Audio & External Firewire HD Questions

Last response: in Home Audio
September 7, 2004 5:27:16 PM

Hi all.
I run a small recording studio and I use my mac (and Bias Peak) for
final 2 track editing. I just bought an external firewire HD (OWC
200GB Mercury) and I will be using it mainly to store audio files and
such. I haven't even opened the box yet, and before I do, what should
I do to "format it" to work with my 867 G4 running OS 10.3.5? Is there
an advantage to running my audio apps off of it instead of the built
in drive?

Thanks a lot for any help........
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:54:02 AM

I recently bought the ADS Technologies Firewire box and put a Western
Digital drive in it. I was most impressed at how easy it was to
install and format. When I plugged the Firewire cable into my 17" iMac
running 10.3.5, a message popped up telling me that it couldn't
recognize the device (or something to that affect) but it show up on my
desktop. I launched Disk Utility, selected the device, and selected
Erase. Under options, you have the choice of 'Zero all data' which
writes zeros to all sectors of the disk, or '8 way random write format'
which writes random data over the entire disk eight times. Both of
these methods take some time to finish. I just selected the basic
'Erase' function, and had a working drive in about 2 minutes. It was
stupid easy.

I then just dragged my folder containing all of my projects to the
Firewire drive icon to my desktop and it copied everything there.
Painless!

You don't actually run your apps off of that drive, just all of your
audio files etc reside there. Leaving them on your system drive is a
bad idea because all the playing, writing and erasing done by the drive
will significantly shorten the life of your drive. I've also been told
that it should help with performance because your system drive doesn't
have to keep moving between system and application files used to run
your app and the location of the audio files. I seemed to gain a
little performance boost using ProTools LE, but I can't say for certain
how much. If you're only running Peak, this isn't an issue.

About once a week, I copy my work back to my system drive just in
case....

Norm!!

In article <6d4a104c.0409071227.4ef84d0f@posting.google.com>, e.maynard
<analogcabin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
> I run a small recording studio and I use my mac (and Bias Peak) for
> final 2 track editing. I just bought an external firewire HD (OWC
> 200GB Mercury) and I will be using it mainly to store audio files and
> such. I haven't even opened the box yet, and before I do, what should
> I do to "format it" to work with my 867 G4 running OS 10.3.5? Is there
> an advantage to running my audio apps off of it instead of the built
> in drive?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help........
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:22:23 AM

"e.maynard" wrote:

> Hi all.
> I run a small recording studio and I use my mac (and Bias Peak) for
> final 2 track editing. I just bought an external firewire HD (OWC
> 200GB Mercury) and I will be using it mainly to store audio files and
> such. I haven't even opened the box yet, and before I do, what should
> I do to "format it" to work with my 867 G4 running OS 10.3.5? Is there
> an advantage to running my audio apps off of it instead of the built
> in drive?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help........

When you get around to opening the box, you'll most lokely find a CD-ROM
with the software you need to format the drive. Leave the apps on the
built-in drive and put the audio files on the firewire drive.
September 9, 2004 2:10:58 AM

In article <413E6D2B.DED3C19C@flash.net>, Dave Latchaw
<dayvel@flash.net> wrote:

> "e.maynard" wrote:
>
> > Hi all.
> > I run a small recording studio and I use my mac (and Bias Peak) for
> > final 2 track editing. I just bought an external firewire HD (OWC
> > 200GB Mercury) and I will be using it mainly to store audio files and
> > such. I haven't even opened the box yet, and before I do, what should
> > I do to "format it" to work with my 867 G4 running OS 10.3.5? Is there
> > an advantage to running my audio apps off of it instead of the built
> > in drive?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help........
>
> When you get around to opening the box, you'll most lokely find a CD-ROM
> with the software you need to format the drive. Leave the apps on the
> built-in drive and put the audio files on the firewire drive.

No drivers required for the drive in the Mac world.

Norm!!
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:28:45 AM

In article <413E6D2B.DED3C19C@flash.net>,
Dave Latchaw <dayvel@flash.net> wrote:

> When you get around to opening the box, you'll most lokely find a CD-ROM
> with the software you need to format the drive. Leave the apps on the
> built-in drive and put the audio files on the firewire drive.

Under OSX, the built in Disk Utility is the preferred software to format
disks. it works really well, it's 100% supported and included with the
OS. Can't get any better than that...

--
Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:36:27 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 22:10:58 GMT, "Norm!!" <Thebigonion@plunger.adj>
wrote:

>> When you get around to opening the box, you'll most lokely find a CD-ROM
>> with the software you need to format the drive. Leave the apps on the
>> built-in drive and put the audio files on the firewire drive.
>>
>No drivers required for the drive in the Mac world.

Or the PC world, for that matter :-)

September 9, 2004 10:32:33 AM

Monte McGuire <monte.mcguire@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<monte.mcguire-AEF6B3.19284508092004@news.verizon.net>...
> In article <413E6D2B.DED3C19C@flash.net>,
> Dave Latchaw <dayvel@flash.net> wrote:
>
> > When you get around to opening the box, you'll most lokely find a CD-ROM
> > with the software you need to format the drive. Leave the apps on the
> > built-in drive and put the audio files on the firewire drive.
>
> Under OSX, the built in Disk Utility is the preferred software to format
> disks. it works really well, it's 100% supported and included with the
> OS. Can't get any better than that...

The OP says he bought the drive from OWC; historically this suggests
he needs to do absolutely nothing other than plug it in. They come
pre-formatted for Mac OSX & OS9.

As for his question re: keeping apps & audio files on separate drives,
the short answer is Yes. Google this ng for numerous explanations why.
!