56k modem and HL2 start

It's a hysterical experience trying to start this one for the first time
with a lousy modem. It's as bad as Formula One at Indianapolis last
weekend. I'm still at the pitstop getting my Michelin tyres replaced with
Bridgestones and it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes and counting. I think I
just saw John Lewis pass me by with a BAR Honda (Far Cry 1.3) and top Walter
Mitty's last lap record.
12 answers Last reply
More about modem start

    "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote in message
    > It's a hysterical experience trying to start this one for the first time
    > with a lousy modem. It's as bad as Formula One at Indianapolis last
    > weekend. I'm still at the pitstop getting my Michelin tyres replaced with
    > Bridgestones and it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes and counting. I think I
    > just saw John Lewis pass me by with a BAR Honda (Far Cry 1.3) and top
    > Walter
    > Mitty's last lap record.

    I hope your ISP is generous with your online limits. You are going to need
    about 60 hours to complete this...

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:58:12 +0300, "Nada"
    <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote:

    >It's a hysterical experience trying to start this one for the first time
    >with a lousy modem. It's as bad as Formula One at Indianapolis last
    >weekend. I'm still at the pitstop getting my Michelin tyres replaced with
    >Bridgestones and it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes and counting. I think I
    >just saw John Lewis pass me by with a BAR Honda (Far Cry 1.3) and top Walter
    >Mitty's last lap record.

    LOL !!

    Can't say you were not warned about the (er) "contributions"
    of Steam or similar on-line validation/update schemes to the
    advancement of Single-Player game technology.

    I believe that the upcoming Prey will be using similar
    technology, so I suggest possibly giving that one a miss....

    It would be very wise in future purchases of games with
    Single-player components to scan the box very carefully
    for the dread words "Intenet connection Required" and
    see if those words apply to the whole game instead of
    just the usual MP component. Buyer beware.....
    --

    John Lewis

    "Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"

    "Company Man" <spook@covert.invalid> wrote:

    > "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote:
    > > It's a hysterical experience trying to start this one for the first time
    > > with a lousy modem. It's as bad as Formula One at Indianapolis last
    > > weekend. I'm still at the pitstop getting my Michelin tyres replaced
    with
    > > Bridgestones and it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes and counting. I think
    > > just saw John Lewis pass me by with a BAR Honda (Far Cry 1.3) and top
    > > Walter
    > > Mitty's last lap record.
    > >

    > I hope your ISP is generous with your online limits. You are going to need
    > about 60 hours to complete this...

    That's okay, I'm just 28.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > I believe that the upcoming Prey will be using similar
    > technology, so I suggest possibly giving that one a miss....

    Have you actually DONE any research about xStream, or you just
    regurgitating the typical bullshit that people don't bother to verify?

    xStream provides the ability to buy the game online, but it apparently
    is NOT required to play. It's simply an alternative method for getting
    the game, a method with for the retail version will not have. Steam has
    given online-distribution a bad image by also tying it with
    copy-protection. That's not the purpose of xStream, at least, that's
    what is being said. However, because it's easier to bash rather than
    think, people immediately associate it with Steam and don't stop to
    think about what the differences between them are. It's damn annoying
    and I feel sorry for 3DR/Human-Head regarding this misinformation.

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:18:06 +0930, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >xStream provides the ability to buy the game online, but it apparently
    >is NOT required to play. It's simply an alternative method for getting
    >the game, a method with for the retail version will not have. Steam has
    >given online-distribution a bad image by also tying it with
    >copy-protection. That's not the purpose of xStream, at least, that's
    >what is being said. However, because it's easier to bash rather than
    >think, people immediately associate it with Steam and don't stop to
    >think about what the differences between them are. It's damn annoying
    >and I feel sorry for 3DR/Human-Head regarding this misinformation.

    So you think Game xStream will just let you download software for
    free? Try reading the products feature list then try using Google to
    find out what DRM means.

    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> I believe that the upcoming Prey will be using similar
    >> technology, so I suggest possibly giving that one a miss....
    >
    >Have you actually DONE any research about xStream, or you just
    >regurgitating the typical bullshit that people don't bother to verify?
    >
    >xStream provides the ability to buy the game online, but it

    >apparently

    what does that mean ?

    >is NOT required to play. It's simply an alternative method for getting
    >the game, a method with for the retail version will not have.

    So it has been confirmed by 3dRealms that the SINGLE-PLAYER
    component of the RETAIL version of Prey has the virtues listed
    below ??

    1. Does not REQUIRE an Intenet connection for ANY REASON
    to install and play the game. Any copy-protection is totally
    confined to elements included in the retail package and
    requires no (er) "outside assistance"....

    2. Stand-alone patches will be available through the normal
    PC download sites and can be archived locally.

    Please point me to the location on the 3dRealms web-site where
    the above 2 items are officially confirmed. I can't find it....

    However, I might be able to find a suitable bridge for you to
    buy, sight unseen....

