System running slow

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
I just upgraded my pc 2 days ago and its running slow...
the hard drive is still the same though and there are no viruses. I have win7 ultimate 64 bit.
my hdd had some data but no virus apparently so I dont seem to understand why its running slow..?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
What parts did you upgrade? or was it a new computer all together? Did you just pull out the HDD in your old PC and put it in the new one?

1) Hit 'start' and type in "msconfig", go to the 'startup' tab and disable anything that is not needed when you boot up (for example you do not need every adobe updater on earth to start with your PC, nor do you need skype to start with it, but you may want to keep things like antivirus, mouse/keyboard software, and other commonly used things).

2) download CCleaner and run both the cleaner and the registry checker. Rerun the registry checker until there are no errors, or 1-2 errors that it cannot resolve.

3) use a lightweight antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials

4) be sure to install all of the drivers for your motherboard, GPU, and other devices. Even without the proper drivers it should run fairly quick, but with the proper drivers things will run much smoother.

If none of those work then it may be a hardware issue. use the windows utilites to check your RAM and HDD for issues (windows memory diagnostic, and Check Disc). Check your system temperatures as all modern CPUs will slow down if they are running too hot.

What HDD are you using? If your are reusing an older drive then a new HDD or SSD will speed things up considerably.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

I upgraded all parts except hdd... its a seagate 160 gb @ 7200 rpm ... I was using it in my old pc
all other parts like cpu mobo gfx card psu ram are brand new

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

I upgraded all parts except hdd... its a seagate 160 gb @ 7200 rpm ... I was using it in my old pc
all other parts like cpu mobo gfx card psu ram are brand new

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012

I have a seagate 160gb @7200rpm....
I tried to run the utilities but they dont start as my pc is too slow...

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Remove unused programs
Install and run antispyware software
Free up wasted space with Disk Cleanup tool
Defragment your hard disk drive
Disconnect unused network connections:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Disconnect Network Drive.

Select the network drives that you no longer need, and then click OK.

ALSO

Stop Unwanted startup programs:

Start > Run > write msconfig > Click on StartUp tab
Deselect the programs you want to stop

Click Start - Run, type in %temp% and then click OK.

Once that temp folder is open and you can view its contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside it.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

Repeat the steps with c:\windows\temp

After you're done with both temp folders, restart the computer.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Any time you build a new PC it is best to install a fresh copy of Windows. As the drivers for the old hardware are still on the system and the registry is calling to things that no longer exist, you would be best served copying any required data off of the drive, formatting, and reinstalling Windows.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
Thete are only 3 background processes running which are raelly needed ... I cant stop that cuz i need em... All drives are completely swiped except the system drive and i have cleaned it uo as much as i could... Still its slow and i also used kasperksky2012... It detected no viruses..

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
No one can guarantee any step will resolve your issues. They may well be hardware related. But as the drive was functioning normally before the new build, it is the most logical next step.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

It may indicate a bad sector(s) or the like (google it?) and you could give the drive a sweep with diagnostics software from the manufacturer. But I doubt it's causing your problems and as Puff3r mentioned, you really don't want to be transplanting a drive with OS into a completely new environment.

Seeing as how you have other HDDs which you've already formatted... I would use one of those to install a fresh copy of Windows. There are no guarantees, we're here trying to offer you advice. You're more than welcome to skip it and do nothing. It's definitely what I would do though as nothing gets lost in the process. You can revert back to your old installation if you like. Heck, you've been having these problems since May 1st and you're only looking at maybe 90 minutes or so with a clean install, drivers and Windows updates. If it doesn't work, at least it may provide a clue on other potential hardware problems - including ruling out any potential issues with your other HDD.

divJ

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 25, 2012
firstly I have only one hdd..
secondly I have replaced the hdd with a new wd caviar blue.... if the problems persists in this drive too then I will... idk what I ll do really..
bt if it doesnt work atleast I ll surely know that the problem is in the copy of windows

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I assumed you were referring to multiple HDDs...

You merely formatted all your other partitions ;)

Anyway... I hope it works out, let us know how it went :)