29 PM

i have the same problem with you.
i have try to run the ipconfig and ping everything.
i ask the technical personnel they try to fix it they try to fix it, still not fix.
they sand me a new alienware it still have the same problem.
do you find the way to fix it yet?
m
l
January 8, 2013 12:57:03 AM

I replaced the killer wireless card in my Alienware m14x R2 with this card: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Advanced-n-Wimax-6250-622an...

the problem has been solved. there is an incompatibility between the comcast router and the killer wireless card that neither company is going to fix anytime soon (because of how few people have this wifi card/router combination).

my advice is to buy the intel card. it's more reliable and performs just as good in my opinion both for transfers across my network as well as for N and G download/upload speeds. the latency times when in line of sight of the router are also reasonable.
m
l
January 8, 2013 12:58:35 AM

I replaced the killer wireless card in my Alienware m14x R2 with this card: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Advanc [...] intel+6250

the problem has been solved. there is an incompatibility between the comcast router and the killer wireless card that neither company is going to fix anytime soon (because of how few people have this wifi card/router combination).

my advice is to buy the intel card. it's more reliable and performs just as good in my opinion both for transfers across my network as well as for N and G download/upload speeds. the latency times when in line of sight of the router are also reasonable.
m
l
July 6, 2013 6:15:44 PM

Well I just bought a laptop and selected the Killer 1202 card and I have identical issue with my Verizion FIOS router/cable box. It appears the Killer 1202 sees the Verizon router and an N-Wifi box and it is not. When I hover over the Signal Strength icon it says its a G/N Wifi router but it is only a G router? I wonder if Verizon and give me a box that does N?

Killer 1202 is a Wireless N device that suppose to also support IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n. So it should cover everything to date. Not sure why it fails to connect.

\Rich J
m
l
December 14, 2013 10:02:32 PM

Hey guys, I don't know if you're still reading this read but I'm still going to post a response hoping that it will help someone else.
I too had this problem with my Intel Centrino Wireless N2230 and a Cisco WRT120N, my computer finds the wireless network and connects but keeps searching for IP.. I went to the router's "wireless basic settings" and changed the network mode from mixed (which is B/G/N mixed) to B/G mixed. and that did the trick!
m
l