Roland VP9000 Sampler - insane elastic audio processor?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 7, 2004 11:17:24 PM

I remember reading a few years ago about this sampler/effects
processor and how cool it was, but the drawback was the price (over 2k
if I remember right). I've seen them for sale for around $5-600 lately
and was wondering if anyone has used one or has more info on them. It
seemed to do things that no other sampler could do.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:58:17 PM

grubay@earthlink.net (sd) wrote in message news:<6e26b2a3.0409071817.7de82767@posting.google.com>...
> I remember reading a few years ago about this sampler/effects
> processor and how cool it was, but the drawback was the price (over 2k
> if I remember right). I've seen them for sale for around $5-600 lately
> and was wondering if anyone has used one or has more info on them. It
> seemed to do things that no other sampler could do.

It's a very cool unit as an effects unit and somewhat of a sampler,
but it's limited with it's somewhat short sample time (around 50
seconds I think). The great thing is that your samples stay in pitch
and time of the original sample, within an octave or so. Anything
beyond that and it sounds really strange (which could be a good thing
to some people). I like using it as a vocal harmony idea box, figuring
out which harmony will work for a certain part. Like a harmonizer box
on steroids.
Also as a thickener for synths, drums, guitars, etc. Say you need to
fatten up a kick track, just sample it in, then trigger it to play
down the track a third, or even an octave, record it back and sync it
up. It will play back in speed of the original hit, but be much lower
and fatter. Use it the same way for synths or heavy guitar tracks and
it sounds great.
Plus, if your a remix or electronica guy who needs samples to fit into
a certain space but it's too long or too short, you can shorten or
stretch the audio to the length you want, in REAL TIME, somthing I've
never seen any other unit do.
The fact that you can pick up this box for under $500 is a steal if
you ask me, I paid $1200 for mine a few years back.
I think it never took off because it was so expensive when it came
out.
September 9, 2004 3:01:50 PM

From what I've heard, it can sample about 10 minutes mono, 5 stereo,
when the memory if totally maxed out. Is this true?
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:43:51 PM

Actually it does to close to 10 minutes with the memory upgrades(or
there abouts, I'd have to check to be sure), but the catch is that it
only does it in 55 second sections. Sort of a bummer if you wanted to
sample whole songs with it, but well enough for certain song sections
or individual recorded tracks.
September 10, 2004 2:14:10 PM

How well does the matching of different tempos & pitches work?
And is the robot function of any use?
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 7:59:50 PM

> How well does the matching of different tempos & pitches work?
> And is the robot function of any use?

The tempo & pitch matching works great, a good box for remixers fer
sure. The robot function is hit and miss depending on what you've
sampled. But I will say that I've used it a few times and people
always want to how know how I achieved it. The cool thing about it
(unlike the other roland boxes that have the robot function) is that
you can change the pitch, and since it always comes out monotone,
being able to change the pitch is a big plus.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 4:44:37 AM

Just buy one already, think of it as a bizarre effects processor that
samples on the side.
September 23, 2004 2:06:15 PM

Just an update, I just received a used one from ebay and I'm loving
this box! Everything you guys said is true, it does some really insane
time stretching/harmonizing & effects......Thanks everyone!
!