  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 23, 2005 3:11:36 PM

Along the lines of a similar post -

What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
surprised at how good they were?

I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).

Kendt

More about : hidden gems watch

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:39:02 PM

Thx - Got 'em both :) .

Kendt
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:37:43 PM

On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
<eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Along the lines of a similar post -
>
>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>surprised at how good they were?
>
>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
>Kendt

Motocross Madness 2.
Nice graphics, convincing (if exagerrated) physics, lots of options,
good multiplayer configuration with lots of players.

For a FPS, my pick would be Clive Barkers Undying.
No multiplayer, but creepy graphics and sound effects. This was a
pretty underrated game, IMO.

Tim
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:03:26 PM

Painkiller is a good choice. There's a Gold Edition out with the original
game and the BOOH expansion for $30.

For a Serious Sam knock-off, Will Rock was fun enough for me to play through
twice. I really liked the acid gun. "Brrrrrrr...Pop!" The demo will sell
you.

And for a platformer, Psychonauts is pretty neat. I'm actually playing it
with a USB gamepad. It's a nice break from my usual FPS games.

Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now and
have a demo available:

Star Trek: Elite Force II
TRON 2.0
Armed & Dangerous
Tribes: Vengeance
The Suffering (no demo)
June 23, 2005 7:30:59 PM

> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:35:54 PM

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> What are some of the
> lesser-known games
> people have run into and
> been surprised at how
> good they were?

Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
API it supported for hardware acceleration.

Sanitarium is a very enjoyable adventure through the protagonist's
concious. It's always unsettling to witness people acting as if things
are perfectly normal and fine when there's clear problems and dangers
about..

Gothic 1 & 2 although they seem quite popular around here so they may
not seem all that much of 'hidden gems'. I don't think they sold huge
amounts as each title in the series has had a different publisher,
including the upcoming Gothic 3, for North American markets.

Strife is one of the more innovative titles to use the original Doom
engine. The branching storylines and light RPG elements make it an
attractive adventure but due to the publisher going out of business not
too many copies are available.

Veil of Darkness is a good hybrid of action and adventure released by
SSI in the early 1990s. The atmosphere of the Transylvanian (or was it
Romanian?) town in modern times was superb. The combat wasn't all that
fun but fortunately you could turn down it's difficulty and just focus
on the adventure elements.

Umm.. not a whole lot of others in my collection that would fit the
theme of this thread. Perhaps Realms of the Haunting?

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

Wanna buy my copy of Painkiller Gold?$23 shipped.

"eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com" <eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Along the lines of a similar post -
>
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
> I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
> buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
> watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
> Kendt

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:08:19 AM

x-no-archive: yes

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:

<snip>

buy those 3 right now... they are totally worthy and also
buy chronicles of riddick which was 2004 gotw and is true
masterpiece and unfortunately was very pirated so it only
sold 32,000 a shameful scandal

i like the list "faster_framerates" gave you and also see
if you have the following titles:
.. devastation
.. chaser
.. mace griffin
.. red faction
.. dead man's hand

pc games are in need of more buying habits from pc gamers
buy pc games and support your favorite hobby

also please participate in our regular monthly poll of pc
games bought at the end of the month
thanks

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

dawg wrote:

<snip>

don't sell your pc games!
stick with them! collect them!

and why painkiller which is such a fabulous pc game
don't you want to replay it in a few years time?

Kendt don't listen to him buy NEW! don't settle with less
quality and always demand NEW FACTORY SEALED packaged box
pc games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:35:01 AM

Alai wrote:
> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.

Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
to play it again.

Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
by the controls.

I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
section.
June 24, 2005 11:55:13 AM

On 2005-06-23, mattchu <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:
> eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>> What are some of the
>> lesser-known games
>> people have run into and
>> been surprised at how
>> good they were?
>
> Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
> American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
> tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
> replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
> onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
> API it supported for hardware acceleration.

I never got hooked on the single player, but this game is incredible in
multiplayer. Had many hours of 4-player Incubation with my friends over
the years.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

On 24 Jun 2005 01:35:01 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
>could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
>section.

Scrapland has Messiah inspired elements.
June 24, 2005 1:44:16 PM

On 2005-06-24, Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alai wrote:
>> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.
>
> Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
> bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
> it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
> to play it again.
>
> Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
> The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
> rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
> concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
> ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
> anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
> have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
> by the controls.
>
> I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
> could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
> section.

