American McGee's Alice to become movie?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4114936.stm

Former Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar is to play
the lead role in a big screen adaptation of Alice In Wonderland.

The 28-year-old actress will play Alice in adulthood in a modern
interpretation of Lewis Carroll's classic stories.

It will be based on a computer game in which Alice destroys enemies
with playing cards and croquet mallets.

The US game, also called Alice In Wonderland, was a best-seller when it
was released in 2000.

Threatening

The Alice in the game is a young woman consigned to psychiatric care
following the death of her parents.

In Wonderland she encounters many of the story's favourite characters,
such as the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter.

But it is transformed into a threatening place where she has to battle
to stay alive.

The new Alice film will be directed by Marcus Nispel, who recently made
a new version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

--

Since the game itself isn't part of a series, it's a strange choice - I
wonder will they do a sequel or updated re-release?

P.
17 answers Last reply
More about american mcgee alice movie

    "oceanclub" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4114936.stm
    >
    > Former Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar is to play
    > the lead role in a big screen adaptation of Alice In Wonderland.
    >
    > The 28-year-old actress will play Alice in adulthood in a modern
    > interpretation of Lewis Carroll's classic stories.
    >
    > It will be based on a computer game in which Alice destroys enemies
    > with playing cards and croquet mallets.
    >
    > The US game, also called Alice In Wonderland, was a best-seller when it
    > was released in 2000.
    >
    > Threatening
    >
    > The Alice in the game is a young woman consigned to psychiatric care
    > following the death of her parents.
    >
    > In Wonderland she encounters many of the story's favourite characters,
    > such as the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter.
    >
    > But it is transformed into a threatening place where she has to battle
    > to stay alive.
    >
    > The new Alice film will be directed by Marcus Nispel, who recently made
    > a new version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Since the game itself isn't part of a series, it's a strange choice - I
    > wonder will they do a sequel or updated re-release?
    >
    > P.

    Might actually be the first game movie that works. You can't go wrong with
    the "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" story lines.

    A must-miss!

    --
    there is no .sig

    "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote in message

    > Might actually be the first game movie that works. You can't go wrong
    > with
    > the "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" story lines.

    But it does beg the question: will they follow-up with a game based on the
    movie, based on the game, based on the book?

    In article <1119357189.468176.45700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    paul_moloney@hotmail.com says...
    > The new Alice film will be directed by Marcus Nispel, who recently made
    > a new version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

    Is it just me, or does that movie cry out for Tim Burton to direct it?

    --
    Rob Berryhill

    "Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <1119357189.468176.45700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    > paul_moloney@hotmail.com says...
    >> The new Alice film will be directed by Marcus Nispel, who recently made
    >> a new version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    >
    > Is it just me, or does that movie cry out for Tim Burton to direct it?

    Now you're talking. Tim Burton is probably the only guy that could actually
    pull it off. But IMHO the movie is doomed even before it's made. How the
    heck are they going to do a movie based on that game? It's going to be a
    little strange to see a grown woman throwing playing cards at hordes of
    enemies. They at lest should have cast a teenager for the lead. JLC

    Quoth The Raven "oceanclub"<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> in
    1119357189.468176.45700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4114936.stm
    >
    > Former Buffy The Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar is to play
    > the lead role in a big screen adaptation of Alice In Wonderland.

    WOOHOO!

    --
    Blessed be the pessimist for he hath made backups.

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    Thus spake "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com>, Wed, 22 Jun 2005 02:58:55 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >> All that matters is... will they have SMG naked?
    >>

    >I think most of us already know what a flagpole looks like.

    ROFLMFAO!!!

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
    spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >"Rob Berryhill" <rob_berryhill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <1119357189.468176.45700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    >> paul_moloney@hotmail.com says...
    >>> The new Alice film will be directed by Marcus Nispel, who recently made
    >>> a new version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    >>
    >> Is it just me, or does that movie cry out for Tim Burton to direct it?
    >>

    >Now you're talking. Tim Burton is probably the only guy that could >actually pull it off.

    Burton definitely.

    >But IMHO the movie is doomed even before it's made. How the heck are >they going to do a movie based on that game? It's going to be a >little strange to see a grown woman throwing playing cards at hordes >of enemies. They at lest should have cast a teenager for the lead.

    Or at least someone darkhaired and a bit more "waifish".
    Geller doesn't seem to me to fit the role.

    My first thought was Winona Ryder.

    Xocyll

    Thusly stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> Spake Unto All:

    >> My first thought was Winona Ryder.
    >
    >Nope. Let's have somebody with at least a modicum of acting skill.

    Kristin Kreuk (plays Lana Lang in Smallville).

    A fantastic actor. Especially if there's to be nude scenes.

    toadie05@sbcglobal.net once tried to test me with:

    > wouldn't get your hopes up, SMG has a No-Nudity clause in all of her
    > contracts going back to Buffy... so it'll be be doubtful Alice is
    > going to get naked unless they recast

    Wasn't Alice in American McGee's Alice a brunette?

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > toadie05@sbcglobal.net once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> wouldn't get your hopes up, SMG has a No-Nudity clause in all of her
    >> contracts going back to Buffy... so it'll be be doubtful Alice is
    >> going to get naked unless they recast
    >
    > Wasn't Alice in American McGee's Alice a brunette?

    Yes, and she was a short teenager not a blond grown woman. JLC

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Kristin Kreuk (plays Lana Lang in Smallville).
    >
    > A fantastic actor. Especially if there's to be nude scenes.

    Once you go Cheshire Cat, you never go back. Or so... or so I've heard.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au>, Wed, 22 Jun 2005
    22:35:38 +1000, Anno Domini:

    >> I take it you've never seen the Kristine DeBell version then? >8^P~~~
    >
    >oic, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074113/
    >++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    >In fact, by today's standards, it would probably garner an R rating. This
    >witty, appealing fantasy musical skinflick treatment of the Lewis Carroll
    >classic would likely make the author proud. With songs like "What's a Girl
    >Like You Doing On A Knight Like This", you will laugh a LOT as familiar
    >characters such as the Caterpillar, the Mad Hatter and the White Rabbit put
    >a titillating twist on the children's tale. Certainly not for the kiddies,
    >but it doesn't have the hardcore, unemotional edge common to the genre. It's
    >just pure silliness and fun, fun, fun.
    >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    I told you it was fun! ;-) (there are some uncut hardcore scenes floating
    around that never made the final R cut, but they seem out of place somehow -
    as a soft porn romp it's hilarious, as a porno per se, it's a bit overcooked
    ;-)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    Thusly "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Yes, and she was a short teenager not a blond grown woman. JLC

    "Blond", "grown", and "woman"... that's stretching things a bit wrt
    SMG, isn't it?

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> writes:

    > oic, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074113/

    Bummer, can't find it on Netflix. :^(

    Nick

    --
    # sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
    print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

    Thus spake Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com>, 22 Jun 2005 23:55:22 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >toadie05@sbcglobal.net once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> wouldn't get your hopes up, SMG has a No-Nudity clause in all of her
    >> contracts going back to Buffy... so it'll be be doubtful Alice is
    >> going to get naked unless they recast
    >
    >Wasn't Alice in American McGee's Alice a brunette?

    SMG is a natural brunette. :)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Thu, 23 Jun
    2005 08:42:15 +0200, Anno Domini:

    >Thusly "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>Yes, and she was a short teenager not a blond grown woman. JLC
    >
    >"Blond", "grown", and "woman"... that's stretching things a bit wrt
    >SMG, isn't it?

    Yup, 5'3" would barely reach my...ahem.

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

PC gaming Movies American Games Video Games