Fdisk not seeing a full 120 gig drive?

seven11

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Hi everyone,

Now, this might actually be a really stupid question and I am overlooking somethign glaringly obvious..

Just popped in a new IBM 120 gig deskstar, running an Asus A7M266 motherboard. Fdisk doesn't seem to want to see more than 52 gigs of the 120 gig drive, while in my BIOS (flashed to the latest 1007 version), the drive does indeed report itself as being 120 gigabytes. I admit, I've actually never touched a drive of this size before so I haven't bumped into any issues with fdisk not seeing more than 52 gigs. Is there somethign that I'm missing out on that I have to do to get fdisk to see the full 120 gigs and so that I can format it/partition it etc., as a 120 gig drive? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hoping this isn't a question that has ben asked here 400 times, but if it has, my apologies :)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you running Win98? If you are, then you need new <b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q263044" target="_new"><font color=red>FDisk</A></b></font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

seven11

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Hey there,

Thanks, just installed that update, bit things still seem to be tad screwy. How odd...

The drive formats through the command prompt as 52 gigs...but when you get into windows, it sees it as 115 gigs. Everything seems slow as heck though.

I blasted away Windows98SE, tried doing a reinstall and while Windows installs for the most part, when it boots I get a Windows Protection error. I can get in in safe mode, but file copy functions seem flakey (not even when using the new 120 gig, on all drives). Sometimes during a file copy/move the machine will just freeze.

Truly stumped here :/

seven11

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2001
Hmm, just was sitting here wondering something:

If I fdisk'd the new drive with the updated fdisk from Microsoft, would that mean that I also have to re-fdisk all of my other drives that were previously fdisk'd with the old fdisk in the same machine?

llewelyn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
why don't you use the IBM installation software? if you didn't get it with the drive you can download it from their website.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I fdisk'd the new drive with the updated fdisk from Microsoft, would that mean that I also have to re-fdisk all of my other drives that were previously fdisk'd with the old fdisk in the same machine?
Win98 old FDisk only has problem recognizing drives bigger than 64GB. If your other HDs are shown their correct capacities, you don't have to do that.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.