Sign in with
Your question

Hercules GTXP cheap construction?

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2002 2:39:21 AM

To start, I do have to commend Hercules for making a sound card that outputs great sound. However, I just bought a great set of headphones from BOSE, have been using them on the soundcard box for about 3 months, and now the headphone jack on the box isn't connecting well with the phones anymore. In fact, I can only hear out of the left side of my phones, and it seems a little scratchy, as if it is completely losing connection. Since I'd like to use my great sounding and expensive headphones, I have no option but to send in my Herc box and hope I don't have to pay much for a replacement.Anyone else have any problems with Hercules construction?
August 29, 2002 3:12:06 AM

I haven't tried it, but I do know how to fix such problems myself.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 29, 2002 5:40:02 AM

Well Crashman, I'd be very interested in how you'd fix it. I'd rather not send in the box and be without a soundcard for 2 months. Please share your knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.
Related resources
August 29, 2002 11:59:35 AM

When I was a kid I used to take the cover of walkmans and insert a paper clip in a hole in the stereo connector that was behind one of the contacts and bend them back. Now that I'm older I know how to solder in a new connector.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
August 29, 2002 2:43:18 PM

Personally i'd quit using the headphone jack...in high quality headphones you'll get better sound from the front stereo jack on the back of the box.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
August 29, 2002 11:07:33 PM

To CrashMan and williamc:

I've read a number of posts in this forum and you both seem to know your stuff. So this question is to you both, if you wish to answer.

The other problem with the my GTXP is that I had 2 speakers hooked up to the stereo outs on the back of the box, and recently the sound has almost completely cut out. I say alomst, because if I turn the speaker volume to the max, I can barely hear whatever music or sound I'm trying to play. Is there an amp or something in the box that may have burned out? What could be the explanation for this?

And williamc, I liked your idea about plugging the headphone in the stereo out on the back of the box. Until I realized that I can't even get sound out of my speakers, I attempted to plug in the headphones in the main/front stereo out on the back of the box anyways from wishful thinking, but I get the same problem. When the headphone volume is up to it's max, the sound is barely audible.

Do you guys know what may have happened to my box? Maybe it's time for me to send it in. If nothing else, thanks for reading this.
September 6, 2002 2:32:02 PM

I'd say something shorted out....get it warranty replaced by Herculees. Never expereienced anything like that with my GTXP, maybe something came loose=( that has to suck, sorry it took me so long to reply.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
!