It was a cool game, a good concept, but I found it impossibly hard! Even
using a god-cheat, I think I still struggled in some sections :D

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
June 24, 2005 1:45:07 PM

On 2005-06-24, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>>> What are some of the
>>> lesser-known games
>>> people have run into and
>>> been surprised at how
>>> good they were?
>>
>>Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
>>American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
>>tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
>>replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
>>onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
>>API it supported for hardware acceleration.
>
> It's a puzzle game on rails. No replay value.

Did you try multiplayer? It's good, either in hot-seat play or over a
LAN.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:16:33 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:

> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Little noticed because released at
the same time as HL2 and at that time very buggy.

> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

IronStorm was ok but in the end nothing which I would call a gem...

> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).

Vietcong was great and much better than every other Vietnam FPS around.

June 24, 2005 2:16:34 PM

On 2005-06-24, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>
>> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>> surprised at how good they were?
>
> Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Little noticed because released at
> the same time as HL2 and at that time very buggy.

And currently bargainous at Play.com, too.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:30:51 PM

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>Painkiller is a good choice. There's a Gold Edition out with the original
>game and the BOOH expansion for $30.
>
>For a Serious Sam knock-off, Will Rock was fun enough for me to play through
>twice. I really liked the acid gun. "Brrrrrrr...Pop!" The demo will sell
>you.
>
>And for a platformer, Psychonauts is pretty neat. I'm actually playing it
>with a USB gamepad. It's a nice break from my usual FPS games.
>
>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now and
>have a demo available:
>
>Star Trek: Elite Force II

Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?

>TRON 2.0
>Armed & Dangerous

Kinda boring with the stealth puzzles.

>Tribes: Vengeance

I've only seen that Starsiege mod for it so I was under the impression
it wasn't out yet O_o

>The Suffering (no demo)
June 24, 2005 8:30:52 PM

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> "faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>
>>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now
>>and
>>have a demo available:
>>
>>Star Trek: Elite Force II
>
> Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?

Nope - FPS
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:27:52 PM

"Tim O" <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Motocross Madness 2.
> Nice graphics, convincing (if exagerrated) physics, lots of options,
> good multiplayer configuration with lots of players.

Takes a bit of practice to even keep up with the AI, much less beat
them.

> For a FPS, my pick would be Clive Barkers Undying.
> No multiplayer, but creepy graphics and sound effects. This was a
> pretty underrated game, IMO.

Yeah, no one figured that FPS can be creepy. :D

For budget shooters... I'm surprised no one has mentioned
"Crime Cities". It's basically a hovercraft sim with LOTS of weapons
and shooting. Of all the "Fifth Element City Wannabes", this one takes
the cake. The story has a bit more of a twist than expected, but it
could
have been more freeform than the set number of missions.

--KC
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:08:20 AM

> Umm.. not a whole lot of others in my collection that would fit the
> theme of this thread. Perhaps Realms of the Haunting?

A classic this was for sure. I doubt it would play on a modern PC?
--
Grumps
Anonymous

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> Along the lines of a similar post -
>
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
> I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
> buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
> watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
> Kendt

I got a copy of IronStorm from my Brother in Law who worked at a company
who had something to do with promotion of the game. Yes, its on rails,
but it was very entertaining, especially for something at the lower end.

Conflict Desert Storm I got as a gift and reallt liked the squad based
play. Haven't tried the sequel - wish i could find it.

James
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:56:48 AM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
>> "faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now
>>>and
>>>have a demo available:
>>>
>>>Star Trek: Elite Force II
>>
>> Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?
>
>Nope - FPS

Oh I'm thinking of Away Team.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:56:49 AM

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> Oh I'm thinking of Away Team.

it' ain't turn-based either. It's basically Commandos does Star Trek.

--KC
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:58:02 AM

Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>On 2005-06-24, Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Alai wrote:
>>> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.
>>
>> Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
>> bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
>> it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
>> to play it again.
>>
>> Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
>> The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
>> rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
>> concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
>> ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
>> anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
>> have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
>> by the controls.
>>
>> I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
>> could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
>> section.
>
>It was a cool game, a good concept, but I found it impossibly hard! Even
>using a god-cheat, I think I still struggled in some sections :D

Yeah it's hard. My brother bought it for me cause it has Fear Factory on
it.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:58:26 AM

Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>On 2005-06-24, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
>>>
>>>Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
>>>American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
>>>tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
>>>replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
>>>onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
>>>API it supported for hardware acceleration.
>>
>> It's a puzzle game on rails. No replay value.
>
>Did you try multiplayer? It's good, either in hot-seat play or over a
>LAN.

