stuck in Indy Jones & The Infernal Machine

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

I'm on the ninth level, Teotihuacan, of Indiana Jones and the Infernal
Machine. It's the one that takes place within the 'sun pyramid'. I've
gathered all three idols yet I can't open the fourth door in the
central, gear room. Three of the gears are lined up towards the door I
want to open but when I rotate the nearby statue they fail to open the
door! This process worked with the other three doors in the gear room.
Is there something I'm overlooking?

Aside from the three idols I've also collected the mirror and opened
the roofs in each room that contains an idol. So now the sunlight is
shining down upon the statue in the gear room. When I attempt to place
the mirror in the statue's hands Indy says "Not yet..." I even ran
throughout the level lighting up all of the torches in hopes that was
somehow required to progress further. Alas it was in vain for I'm
still stuck.

Do the gears have to be in a special order to open the forth door?
There's distinct markings on all four of the gears yet none of the
walkthroughs seem to make special mention of them. Alternately, does
any one know of a no-clipping cheat for the game?

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> That fourth door should
> definitely open just like
> the others - there's
> nothing special needed.
> The markings on the
> gears are irrelevant. You
> say you've got all three
> idols, so it must be the
> door with all three glyphs
> on that's stuck. Have you
> applied the v1.2 patch?
> Otherwise, starting over
> from a previous save may
> be your only option,
> perhaps opening the
> stuck door first just to
> make sure.

Thanks for the response! The last door is stuck despite having all
three idols. I do have the 1.2 patch applied.

I gave up after some tme and started the level over. This time I
opened all four doors at once without a problem. It must've been a
glitch. Oh well. It's a minor setback but not too bad of one.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/indy-im.htm

--
"If you meet a vegan it's bad form to give them the famous
four-fingered V sign and say 'Live long and prosper'." - Terry

Replace "minus" with the opposite to reply by e-mail

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

IIRC there *was* a bug there .. I seem to remember downloading a trainer or
something to skip the level when I played it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> Thanks for the response! The last door is stuck despite having all
> three idols. I do have the 1.2 patch applied.
>
> I gave up after some tme and started the level over. This time I
> opened all four doors at once without a problem. It must've been a
> glitch. Oh well. It's a minor setback but not too bad of one.

I'm glad it worked this time. ISTR that this game creates an auto-save at
the start of each level - definitely a Good Thing when show-stopping bugs
are involved!

--
"If you meet a vegan it's bad form to give them the famous
four-fingered V sign and say 'Live long and prosper'." - Terry
Pratchett

Replace "minus" with the opposite to reply by e-mail

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> Thanks for the response! The last door is stuck despite having all
> three idols. I do have the 1.2 patch applied.
>
> I gave up after some tme and started the level over. This time I
> opened all four doors at once without a problem. It must've been a
> glitch. Oh well. It's a minor setback but not too bad of one.

There is a HUGE setback in your future with this game. You'll come to a
level that will cause you the feeling of taking a gun and go to kill the
programmers who made it. I'm sorry for you ;)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> There is a HUGE setback in your future with this game. You'll come to a
> level that will cause you the feeling of taking a gun and go to kill the
> programmers who made it. I'm sorry for you ;)

Oops, stupid of me. I was talking about 'the emperors tomb'.
Ok, don't play this one!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>> There is a HUGE setback in your future with this game. You'll come to a
>> level that will cause you the feeling of taking a gun and go to kill the
>> programmers who made it. I'm sorry for you ;)
>
>Oops, stupid of me. I was talking about 'the emperors tomb'.
>Ok, don't play this one!

Let me guess, a certain underground area where you get chased by a tank
and have to make numerous whip jumps?

Xocyll

Xocyll wrote:
>>Oops, stupid of me. I was talking about 'the emperors tomb'.
>>Ok, don't play this one!

> Let me guess, a certain underground area where you get chased by a tank
> and have to make numerous whip jumps?
>
> Xocyll

:) Of course. So, you had been in hell too!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll wrote:
>>>Oops, stupid of me. I was talking about 'the emperors tomb'.
>>>Ok, don't play this one!
>
>> Let me guess, a certain underground area where you get chased by a tank
>> and have to make numerous whip jumps?
>
>:) Of course. So, you had been in hell too!

