Is the new iMac G5 a good studio computer?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 8, 2004 12:17:19 PM

I've been dabbling in home recording of scores for low-budget silent
film DVD releases. So far I've been dealing with the noise of my tower
Mac G4's fan by putting the musicians at the other end of the room and
using gate filters on every track to cut background noise during
silences. I thought about getting a quiet box for the CPU, but those
cost a third the price of a newer, faster, quieter computer.

I'd been considering the new liquid-cooled dual G5 towers, but the
newly announced iMac G5 boasts about its quiet fans, and both
processor speed and bus speed are four to six times faster than my
current G4. I've got a Firewire 828mkII so I shouldn't need a slot to
add an audio card. And the all-in-one iMac will be much more portable
than the tower for carrying around to set-up in rooms with better
acoustics and better pianos than my home office. It looks to be better
as a computer than the laptops, since those still have G4 processors.

Is there a down side to the G5 iMac that I'm not seeing? (And no, I'm
not trying to start a flame war about Mac/Windows, switching would
cost over $8k in software alone...)

Rodney Sauer
Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 9:12:26 PM

Liquid-cooled G5 tower is a great computer and I have one in my studio
(dual 2Gigahertz). It is quieter than the G4 tower that it replaced.

However, it does have a variable fan ... it is usually pretty quiet
but it can get loud, as it spins faster the warmer it gets.

If it gets warm in your room you will probably want to put it in an
equipment closet or a separate room.

Only bummer I can think of is that one of the firewire ports is on the
front of the tower.

i use Protools and the G4 definitely feels sluggish compared to the G5
... would be hard to go back

--
Jordan
Anonymous

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:12:26 -0400, Jordan Leff wrote
(in article <e8048170.0409081612.d2108a7@posting.google.com>):

> Liquid-cooled G5 tower is a great computer and I have one in my studio
> (dual 2Gigahertz). It is quieter than the G4 tower that it replaced.
>
> However, it does have a variable fan ... it is usually pretty quiet
> but it can get loud, as it spins faster the warmer it gets.
>
> If it gets warm in your room you will probably want to put it in an
> equipment closet or a separate room.
>
> Only bummer I can think of is that one of the firewire ports is on the
> front of the tower.
>
> i use Protools and the G4 definitely feels sluggish compared to the G5
> .. would be hard to go back
>
> --
> Jordan

Dude,

The G5 imac. I don't think it's what you're describing.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
September 9, 2004 5:18:28 AM

Rodney Sauer wrote:

> Is there a down side to the G5 iMac that I'm not seeing? (And no, I'm
> not trying to start a flame war about Mac/Windows, switching would
> cost over $8k in software alone...)

None that are apparent right now. It _really_ got my
attention. It may not be a portable laptop but it is
eminently transportable.

Anybody know if it can be powered by DC?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 9:43:26 AM

<< Ty Ford tyreeford@comcast.net >
<< The G5 imac. I don't think it's what you're describing >>

He might have a Digi 002 PT system- firewire, not PCI. Limited I/O and all
RTAS plugs but hey, it's Protools...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
September 9, 2004 12:01:57 PM

Bob Cain <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote in message news:<chp2u90kl1@enews3.newsguy.com>...
> Rodney Sauer wrote:
>

> > Is there a down side to the G5 iMac that I'm not seeing? (And no, I'm
> > not trying to start a flame war about Mac/Windows, switching would
> > cost over $8k in software alone...)
>
> None that are apparent right now. It _really_ got my
> attention. It may not be a portable laptop but it is
> eminently transportable.
>
> Anybody know if it can be powered by DC?

It doesn't have a battery, if that's what you mean. I happen to have
an electric boat battery and a power inverter, which would presumably
power an iMac, but a grounded extension cord is a LOT lighter... if
portability were the main factor I'd get a laptop. But 98% of the time
it would be sitting on my desk, and the more powerful processor is
appealling. And presumably someone will make a carrying case for it.

--Rodney
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 6:57:48 PM

Oh, gotcha, my bad ... I didn't realize there even WAS an Imac G5 ...

but I just went to Apple's website ... and behold there is the new
Imac G5. Just called my friend at the local Mac shop here and he says
they are about 4-5 weeks from shipping.