Nope.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:52:22 AM

"eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com" <eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Along the lines of a similar post -
>
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
> I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
> buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
> watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
> Kendt

Not sure if these are hidden gems but

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Delta Force Black Hawk Down
Freedom Force
Aliens vs Predator 2
Serious Sam
Pirates
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:27:14 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:38:24 -0700, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>Ricochet. Best "breakout" style game ever. Insanely addictive. One of
>the few shareware games I've tried and then had to buy the full
>version. Here's the demo:

I consider Ricochet to be a bit too plain for my tastes.

I'd recommend Break Quest instead. Instead of being just a breakout clone,
it uses physics to calculate the ball trajectory - making it a completly
different game. Also, the mission scripting makes a wider variety of
levels available - although unlike Ricochet, there is no visible editor.

http://reflexive.net/index.php?CID=0&PAGE=game_detail&A...
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:10:23 AM

On 23 Jun 2005 16:35:54 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Umm.. not a whole lot of others in my collection that would fit the
>theme of this thread. Perhaps Realms of the Haunting?

Oops, forgot that one.... a true classic.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
June 25, 2005 3:43:10 PM

On 2005-06-25, Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:38:24 -0700, Joe62
><jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>
>>Ricochet. Best "breakout" style game ever. Insanely addictive. One of
>>the few shareware games I've tried and then had to buy the full
>>version. Here's the demo:
>
> I consider Ricochet to be a bit too plain for my tastes.
>
> I'd recommend Break Quest instead. Instead of being just a breakout clone,
> it uses physics to calculate the ball trajectory - making it a completly
> different game. Also, the mission scripting makes a wider variety of
> levels available - although unlike Ricochet, there is no visible editor.
>
> http://reflexive.net/index.php?CID=0&PAGE=game_detail&A...

Breakquest is brilliant. I bought it without hesitation, and then went
to download the soundtrack too :)

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:09:56 PM

On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
<eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Along the lines of a similar post -
>
>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>surprised at how good they were?
>
>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
>Kendt

GODS: It came out around 1990. This is still the best 2D platform game
I've ever played. Made by the Bitmap Brothers.

HEAVY GEAR II: Great mech game that was overshadowed by the
MECHWARRIOR franchise.

STAR WARS EPISODE I: RACER: The best action game to come out of the
new trilogy.

BATTLEZONE: Great action/strat game.

RAYMAN 2: The best "where the hell did this come from" game I've ever
played. Best twenty dollars I've ever spent on games.

HEART OF DARKNESS: Kick ass action game. The sequel to OUT OF THIS
WORLD.

HERETIC II: The best 3rd person game I've played.

SUMMONER: Blasphemy but I enjoyed this better than KOTOR.

PLANESCAPE: TORMENT: Championed on Usenet but still a hidden gem(more
like Hope Diamond) IMO.

Two games that I'm still trying to track down(the hidden gems that got
away) :

SEVERENCE: BLADE OF DARKNESS
GIANTS: CITIZEN KABUTO
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:10:11 PM

Has Tron 2.0 been mentioned yet? Great FPS after a classic movie!

June 25, 2005 7:42:22 PM

Kissing Lettuce wrote:
> Duke Nukem 3d -
> I'd love it more if I could
> get it to work properly
> under Windows XP

Try out one of the new
Duke Nukem 3D source
ports for Windows. There's
also a Shadow Warrior port
from the same author at the
site below.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0506251309430.25547@cicum1.cup.uni-muenchen.de...
> Has Tron 2.0 been mentioned yet? Great FPS after a classic movie!
>
> --

I picked up a new copy of Tron 2 for $10 last month. At that price you can't
lose! I'm really enjoying the game (I'm a Tron geek) I have the Tron
re-release that Disney put out a few years ago and to me it's amazing how
well the movie holds up considering it's the grandfather of CGI movies. With
a 5.1 sound track the movie sounds amazing as well. Corny yes, but it's
still got that "cool factor" IMHO. JLC
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 2:28:59 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:09:56 -0400, saint <saint@comcast.com> wrote:

>On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
><eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Along the lines of a similar post -
>>
>>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>>surprised at how good they were?
>>
>>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>>
>>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>>
>>Kendt

[...]
>HEAVY GEAR II: Great mech game that was overshadowed by the
>MECHWARRIOR franchise.

