Examples of recordings that aren't overcomressed?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 8, 2004 6:24:08 PM

A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is to
keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it that
they hear that they find objectionable?

Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
aren't overcompressed?
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:24:09 PM

Doc <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
>overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is to
>keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it that
>they hear that they find objectionable?

The extreme limiting just tends to make things sound distorted. The overall
sound even of the vocals becomes unnatural.

That is secondary to the compression, which really just eliminates all of the
musical dynamics. There aren't soft parts and loud parts, it's all just
slammed balls to the wall with everything going on at once.

>Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
>aren't overcompressed?

What is "modern?" I would suggest looking at any of the classic rock reissues
from JVC's XRCD series, or from Digital Compact Classics, for some examples of
good clean mastering. Compare, for example, Steve Miller's _The Joker_ on
XRDC with the horribly overcompressed and mangled reissue done by his label.
--scott
September 8, 2004 8:29:38 PM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cCE%c.11425$Wv5.8096@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is to
> keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it that
> they hear that they find objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
> aren't overcompressed?

http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule_id=11/pmdmode=full...
September 8, 2004 9:55:35 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:47:56 +0200, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Doc <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>>Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
>>feel aren't overcompressed?
>
> What is "modern?" I would suggest looking at any of the classic rock
> reissues from JVC's XRCD series,

If I look at the site http://www.xrcd.com/tech/xrcd24a_e.html I read:
"The entire operation is controlled using a K2 Rubidium Clock that is
over 10,000 times more accurate than conventional crystal clocks."
I think "Did we need a 10,000 times more accurate clock?"

I read nothing about leaving compression out of the production process.
The problem is not a technical one, compression is a problem caused by
humans using the wrong settings.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

Chel van Gennip <chel@vangennip.nl> wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:47:56 +0200, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> Doc <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>>>Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
>>>feel aren't overcompressed?
>>
>> What is "modern?" I would suggest looking at any of the classic rock
>> reissues from JVC's XRCD series,
>
>If I look at the site http://www.xrcd.com/tech/xrcd24a_e.html I read:
> "The entire operation is controlled using a K2 Rubidium Clock that is
> over 10,000 times more accurate than conventional crystal clocks."
>I think "Did we need a 10,000 times more accurate clock?"

I dunno. But I do know that the error rates on the XRCD pressings are
an order of magnitude lower than I see on conventional pressings.

>I read nothing about leaving compression out of the production process.
>The problem is not a technical one, compression is a problem caused by
>humans using the wrong settings.

In addition to the stuff the XRCD guys are bragging about on the web site,
they also have sane and simple mastering jobs. And there is a lot of effort
spent making the release sound like the master, which is something that most
labels go out of their way to avoid doing. I think the sane mastering has
more to do with the improved sound quality than any of the fancy clocking.
--scott
September 8, 2004 11:04:21 PM

In article <cCE%c.11425$Wv5.8096@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is to
> keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it that
> they hear that they find objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
> aren't overcompressed?

I have liked to listen to some of the Chesky recordings, not sure it's
only the lack over compressing that stands out though, a recorded drum
somehow sounds as loud as it would sound in a big room not as loud as to
fill some specs up, might be correct placing of mic for once ... Just
one example. (My playback gear cannot really playback some stuff well,
like the recorded thunder on the CheskyShowFunny record ;)

To me microdynamics are fun, it makes you listen, as opposed to most
recordings deprived of the microdynamics that just pushes the music in
your earcanals - different approach (no this has nothing to do with
styles of music IMO)

In short: 1 example, Chesky recording of Rebecca Pigeon?
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:21:40 AM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that
> compression/limiting is to keep the music from being too "spiky".
> Can anyone point out what is it that they hear that they find
> objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
> feel aren't overcompressed?

Everthing I make.
September 9, 2004 12:26:59 AM

> Doc <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

> >Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
feel
> >aren't overcompressed?
>
> What is "modern?"

That's a good question. I guess I was thinking of either high fidelity
recordings made at any time that the technology has been available to "over
compress" but wasn't done, or just an example of a recording that's free of
the characteristics that are considered to be undesireable.

Isn't part of the reason compression gets used to anticipate the environment
where the music is likely to be heard - car, party, club etc. where the
music needs to punch through the ambient room noise?
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:35:25 AM

A while back, there was a running "honor roll" on the Mastering Webboard.
It was compiled by Bob Katz of Digital Domain and the list is posted on his
website.

http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule_id=11/pmdmode=full...

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message ...
> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is
> keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it
that
> they hear that they find objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
> aren't overcompressed?

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:36:04 AM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in

> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting
> is to keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what
> is it that they hear that they find objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
> feel aren't overcompressed?

I could be wrong but most, if not all of the recordings produced by Telarc
use no compression, eq, etc.

September 9, 2004 7:40:56 AM

"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cCE%c.11425$Wv5.8096@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting is to
> keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what is it that
> they hear that they find objectionable?
>
> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you feel
> aren't overcompressed?

I shop for what I like to call "non-digitally remastered" CDs on
Half.com and in used CD stores. The sound quality of these varies
widely, but I almost always find the earlier transfers far more
pleasant to listen to. The newly remastered "All Things Must Pass"
(color cover) sounds nothing short of terrible to me. The original
b/w cover CD release is quite nice. YMMV.

Jeff
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 1:48:17 PM

Rich.Andrews <spmaway@ylhoo.com> wrote:
>"Doc" <docsavage20@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>> A sentiment I frequently see voiced here is that "pop music is
>> overcompressed". I was under the impression that compression/limiting
>> is to keep the music from being too "spiky". Can anyone point out what
>> is it that they hear that they find objectionable?
>>
>> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
>> feel aren't overcompressed?
>
>I could be wrong but most, if not all of the recordings produced by Telarc
>use no compression, eq, etc.

Telarc is still fairly purist by modern standards, but they are far less
purist than they were twenty years ago. Their classical recordings have
been increasingly closely-miked.
--scott

September 9, 2004 7:55:24 PM

> Telarc is still fairly purist by modern standards, but they are far less
> purist than they were twenty years ago. Their classical recordings have
> been increasingly closely-miked.

Their classical artists have become increasingly more mainstream and hence
in control of how the recording is going to be done.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
September 9, 2004 10:51:32 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:24:08 +0200, Doc wrote:

> Are there any examples you can point to of modern recordings that you
> feel aren't overcompressed?

The recordings on http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/piano.html are not
overcompressed. BTW I just noticed that the Rachmaninov on this page were
used in a Deutsche Welle documentery about the piano builders Bechstein.

--
!