Sign in with
Your question

Wired internet problems, Don't know what else to do

Last response: in Networking
September 20, 2012 7:09:11 PM

I recently just purchased an SSD drive and installed Win 7 64 bit on it. I have updated all drivers and windows update is up to date as of right now.

I am randomly losing connection (wired) just for a few seconds and it continues fine. I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff but I think I am doing everything right. I have tried restarting the modem multiple times and doing the cmd commands from probably hundreds of google searches for help.

On speedtest.com I am getting 30+ down and 7 up with 5 ms ping. The speed of the internet is fine, I just keep getting random spikes while gaming.

I know this information is pretty bland, but does anybody have any suggestions for me.

Thank you for your time in advance!
September 20, 2012 8:59:29 PM

are you loosing network or internet connection?

if it is internet connection and you can still connect to the router, then it is not your computer but your router, modem, or internet connection.

do you have a modem, or a modem/router all-in-one?
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:02:28 PM

Quote:
I just keep getting random spikes while gaming.

If this only happens when gaming then I'd be looking at the game server/s. They could be overloaded.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 5:30:12 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, after 3 full days of banging my head against a wall I just ordered a new ethernet card and a new ethernet cable, I am going to test this out. I started having the problems when I installed an ssd and installed win7 64 bit on it.

I updated all drivers, including graphics card / ethernet / motherboard, everything. I am going to see if a new ethernet card will maybe bypass this problem because im just so fed up with it. haha

I did try reinstalling win7 multiple times, changing settings in between and nothing has worked.
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:31:19 PM

If this does or doesn't work I'll let everyone know.
m
l
November 4, 2012 7:40:45 PM

I am having similar issues only when gaming (dropping connection randomly) although it sometimes happens systematically after 2-3 minutes and sometimes after more than 40 minutes...running Windows 8 and connected directly to a school ethernet port using an onboard Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Controller.
m
l
!