Heavy Gear II is harder to control than mechwarrior. Tha main problem was
that it relied on keyboard movement in addition to mouse look. In
addition, the taretting controls were on the opposite side of the keyboard.

MW3 and MW4:Mercanaries had similar problems, but were not as severly
impacted, as a few changes took care of the most critical issues.
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:11:38 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:28:59 -0400, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>Heavy Gear II is harder to control than mechwarrior. Tha main problem was
>that it relied on keyboard movement in addition to mouse look. In
>addition, the taretting controls were on the opposite side of the keyboard.

I remember struggling like hell to get HG2 working properly with a
joystick. Gave up eventually. Maybe I should try again (there are good
joystick emulators around now so I might be able to make it work OK).
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 9:14:06 PM

On 25 Jun 2005 15:42:22 -0700, "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Try out one of the new
>Duke Nukem 3D source
>ports for Windows.

For a second I though you meant they'd ported Duke Nukem to the Source
engine! Wouldn't that be funny, if someone did that before 3DRealms
got around the finishing Duke Nuken Forever.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:44:02 AM

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?

I have to say: Armed and Dangerous.
I love this game, but it seems that I'm in the minory. I hope for a sequel.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:47:06 AM

>>Armed & Dangerous
>

> Kinda boring with the stealth puzzles.

Excuse me but, what stealth puzzles? I remember it as full action from
beginning to end...
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:55:52 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:44:02 -0300, Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:
>eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>> surprised at how good they were?
>
>I have to say: Armed and Dangerous.
>I love this game, but it seems that I'm in the minory. I hope for a sequel.

The only thing I disliked about A&D was the re-spawning enemies when you
turned your back. Once you 'get' the gameplay it's a fun game :)

Have you tried Giants: Citizen Kabuto by the same team ?

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/&gt;

Joe62 wrote:
> For a second I though
> you meant they'd ported
> Duke Nukem to the
> Source engine! Wouldn't
> that be funny, if someone
> did that before 3DRealms
> got around the finishing
> Duke Nuken Forever.

Ha! Oh, I'm sure there's still plenty of time to do this if any group
felt so inclined as to give it a go. <g>

--
Best Regards, mattchu <is still curious about DN4>
np:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:55:13 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-06-23, mattchu <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>>> What are some of the
>>> lesser-known games
>>> people have run into and
>>> been surprised at how
>>> good they were?
>>
>> Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
>> American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
>> tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
>> replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
>> onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
>> API it supported for hardware acceleration.
>
>I never got hooked on the single player, but this game is incredible in
>multiplayer. Had many hours of 4-player Incubation with my friends over
>the years.

I got into the single player, but got stuck on a mission toward the
end. I still have my savegames of this. Just beware the voice acting
- one of the absolute worst ever! Cheers.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:31:40 AM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:09:56 -0400, saint <saint@comcast.com> wrote:
>
>>On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
>><eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Along the lines of a similar post -
>>>
>>>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>>>surprised at how good they were?
>>>
>>>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>>>
>>>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>>>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>>>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>>>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>>>
>>>Kendt
>>
>[...]
>>
>>HEAVY GEAR II: Great mech game that was overshadowed by the
>>MECHWARRIOR franchise.
>
>Heavy Gear II is harder to control than mechwarrior. Tha main problem was
>that it relied on keyboard movement in addition to mouse look.

You mean like EVERY FPS ON THE PLANET? Yeah that's real tricky.

>In
>addition, the taretting controls were on the opposite side of the keyboard.
>
>MW3 and MW4:Mercanaries had similar problems, but were not as severly
>impacted, as a few changes took care of the most critical issues.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:32:28 AM

Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com> wrote:
>>>Armed & Dangerous
>>

>> Kinda boring with the stealth puzzles.
>
>Excuse me but, what stealth puzzles? I remember it as full action from
>beginning to end...

