Use a wireless router to connect to a wireless network

adzonline

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Hi, Im having some issues getting my network at home to how I would like it but Im not sure if its possible with the equipment I have at the moment so I was wondering if anybody knows if its at all possible to do what I want here.

I currently have a wireless network operating using a Dlink DSL2740B with absolutely no probs and I get great reception and speeds throughout my entire apartment which I am surprised about due to its size. I have an Xbox 360 in my bedroom which I use for Xbox Live fairly regularly but it does not connect wirelessly (Old white model). At the moment whenever I want to play I am having to connect my laptop to the wireless, plug the Xbox in to the laptop with an ethernet cable and create a network bridge in between the two. I dont really get any problems with lag or connectivity this way Im just finding it to be a pain in the ass connecting it like this all the time.

I also have at home sitting brand new in a box a Netgear DVG1000 wireless 4 port modem router and wanted to know if it is possible to use the wireless feature of this modem to instead of broadcast a wireless network, connect to my current one so I can use the ethernet ports to create a wired network in my bedroom.

Personally I would rather just buy a long enough ethernet cable and run it through the apartment but I live with chick who would freak out at a network cable being left running through the place for long periods of time. :pfff:

Thanks in advance for your help :D

adzonline

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

The Dlink is about a year to 18 months old, but was a top of the line ADSL2+ router when I got it, the Netgear is brand spanking new, it was sent out by my new ISP but it didnt arrive until a week after my connection was active so Ive been using the Dlink as the actual modem. I cant find any settings for bridging in the Dlink admin settings but I havent tried looking in the Netgear one yet as I wanted to sell it brand new on Ebay if it cant be used for what Im hoping to achieve so I can use the $ to buy something that will.

If this doesnt work, any suggestions on a good wireless 4 port routers that will be good for what Im hoping to achieve?