--
Jordan

> Dude,
>
> The G5 imac. I don't think it's what you're describing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty Ford
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:01:53 PM

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:57:48 -0400, Jordan Leff wrote
(in article <e8048170.0409091357.51a5b98a@posting.google.com>):

> Oh, gotcha, my bad ... I didn't realize there even WAS an Imac G5 ...
>
> but I just went to Apple's website ... and behold there is the new
> Imac G5. Just called my friend at the local Mac shop here and he says
> they are about 4-5 weeks from shipping.
>
> --
> Jordan

I just got an apple email about it this week. The pictures I've seen don't
show a base. So where's the superdrive and the guts?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 11:26:53 PM

The guts of the IMac G5 are all behind the screen. The optical drive
is mounted vertically
and ejects out the side. All the connectors are on the back. There
are no electronics in the stand. The Apple people told me that there
were no fans in it at all.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 4:19:01 AM

Ty Ford wrote:

> Jordan Leff wrote:

> > Oh, gotcha, my bad ... I didn't realize there even WAS an Imac G5 ...

> > but I just went to Apple's website ... and behold there is the new
> > Imac G5. Just called my friend at the local Mac shop here and he says
> > they are about 4-5 weeks from shipping.

> I just got an apple email about it this week. The pictures I've seen don't
> show a base. So where's the superdrive and the guts?

It's built kind of like a fat laptop turned up on its edge; all the guts
are in the little bit of case that also presents the monitor screen.

Pics can be had at the Apple sites.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <0dednXNEmph8fd3cRVn-hQ@comcast.com>,
Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:57:48 -0400, Jordan Leff wrote
> (in article <e8048170.0409091357.51a5b98a@posting.google.com>):
>
> > Oh, gotcha, my bad ... I didn't realize there even WAS an Imac G5 ...
> I just got an apple email about it this week. The pictures I've seen don't
> show a base. So where's the superdrive and the guts?

<http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.
There is only a power cord.

HTH

Marc

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)

Marc Heusser wrote:

> <http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
> the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
> Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.
> There is only a power cord.

Yep, no external power supply to mess with. Looks interesting.

--
ha
Anonymous

Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
wrote:

> <http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
> the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
> Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.

....and power supply. Yep. Amazing!

That computer shows how much Apple is cuting edge compared to the
average Wintel box.

PC's biggest design change was going from horizontal desktops to
vertical towers, back in the early 90s...

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:23:50 AM

Marc Heusser wrote:

> <http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
> the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
> Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.
> There is only a power cord.

Looks to be from an external adaptor. Hope it's DC.

Since I'm mostly invested in PC software for everything I do
after recording, which I do remotely with an iBook, I really
look forward to the PC equivlent of this in terms of form
factor and connectivity. I really don't need the
ultraminiaturization required for a laptop and the premium
cost associated with that. This form factor is portable enough.

If and when anybody sees a PC version, please shout.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:23:51 AM

hank alrich wrote:

> Marc Heusser wrote:
>

>><http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
>>the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
>>Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.
>>There is only a power cord.
>

> Yep, no external power supply to mess with. Looks interesting.

You think it's mains coming in to it?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:32:08 AM

Philip Perkins <spamiser@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Apple people told me that there
> were no fans in it at all.
>
> Philip Perkins

It have 3 fans, controled dynamically at the OS level. They surely spin
at low speed most of the time...

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:30:17 AM

Bob Cain wrote:
> Since I'm mostly invested in PC software for everything I do after
> recording, which I do remotely with an iBook, I really look forward to
> the PC equivlent of this in terms of form factor and connectivity. I
> really don't need the ultraminiaturization required for a laptop and the
> premium cost associated with that. This form factor is portable enough.
>
> If and when anybody sees a PC version, please shout.

Gateway makes a series called the Profile 5 which is not quite as small,
but in practice probably takes the same amount of space on the desk
(since the iMac G5 requires a stand and sits at an angle):

http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...

Also, some company I hadn't heard of called MPC makes a thing called
the ClientPro All-in-One. It looks even more like an iMac G5:

http://www.buympc.com/smallbiz/store/desktops/product_d...

And ENlight, who normally makes cases, makes what looks like either a
barebones PC or a combination case and monitor that is a similar
form factor:

http://us.enlightcorp.com/products/lcd_pc/detel.php?kin...

I don't know if any of them have the cool factor that the iMac G5 does,
but they are probably pretty close to being as practical.