Oh right that one. I was thinking Hidden and Dangerous.
June 28, 2005 11:58:50 AM

On 2005-06-27, fredman <fbergnospamanio@comnospamcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:55:13 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>>> Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
>>> American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
>>> tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
>>> replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
>>> onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
>>> API it supported for hardware acceleration.
>>
>>I never got hooked on the single player, but this game is incredible in
>>multiplayer. Had many hours of 4-player Incubation with my friends over
>>the years.
>
> I got into the single player, but got stuck on a mission toward the
> end. I still have my savegames of this. Just beware the voice acting
> - one of the absolute worst ever! Cheers.

I quite liked the spot-effect voice *.wavs the marines would say
mid-battle. I can still remember a lot of them..
"It... hurts a bit, sir".

In fact, I remember now, I extracted them all and turned them into a
Worms 2 Soundset!

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:57:33 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:58:50 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-06-27, fredman <fbergnospamanio@comnospamcast.net> wrote:

>>>I never got hooked on the single player, but this game is incredible in
>>>multiplayer. Had many hours of 4-player Incubation with my friends over
>>>the years.
>>
>> I got into the single player, but got stuck on a mission toward the
>> end. I still have my savegames of this. Just beware the voice acting
>> - one of the absolute worst ever! Cheers.
>
>I quite liked the spot-effect voice *.wavs the marines would say
>mid-battle. I can still remember a lot of them..
>"It... hurts a bit, sir".
>
>In fact, I remember now, I extracted them all and turned them into a
>Worms 2 Soundset!

Those sound bits were OK, it was the mission description at the
beginning of each that was woefully bad. Still an OK game, though.
Worth trying out for a few dollars if you like strategy puzzles as
noted. Also seems to run fine in XP, too. Cheers.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:59:36 AM

Alfie [UK] wrote:
>>I have to say: Armed and Dangerous.
>>I love this game, but it seems that I'm in the minory. I hope for a sequel.

> The only thing I disliked about A&D was the re-spawning enemies when you
> turned your back. Once you 'get' the gameplay it's a fun game :)

The respawning wasn't too bad for me, it happened only in few places and
it wasn't big deal. It's a great action 'rambo' game with great humor.
I'm glad that you liked it too.

> Have you tried Giants: Citizen Kabuto by the same team ?

No, I didn't played many games in that time. The previews looked great
but, like Andrew said in this thread, the comments about the save system
didn't help to sell it to me. I didn't know that was made by the same
people, I hope they can keep doing great stuff. Do you know if they have
new games?
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:24:30 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 20:59:36 -0300, Matamanolos <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:
>> Have you tried Giants: Citizen Kabuto by the same team ?
>
>No, I didn't played many games in that time. The previews looked great
>but, like Andrew said in this thread, the comments about the save system
>didn't help to sell it to me. I didn't know that was made by the same
>people, I hope they can keep doing great stuff. Do you know if they have
>new games?

Yup, they formed out of the team that designed MDK, produced Giants,
then A&D, and are finishing off Infected at the mo (PSP only so far
though).

The humour on Giants is very similar to A&D, voice acting with regional
British accents like Scots and Londoner are funny, and some of the
things they say, especially when they get injured... :)

http://www.planetmooncentral.com/

http://www.planetmoon.com/

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/&gt;

Alfie [UK] wrote:
> The humour on Giants is very similar to A&D, voice acting with regional
> British accents like Scots and Londoner are funny, and some of the
> things they say, especially when they get injured... :)
>
> http://www.planetmooncentral.com/
> http://www.planetmoon.com/

Thank you. And now that I noticed that there is a Playstation 2 version
of Giants I surelly give it a try (avoiding possible hardware, directX,
etc issues of the PC version).

Cheers.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:42:33 PM

Quoth The Raven "saint"<saint@comcast.com> in
1119719303.cd19dfd74bbdae90e9d4db29b144617f@teranews
> On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
> <eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Along the lines of a similar post -
>>
>>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>>surprised at how good they were?
>>
>>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a
>>shot.
>>
>>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>>
>>Kendt
>

> GODS: It came out around 1990. This is still the best 2D platform game
> I've ever played. Made by the Bitmap Brothers.

loved it

> HERETIC II: The best 3rd person game I've played.

loved it

> SEVERENCE: BLADE OF DARKNESS

loved it

--
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
!