    Let the buyer beware...........
    --

    "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:58:12 +0300, "Nada"
    > <nada_says@hotmail.com_killspam> wrote:
    >
    > >It's a hysterical experience trying to start this one for the first time
    > >with a lousy modem. It's as bad as Formula One at Indianapolis last
    > >weekend. I'm still at the pitstop getting my Michelin tyres replaced
    with
    > >Bridgestones and it's been 1 hour and 35 minutes and counting. I think I
    > >just saw John Lewis pass me by with a BAR Honda (Far Cry 1.3) and top
    > >Walter Mitty's last lap record.
    > >

    > LOL !!
    >
    > Can't say you were not warned about the (er) "contributions"
    > of Steam or similar on-line validation/update schemes to the
    > advancement of Single-Player game technology.

    I heard all the warnings, but didn't really believe it until I witnessed it
    myself. My relatives who all have a limited knowledge in both software and
    hardware will absolutely drown in between with this crazy online interface.
    I had no idea what kind of purpose some of these menus have or what will
    they do.

    > I believe that the upcoming Prey will be using similar
    > technology, so I suggest possibly giving that one a miss....

    They have another one coming up?

    > It would be very wise in future purchases of games with
    > Single-player components to scan the box very carefully
    > for the dread words "Intenet connection Required" and
    > see if those words apply to the whole game instead of
    > just the usual MP component. Buyer beware.....
    > --
    >
    > John Lewis

    I knew somewhat what to expect, but still, I'm floored by the Steam
    experience. I've actually had sudden bursts of laughter with no apparent
    reason.

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:18:06 +0930, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >>>I believe that the upcoming Prey will be using similar
    >>>technology, so I suggest possibly giving that one a miss....
    >>
    >>Have you actually DONE any research about xStream, or you just
    >>regurgitating the typical bullshit that people don't bother to verify?
    >>
    >>xStream provides the ability to buy the game online, but it
    >

    >>apparently
    >

    > what does that mean ?
    >

    >>is NOT required to play. It's simply an alternative method for getting
    >>the game, a method with for the retail version will not have.
    >

    > So it has been confirmed by 3dRealms that the SINGLE-PLAYER
    > component of the RETAIL version of Prey has the virtues listed
    > below ??
    >
    > 1. Does not REQUIRE an Intenet connection for ANY REASON
    > to install and play the game. Any copy-protection is totally
    > confined to elements included in the retail package and
    > requires no (er) "outside assistance"....
    >
    > 2. Stand-alone patches will be available through the normal
    > PC download sites and can be archived locally.
    >
    > Please point me to the location on the 3dRealms web-site where
    > the above 2 items are officially confirmed. I can't find it....
    >
    > However, I might be able to find a suitable bridge for you to
    > buy, sight unseen....
    >
    > Let the buyer beware...........

    My point is: dont' jump the gun so quickly. Let's see what happens.

    Also, keep in mind that xSteam is NOT a product of 3DRealms. It's made
    by someone else. Sure, nothing has been fixed in stone yet (it's going
    to take some time before the game is ready), but something tells me the
    folks at 3DR are smarter than to cut their own throats anymore.

    I don't want to see a quality game get disregarded so easily. That's why
    I said what I said.

    x-no-archive: yes

    Nada wrote:

    <snip>

    great post Nada!
    thank you very much for your testimony
    believe me i've been reading dozens of posts like yours for
    the past 8 months since valve set the monster free... STEAM
    and since then i've been fighting the beast with all i have
    and i know pc games and pc gamers worldwide will defeat it
    long life pc games STEAM FREE!
    and thanks again for your support

    ps: problems with steam are far beyond dial-up and no matter
    what net connection you have steam will always be extremely
    wrong

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    Company Man wrote:
    > I hope your ISP is generous with your online limits. You are going to need
    > about 60 hours to complete this...

    Is that to download the whole game, or just the updates to the retail
    version?

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Company Man wrote:
    >> I hope your ISP is generous with your online limits. You are going to
    >> need
    >> about 60 hours to complete this...
    >
    > Is that to download the whole game, or just the updates to the retail
    > version?

    As I understand it, to bring the retail product up to date.

    Company Man wrote:
    > "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Company Man wrote:
    >>
    >>>I hope your ISP is generous with your online limits. You are going to
    >>>need
    >>>about 60 hours to complete this...
    >>
    >>Is that to download the whole game, or just the updates to the retail
    >>version?
    >>

    > As I understand it, to bring the retail product up to date.

    Bulldinks. Keep in mind that even though there have been a heck of a lot
    of updates since it's release, many of the updates have replaced OLDER
    updates (eg. changes to the engine, occasional changes to existing maps,
    etc). Sure, some updates are brand new (eg. CS bots, HL2DM, maps for CSS
    and HL2DM), but you always have the option to update things one at a
    time if you like. Update HL2 first to bring the engine to the latest
    version, then update CSS, then install HL2DM and so on.

    It's "bearable", and resumable.

PC gaming Modem Video Games