- Logan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:10:20 PM

<< That computer shows how much Apple is cuting edge compared to the
average Wintel box.

PC's biggest design change was going from horizontal desktops to
vertical towers, back in the early 90s... >>

I'd say that computer demonstrates Apple's commitment to design, but nothing
else. I'm an apple user- I have three currently- but I'm constantly annoyed by
the omission of features for design reasons- form over fnction if you will. No
CDR tray eject button on the front of the towers?... 3 PCI slots?... Lame
little speakers (compared to the Dell my brother has) in the Powerbooks...
remember the fanless G4 Cube which cooked itself to death in the name of style?

I like the way my pro tools systems run on my macs, but I sure wish Steve Jobs
would listen to the complaints of his customers and stop acting as though all
we care about is how the box looks.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:18:54 PM

In article <1gjuvae.b31pxj1b2g6ukN%walkinay@thegrid.net>,
walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich) wrote:

> It's built kind of like a fat laptop turned up on its edge; all the guts
> are in the little bit of case that also presents the monitor screen.
>
> Pics can be had at the Apple sites.

Imagine this thing rack mounted in one of those flip-up mixer racks. It
just would need an external rack DVD/CD drive and a keyboard drawer.
Could be cool.
--
your know the routine - remove nyetspam ktone@nyetspamchitown.com
Rhythm City - Chicago's Premier Rhythm and Blues - http://www.rhythm-city.com

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:26:53 -0400, Philip Perkins wrote
(in article <3677d4b3.0409091826.48e151b0@posting.google.com>):

> The guts of the IMac G5 are all behind the screen. The optical drive
> is mounted vertically
> and ejects out the side. All the connectors are on the back. There
> are no electronics in the stand. The Apple people told me that there
> were no fans in it at all.
>
> Philip Perkins

Hmm, internal power supply. How's that going to work for S/N if it's used
for audio? Apple already took a hit for how poorly they implemented the
power supply in the G5 tower (one of which I own).

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:41:33 PM

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:19:31 -0400, tyreeford@comcast.net suggested:
:
:> The guts of the IMac G5 are all behind the screen. The optical drive
:> is mounted vertically
:> and ejects out the side. All the connectors are on the back. There
:> are no electronics in the stand. The Apple people told me that there
:> were no fans in it at all.
:>
:> Philip Perkins
:
: Hmm, internal power supply. How's that going to work for S/N if it's used
: for audio? Apple already took a hit for how poorly they implemented the
: power supply in the G5 tower (one of which I own).

Would that affect anything other than the built-in audio device? I
wouldn't exactly call that pro-quality, anyway.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Anonymous

EganMedia wrote:

> remember the fanless G4 Cube which cooked itself to death in the name of
> style?

Been running two of those for a goodly while now and while one did go
down under warranty, no problems since Apple fixed it. They are
mercifully quiet.

--
ha
Anonymous

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hmm, internal power supply. How's that going to work for S/N if it's used
> for audio? Apple already took a hit for how poorly they implemented the
> power supply in the G5 tower (one of which I own).

Yeah, they could blow it there, but if a Lynx card can deliver what it
does, Apple, at least in theory <g>, could get the power circuitry under
control vis a vis audio.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:41:33 -0400, andrewunix wrote
(in article <slrnck47t9.r7l.agreenbu@nyx3.nyx.net>):

> Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:19:31 -0400, tyreeford@comcast.net suggested:
>> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 22:26:53 -0400, Philip Perkins wrote
>> (in article <3677d4b3.0409091826.48e151b0@posting.google.com>):
>>
>>> The guts of the IMac G5 are all behind the screen. The optical drive
>>> is mounted vertically
>>> and ejects out the side. All the connectors are on the back. There
>>> are no electronics in the stand. The Apple people told me that there
>>> were no fans in it at all.
>>>
>>> Philip Perkins
>>
>> Hmm, internal power supply. How's that going to work for S/N if it's used
>> for audio? Apple already took a hit for how poorly they implemented the
>> power supply in the G5 tower (one of which I own).
>
> Would that affect anything other than the built-in audio device? I
> wouldn't exactly call that pro-quality, anyway.

Well on the G5 tower, the power supply I first got was so noisy that it was
tossing computer hash down either the power line or Firewire cable (or both)
to the digi 002 so much that it was coming out of the 002 analog outputs.

