Best hidden gems to watch out for?

Along the lines of a similar post -

What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
surprised at how good they were?

I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).

Kendt

On 23 Jun 2005 11:11:36 -0700, "eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com"
<eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Along the lines of a similar post -
>
>What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>surprised at how good they were?
>
>I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
>I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
>buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
>watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
>(though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
>Kendt

Motocross Madness 2.
Nice graphics, convincing (if exagerrated) physics, lots of options,
good multiplayer configuration with lots of players.

For a FPS, my pick would be Clive Barkers Undying.
No multiplayer, but creepy graphics and sound effects. This was a
pretty underrated game, IMO.

Tim

Painkiller is a good choice. There's a Gold Edition out with the original
game and the BOOH expansion for $30.

For a Serious Sam knock-off, Will Rock was fun enough for me to play through
twice. I really liked the acid gun. "Brrrrrrr...Pop!" The demo will sell
you.

And for a platformer, Psychonauts is pretty neat. I'm actually playing it
with a USB gamepad. It's a nice break from my usual FPS games.

Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now and
have a demo available:

Star Trek: Elite Force II
TRON 2.0
Armed & Dangerous
Tribes: Vengeance
The Suffering (no demo)

Alai

> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> What are some of the
> lesser-known games
> people have run into and
> been surprised at how
> good they were?

Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
API it supported for hardware acceleration.

Sanitarium is a very enjoyable adventure through the protagonist's
concious. It's always unsettling to witness people acting as if things
are perfectly normal and fine when there's clear problems and dangers
about..

Gothic 1 & 2 although they seem quite popular around here so they may
not seem all that much of 'hidden gems'. I don't think they sold huge
amounts as each title in the series has had a different publisher,
including the upcoming Gothic 3, for North American markets.

Strife is one of the more innovative titles to use the original Doom
engine. The branching storylines and light RPG elements make it an
attractive adventure but due to the publisher going out of business not
too many copies are available.

Veil of Darkness is a good hybrid of action and adventure released by
SSI in the early 1990s. The atmosphere of the Transylvanian (or was it
Romanian?) town in modern times was superb. The combat wasn't all that
fun but fortunately you could turn down it's difficulty and just focus
on the adventure elements.

Umm.. not a whole lot of others in my collection that would fit the
theme of this thread. Perhaps Realms of the Haunting?

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

Wanna buy my copy of Painkiller Gold?$23 shipped.

"eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com" <eventerke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Along the lines of a similar post -
>
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
> I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
> buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
> watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
> Kendt

x-no-archive: yes

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:

<snip>

buy those 3 right now... they are totally worthy and also
buy chronicles of riddick which was 2004 gotw and is true
masterpiece and unfortunately was very pirated so it only
sold 32,000 a shameful scandal

i like the list "faster_framerates" gave you and also see
if you have the following titles:
.. devastation
.. chaser
.. mace griffin
.. red faction
.. dead man's hand

pc games are in need of more buying habits from pc gamers
buy pc games and support your favorite hobby

also please participate in our regular monthly poll of pc
games bought at the end of the month
thanks

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

x-no-archive: yes

dawg wrote:

<snip>

don't sell your pc games!
stick with them! collect them!

and why painkiller which is such a fabulous pc game
don't you want to replay it in a few years time?

Kendt don't listen to him buy NEW! don't settle with less
quality and always demand NEW FACTORY SEALED packaged box
pc games

--

Alai wrote:
> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.

Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
to play it again.

Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
by the controls.

I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
section.

Toby

On 2005-06-23, mattchu <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:
> eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>> What are some of the
>> lesser-known games
>> people have run into and
>> been surprised at how
>> good they were?
>
> Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
> American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
> tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
> replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
> onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
> API it supported for hardware acceleration.

I never got hooked on the single player, but this game is incredible in
multiplayer. Had many hours of 4-player Incubation with my friends over
the years.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Andrew

On 24 Jun 2005 01:35:01 -0700, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
>could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
>section.

Scrapland has Messiah inspired elements.

Toby

On 2005-06-24, Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alai wrote:
>> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.
>
> Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
> bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
> it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
> to play it again.
>
> Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
> The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
> rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
> concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
> ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
> anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
> have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
> by the controls.
>
> I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
> could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
> section.

It was a cool game, a good concept, but I found it impossibly hard! Even
using a god-cheat, I think I still struggled in some sections :D

On 2005-06-24, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote:
> "mattchu" <wintlerpark@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>>> What are some of the
>>> lesser-known games
>>> people have run into and
>>> been surprised at how
>>> good they were?
>>
>>Incubation is a pleasure that failed to sell many units in North
>>American markets. The marriage of then-current 3D graphics and
>>tactical, squad-based strategy hooked me right away. I recently
>>replayed through the original campaign and had a blast. I even held
>>onto a 3dfx Voodoo2 card just for this game since Glide was the only
>>API it supported for hardware acceleration.
>
> It's a puzzle game on rails. No replay value.

