Windows 7 clean install from upgrade?

ak120691

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
So here's my dilemna. I want to start building my computer ASAP but I would have to wait a little longer seeing how I would have to purchase Windows 7 for 100 bucks.

However my school offers windows 7 professional for free to students as a upgrade download. Also I could pay 24 dollars to get a CD copy of it.

Would I be able to save possibly 60 bucks by using this upgrade CD/download as the "clean install"?

Or is it only good for upgrading from a previous windows -> 7?

Edit: For instance, I would buy Windows 7 Professional 64 bit from the site (it's labeled as an "upgrade" though) and pop it into my newly built desktop and just install windows using that? Is that possible?

Also if I was to use the free download are there any ways for me to burn it onto a cd and use that?

ak120691

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I have read people testify that they have used their win7 upgrade cd's to do clean installs on brand new HD's without an existing OS on said HD. They then proceeded to use product keys they have for previous versions on seperate computers to activate the upgrade version.

Would I be able to take the product key of my Win7 home premium from my laptop and use that key to activate the upgrade version on my desktop?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
a better idea

go to the microsoft website. you can get a full copy cheap through them if your a student

for an upgrade copy

as long as you own a windows xp/vista full install disk

install it first then use the update disk it is legal

because you can install a retail copy as often as you like as long as only so many of them are activated at one time

then it is legal otherwise you are going to need to buy a retail copy