Home studio help

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 8, 2004 8:00:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
with Cubase audio recordings.

Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I am
most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for £70
less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear over
the past week or 3.

A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good reviews
is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK distributors.
That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)

So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to be
a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my £200
budget for the amp?

What else would you recommend?

Thanks
Eddie

--
-----
Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.

More about : home studio

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 8:00:28 PM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:00:27 +0100, Eddie <NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:
> I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
> with Cubase audio recordings.

Price Point?

What you want are "nearfield monitors." You can get "decent" starting
at around $500/pr--not sure about UK prices.

Avoid "stereo", "Hi Fi" or "Computer" and ESPECIALLY "Audiophile"
speakers. They are generally designed to "sound good" in a wide variety
of listening environments.

"Nearfield monitors," OTOH, are designed to "get it right" For
recording, you want to "get it right"--warts and all, so you can address
the warts.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:52:21 AM

Eddie wrote:
> I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
> with Cubase audio recordings.
>
> Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I am
> most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for £70
> less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear over
> the past week or 3.
>
> A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good reviews
> is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
> press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
> Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK distributors.
> That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
>
> So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to be
> a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my £200
> budget for the amp?
>
> What else would you recommend?

Active monitors or power amp??
CA will do the job but how it will reflect in your mixes is anyones
guess,you'll have to "learn" the amp/speakers as opposed to having a
true reflection of the sound to work with.
http://tinyurl.com/6j2af
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/page/shop/browse/categ...
etc.
September 9, 2004 12:19:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

IMHO any mid-price range hifi amp will do. Are acive speakers an option?

"Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
>with Cubase audio recordings.
>
> Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I
> am most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for
> £70 less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff
> gear over the past week or 3.
>
> A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good reviews
> is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
> press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
> Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK distributors.
> That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
>
> So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to
> be a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my
> £200 budget for the amp?
>
> What else would you recommend?
>
> Thanks
> Eddie
>
> --
> -----
> Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
> That way when you criticise them you're a mile away and you have their
> shoes.
> -----

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:48:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In message <2q8l5fFsi5k7U1@uni-berlin.de>, Eddie <NOSPAM@virgin.net>
writes
>So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going
>to be a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in
>mind my £200 budget for the amp?

CA make hi-fi. Ideally you need a power amp and studio monitors, or
(better still) a pair of active monitors.

--
Anthony Chapman
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
> with Cubase audio recordings.
>
> Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I
> am most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for
> £70 less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff
> gear over the past week or 3.
>
> A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good reviews
> is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
> press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
> Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK distributors.
> That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
>
> So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to
> be a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my
> £200 budget for the amp?
>
> What else would you recommend?

will it be neutral enough? A hi-fi amp could well colour the sound, to make
it sound warmer or more exciting...

I think you would be better off looking at a studio equipment retailer, like
digital village, or millennium music, or studio spares.

squig ¤
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:26:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:00:27 +0100, "Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:

>Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I am
>most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for £70
>less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear over
>the past week or 3.

This seems a very expensive unit for what it offers.

September 9, 2004 3:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:00:27 +0100, "Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:

>I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
>with Cubase audio recordings.
>
>Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I am
>most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for £70
>less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear over
>the past week or 3.
>
>A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good reviews
>is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
>press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
>Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK distributors.
>That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
>
>So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to be
>a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my £200
>budget for the amp?
>
>What else would you recommend?
>
>Thanks
>Eddie

Any flat response stereo amp will do .. an economical Sony or several
others come to mind .. and what are called "near field" monitor
speakers. They are bookshelf sized, flat response monitors as used in
recording studios at the console (I have a very old pair of Technics
that are great!) The Cambridge/Soundblaster stuff is fine for your
surround sound in your moderate sized media room, but they DO color
the sound and there is no way to equalize the system to a flat
response.
September 9, 2004 8:04:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Active speakers are not an option at this stage. I have a pair of TDL
Nucleus 2s that sound ok to my untrained ear. I am sure I can do much better
BUT having just spent a bunch on my PC, laptop & audio interface I am not
looking to spend big time again for a little while.

Thanks
Eddie

"Robert Schulze Lutum" <Robert_Schulze_Lutum@t-online.de> wrote in message
> IMHO any mid-price range hifi amp will do. Are acive speakers an option?
>

> "Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
>>with Cubase audio recordings.
>>
>> Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I
>> am most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for
>> £70 less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff
>> gear over the past week or 3.
>>
>> A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good
>> reviews is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of
>> the hifi press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is
>> "Richer Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK
>> distributors. That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
>>
>> So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to
>> be a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my
>> £200 budget for the amp?
>>
>> What else would you recommend?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Eddie
>>
>> --
>> -----
>> Before you criticise someone you should walk a mile in their shoes.
>> That way when you criticise them you're a mile away and you have their
>> shoes.
>> -----

September 9, 2004 8:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Laurence

Can you elaborate please? Still within the approval zone so if there is
something I can do better on for no more than £200 then I still have the
option.

Thanks
Eddie

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:00:27 +0100, "Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>>Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment I
>>am
>>most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for £70
>>less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear
>>over
>>the past week or 3.
>
> This seems a very expensive unit for what it offers.
>
> CubaseFAQ www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm
> "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 10:14:29 PM

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 16:06:29 +0100, "Eddie" <NOSPAM@virgin.net> wrote:

>Hi Laurence
>
>Can you elaborate please? Still within the approval zone so if there is
>something I can do better on for no more than £200 then I still have the
>option.

Have a look at
http://www.dv247.com/icat/24

I've not used those Alesis and Samsom models. But I'll wager they're
no worse than the stuff from Richer Sounds.

If I was shopping for a workhorse amp I'd be looking in the secondhand
market for an older Rotel, NAD or similar. There's plenty on ebay,
and doubtless in your local second-hand hi-fi shop.

October 17, 2004 4:24:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,alt.steinberg.cubase,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

You will achive great results using active studio monitors. (Yamaha, Alesis,
Tannoy..)
Try before making decision.
Regards
Yves

"EL_ Dude" <El_Dude@example.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
chnuul$fl7$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Eddie wrote:
> > I am looking to buy an amp to use with my PC for hearing what I am doing
> > with Cubase audio recordings.
> >
> > Can anybody recommend me a separates amp from experience? At the moment
I am
> > most likely to go for a Cambridge Audio Azure 640A which I can get for
£70
> > less than normal price as Richer Sounds have sold me a lot of duff gear
over
> > the past week or 3.
> >
> > A guy at Audio T tells me the only reason Cambridge Audio get good
reviews
> > is cos Richer Sounds puts so much advertising money the way of the hifi
> > press that they daren't give CA bad reviews - apparently CA is "Richer
> > Sounds own brand" - I thought RS were just the exclusive UK
distributors.
> > That logic would make Cubase the own brand of Arbiter! ;-)
> >
> > So is CA any good? Is it sour grapes I hear from Audio T? Is CA going to
be
> > a good sounding & reliable bet for my home studio - bearing in mind my
£200
> > budget for the amp?
> >
> > What else would you recommend?
>
> Active monitors or power amp??
> CA will do the job but how it will reflect in your mixes is anyones
> guess,you'll have to "learn" the amp/speakers as opposed to having a
> true reflection of the sound to work with.
> http://tinyurl.com/6j2af

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/page/shop/browse/categ...
4f065525ed8c819e3b