Yep, after multiple tries at that (watching the friggen cutscene every
damn time since it came AFTER the save point) I uninstalled the game.

Up to that point it had been moderately fun - only moderately because of
the stupid multiple whip swings that the level designers kept putting
in.

Yeah sure Indy can whip an outcrop, swing, magically unhook his whip
from the outcrop while in mid-air, whip and catch another outcrop to
swing again.

Sorry but my suspension of disbelief failed under that multi-gigaton
load.

It's a pity Indy games have fallen so far since "Fate of Atlantis" and
become nothing more than third-rate Tomb Raider clones.

Xocyll

Xocyll wrote:
> It's a pity Indy games have fallen so far since "Fate of Atlantis" and
> become nothing more than third-rate Tomb Raider clones.

Yeah, but is the gaming community and its gaming-critics partially to
blame for the direction Lucas Arts took with Indy games? I'm not
talking necessarily about market trends influencing them but the
possibility of something more direct. I recall around late 1996 -
perhaps early 1997 - that PC Gamer (USA), and some number of web sites,
complaining of how the designers behind Lara Croft had taken the basis
for Indy and had made a small fortune from it (i.e. the charismatic
hero exploring ancient ruins and uncovering hidden treasures). This
view seemed fairly prevalent. So I wonder if Lucas Arts took notice
and responded with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (and later
on, The Emperor's Tomb). The connection likely isn't that strong as
market trends are stronger influences but it seems likely that they did
respond in part to an immediate and observable demand from the PC games
community. I'd like to see another Fate of Atlantis sometime in the
future too though.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

Xocyll wrote:
> Yep, after multiple tries at that (watching the friggen cutscene every
> damn time since it came AFTER the save point) I uninstalled the game.
>
> Up to that point it had been moderately fun - only moderately because of
> the stupid multiple whip swings that the level designers kept putting
> in.

I didn't pass that level neither (anyone, including the programmers,
*do* pass it??). What I did to get to the end of the game was rename the
level files, luckily each level was a different file, and bypass that
stupid level...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>> It's a pity Indy games have fallen so far since "Fate of Atlantis" and
>> become nothing more than third-rate Tomb Raider clones.
>
>Yeah, but is the gaming community and its gaming-critics partially to
>blame for the direction Lucas Arts took with Indy games? I'm not
>talking necessarily about market trends influencing them but the
>possibility of something more direct. I recall around late 1996 -
>perhaps early 1997 - that PC Gamer (USA), and some number of web sites,
>complaining of how the designers behind Lara Croft had taken the basis
>for Indy and had made a small fortune from it (i.e. the charismatic
>hero exploring ancient ruins and uncovering hidden treasures). This
>view seemed fairly prevalent. So I wonder if Lucas Arts took notice
>and responded with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (and later
>on, The Emperor's Tomb). The connection likely isn't that strong as
>market trends are stronger influences but it seems likely that they did
>respond in part to an immediate and observable demand from the PC games
>community. I'd like to see another Fate of Atlantis sometime in the
>future too though.

From what I recall, Lucas practically abandoned the franchise when it
came to games. Not too surprising since they were getting farther and
farther from the movie releases.

Once Tomb Raider took off as a successful franchise they probably
figured they had it made with an existing well known property (Indy) and
a guaranteed successful game type as proven by TR.

[Trivia point - apparently the original TR character was male and was
little more than an Indy knockoff, but they realized they'd get sued
into oblivion and created Lara Croft instead.]

Pity that the latter two indy games aren't as good as the tomb raider
ones and incorporate the worst aspects of console games (save points,
jumping puzzles).

They had a chance to knock TR off (especially after the second rate
TR:Angel of Darkness game) and failed miserably.

It's a sad state when even TR:AOD is better then IJ:The Emperor's Tomb.

If there's another TR game in the future, i'll probably buy it (assuming
of course they lose the silliness they did in TR:AOD), but i'll be very
wary about buying another Indy game after the IJ:TET experience.

Save points and jumping puzzles aren't my idea of fun, especially idiocy
like the Indy whip jumps.

Xocyll