It's still spewing out of the Mac unbalanced outs and a little from the 002
unbalanced outs, but the new power supply is a lot better.

Mine was not an early G5, I bought it at the end of last year.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:26:37 PM

I haven't had any problems with noise but when I first bought the G5,
it wouldn't boot up after the first few days. I brought it to the
Apple store, and it turned out to be the power supply. They replaced
and it has been working super since then.

Perhaps Apple shipped out a bunch of G5's with bad power supplies?

--
Jordan

> Well on the G5 tower, the power supply I first got was so noisy that it was
> tossing computer hash down either the power line or Firewire cable (or both)
> to the digi 002 so much that it was coming out of the 002 analog outputs.
>
> It's still spewing out of the Mac unbalanced outs and a little from the 002
> unbalanced outs, but the new power supply is a lot better.
>
> Mine was not an early G5, I bought it at the end of last year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty Ford
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 10:36:43 AM

Eric Desrochers wrote:

> Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
> wrote:
>

>><http://www.apple.com/imac&gt;
>>the whole computer is behind the screen, 2 inches deep total - including
>>Superdrive, loudspeakers etc.
>

> ...and power supply. Yep. Amazing!
>
> That computer shows how much Apple is cuting edge compared to the
> average Wintel box.
>
> PC's biggest design change was going from horizontal desktops to
> vertical towers, back in the early 90s...

Nothing particularly particular about that. The old GRiD
computers were like that.

The copmpany sank like a stone...

--
Les Cargill
Anonymous

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:18:28 -0400, tyreeford@comcast.net suggested:
: On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:41:33 -0400, andrewunix wrote
: (in article <slrnck47t9.r7l.agreenbu@nyx3.nyx.net>):
:>
:> Would that affect anything other than the built-in audio device? I
:> wouldn't exactly call that pro-quality, anyway.
:>
:>
:
: Well on the G5 tower, the power supply I first got was so noisy that it was
: tossing computer hash down either the power line or Firewire cable (or both)
: to the digi 002 so much that it was coming out of the 002 analog outputs.
:
: It's still spewing out of the Mac unbalanced outs and a little from the 002
: unbalanced outs, but the new power supply is a lot better.

Wow, that's unfortunate. I suspect that it would do that even if it was
external, though.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:34:55 AM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...

I just looked and got this message:

Information for this product is temporarily unavailable.

For information on products and services, please visit Gateway.com, or
call 800-etc.

Perhaps that's temporary.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 6:55:02 AM

Les Cargill <lcargill@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Nothing particularly particular about that.

About what? The Apple design?

Please feel free to post references to a current desktop PC design that
enclose similar power and features in an enclosure of similar volume
than the iMac G5 and at the same price point.

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 8:52:15 AM

Don Cooper wrote:

> Logan Shaw wrote:
>

>>http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
>

> I just looked and got this message:
>
> Information for this product is temporarily unavailable.

I used to work for a company that collected data from these very sites
(Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. -- all the major PC manufacturers), and we had
to grab web pages from them on a regular basis. From that experience,
let me tell you one thing: anything's possible with a PC manufacturer's
web site! They had $10,000 server systems on for $100 sometimes (just
for an hour or two), or they'd have things like a CD-ROM drive or
printer or other accessory with a negative price. All kinds of crazy
things.

Aaaanyway, perhaps this link will work better:

http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...

I don't think it's exactly the same machine, but it's pretty similar.

By the way, if that link breaks too, then try just going to
http://www.gateway.com/ and typing "profile 5" into the search field,
which is how I got there in the first place.

- Logan
September 13, 2004 11:35:40 AM

http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
rf5xlc&seg=hm

If you're brave, click the enlarged view - God, that thing is a
beastie!!

Time for Gateway to spend some of that shrinking cash reserve on some R
& D before it's too late. Lucky for them, Apple just did it for them.

Compare the beastie to this:

http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html

I do bet that in a couple years all desktop computers will look like
the new iMac. Which begs the question: what can Apple do then??

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 12:02:43 PM

david wrote:

> http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
> rf5xlc&seg=hm
>

> If you're brave, click the enlarged view - God, that thing is a
> beastie!!
>
> Time for Gateway to spend some of that shrinking cash reserve on some R
> & D before it's too late.