Did you try multiplayer? It's good, either in hot-seat play or over a
LAN.

--

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:

> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Little noticed because released at
the same time as HL2 and at that time very buggy.

> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.

IronStorm was ok but in the end nothing which I would call a gem...

> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).

Vietcong was great and much better than every other Vietnam FPS around.

Toby

On 2005-06-24, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
>
>> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
>> surprised at how good they were?
>
> Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Little noticed because released at
> the same time as HL2 and at that time very buggy.

And currently bargainous at Play.com, too.

--

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>Painkiller is a good choice. There's a Gold Edition out with the original
>game and the BOOH expansion for $30.
>
>For a Serious Sam knock-off, Will Rock was fun enough for me to play through
>twice. I really liked the acid gun. "Brrrrrrr...Pop!" The demo will sell
>you.
>
>And for a platformer, Psychonauts is pretty neat. I'm actually playing it
>with a USB gamepad. It's a nice break from my usual FPS games.
>
>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now and
>have a demo available:
>
>Star Trek: Elite Force II

Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?

>TRON 2.0
>Armed & Dangerous

Kinda boring with the stealth puzzles.

>Tribes: Vengeance

I've only seen that Starsiege mod for it so I was under the impression
it wasn't out yet o_O

>The Suffering (no demo)

shawk

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> "faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>
>>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now
>>and
>>have a demo available:
>>
>>Star Trek: Elite Force II
>
> Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?

Nope - FPS

"Tim O" <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Motocross Madness 2.
> Nice graphics, convincing (if exagerrated) physics, lots of options,
> good multiplayer configuration with lots of players.

Takes a bit of practice to even keep up with the AI, much less beat
them.

> For a FPS, my pick would be Clive Barkers Undying.
> No multiplayer, but creepy graphics and sound effects. This was a
> pretty underrated game, IMO.

Yeah, no one figured that FPS can be creepy. :D

For budget shooters... I'm surprised no one has mentioned
"Crime Cities". It's basically a hovercraft sim with LOTS of weapons
and shooting. Of all the "Fifth Element City Wannabes", this one takes
the cake. The story has a bit more of a twist than expected, but it
could
have been more freeform than the set number of missions.

--KC

> Umm.. not a whole lot of others in my collection that would fit the
> theme of this thread. Perhaps Realms of the Haunting?

A classic this was for sure. I doubt it would play on a modern PC?
--
Grumps

eventerke@nspm.h0tmail.com wrote:
> Along the lines of a similar post -
>
> What are some of the lesser-known games people have run into and been
> surprised at how good they were?
>
> I noted IronStorm in the last thread, and for $10 might give it a shot.
>
> I have plenty of games to keep me occupied, so lately I almost never
> buy a game at full price. Just trying to add a few to my budget-bin
> watch list. Painkiller and Vietcong are 2 that I'm watching out for
> (though I might have to spring for the import mature-rated Vietcong).
>
> Kendt

I got a copy of IronStorm from my Brother in Law who worked at a company
who had something to do with promotion of the game. Yes, its on rails,
but it was very entertaining, especially for something at the lower end.

Conflict Desert Storm I got as a gift and reallt liked the squad based
play. Haven't tried the sequel - wish i could find it.

James

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
>> "faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Other "sleepers" I'd recommend that are surely in the bargain bin by now
>>>and
>>>have a demo available:
>>>
>>>Star Trek: Elite Force II
>>
>> Isn't that the turn based tactical one? I thought it was shite?
>
>Nope - FPS

Oh I'm thinking of Away Team.

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> Oh I'm thinking of Away Team.

it' ain't turn-based either. It's basically Commandos does Star Trek.

--KC

Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:
>On 2005-06-24, Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Alai wrote:
>>> Deus Ex. I was amazed by it.
>>
>> Hardly a "hidden" gem, but yes, fantastic game, although I'm a bit
>> bored of it now. I tried to sell it and no one wanted it, so I guess
>> it'll gather dust for a few years and maybe then I'll be curious enough
>> to play it again.
>>
>> Another game I really enjoyed, although it isn't perfect, is Messiah.
>> The controls are a bit awkward (possession is a skill to be learnt,
>> rather than something you just do) and the visuals a bit samey, but the
>> concept is excellent (you're a puny baby-like angel, with no fighting
>> ability and limited flying. To get around, your best bet is to possess
>> anyone nearby and you then control them, with whatever abilities they
>> have - and whatever enemies they have). A really fun game, marred only
>> by the controls.
>>
>> I think it's well overdue for a remake. Imagine playing HL where you
>> could swicth between aliens, marines and scientists to get through each
>> section.
>
>It was a cool game, a good concept, but I found it impossibly hard! Even
>using a god-cheat, I think I still struggled in some sections :D

Yeah it's hard. My brother bought it for me cause it has Fear Factory on
it.