I'm not saying I think the Gateway thing looks pretty. It looks almost
like a plastic lighted vanity mirror for the bathroom counter with
drawers for makeup. But, it is a pretty similar form factor, which
was the point.

> Compare the beastie to this:
>
> http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html

I've seen pictures of the new iMac several times, and while I can't
say it's butt ugly, it's not really that attractive either. Certainly
the more minimalist approach makes things look cleaner, but it takes
a fair amount of desk space anyway, and all that space below the
screen is totally wasted. Plus the thing is kind of thick and clunky
looking to me. It's like they decided to really miniaturize it but
stopped halfway. (Not that I wouldn't take a new iMac G5 if someone
wanted to give me one. It's be a fair bit faster than the G4 tower
I'm using to type this message.)

- Logan
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:54:06 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:02:43 -0400, Logan Shaw wrote
(in article <Duc1d.17522$le.12089@fe2.texas.rr.com>):

> david wrote:
>
>> http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
>> rf5xlc&seg=hm
>>

>> If you're brave, click the enlarged view - God, that thing is a
>> beastie!!
>>
>> Time for Gateway to spend some of that shrinking cash reserve on some R
>> & D before it's too late.
>
> I'm not saying I think the Gateway thing looks pretty. It looks almost
> like a plastic lighted vanity mirror for the bathroom counter with
> drawers for makeup. But, it is a pretty similar form factor, which
> was the point.
>
>> Compare the beastie to this:
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html
>
> I've seen pictures of the new iMac several times, and while I can't
> say it's butt ugly, it's not really that attractive either. Certainly
> the more minimalist approach makes things look cleaner, but it takes
> a fair amount of desk space anyway, and all that space below the
> screen is totally wasted. Plus the thing is kind of thick and clunky
> looking to me. It's like they decided to really miniaturize it but
> stopped halfway. (Not that I wouldn't take a new iMac G5 if someone
> wanted to give me one. It's be a fair bit faster than the G4 tower
> I'm using to type this message.)
>
> - Logan

Well folks,

Also lets ask the question....what about drive noise? I have a combo
studio/control room. Both of my Macs are cabled out to other areas where
their noise can't be picked up by the mics.

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 3:58:21 PM

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<WsGdnfKRgprjO9jcRVn-tA@comcast.com>...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:02:43 -0400, Logan Shaw wrote
> (in article <Duc1d.17522$le.12089@fe2.texas.rr.com>):
>
> > david wrote:
> >
> >> http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
> >> rf5xlc&seg=hm
> >>

> >> If you're brave, click the enlarged view - God, that thing is a
> >> beastie!!
> >>
> >> Time for Gateway to spend some of that shrinking cash reserve on some R
> >> & D before it's too late.
> >
> > I'm not saying I think the Gateway thing looks pretty. It looks almost
> > like a plastic lighted vanity mirror for the bathroom counter with
> > drawers for makeup. But, it is a pretty similar form factor, which
> > was the point.
> >
> >> Compare the beastie to this:
> >>
> >> http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html
> >
> > I've seen pictures of the new iMac several times, and while I can't
> > say it's butt ugly, it's not really that attractive either. Certainly
> > the more minimalist approach makes things look cleaner, but it takes
> > a fair amount of desk space anyway, and all that space below the
> > screen is totally wasted. Plus the thing is kind of thick and clunky
> > looking to me. It's like they decided to really miniaturize it but
> > stopped halfway. (Not that I wouldn't take a new iMac G5 if someone
> > wanted to give me one. It's be a fair bit faster than the G4 tower
> > I'm using to type this message.)
> >
> > - Logan
>
> Well folks,
>
> Also lets ask the question....what about drive noise? I have a combo
> studio/control room. Both of my Macs are cabled out to other areas where
> their noise can't be picked up by the mics.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ty

i don't know how loud it'll be while not "idle" as i still haven't
seen/heard one in person, but from apple.com:

"Quieter than a whisper, the iMac G5 measures less than 25dB when idle
(at the same distance of 50cm, a whisper in a quiet room measures more
than 30dB)"
September 14, 2004 11:42:48 AM

In article <Duc1d.17522$le.12089@fe2.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> david wrote:
>
> > http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
> > rf5xlc&seg=hm
>
> > Compare the beastie to this:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html
>
> the thing is kind of thick and clunky
> looking to me. It's like they decided to really miniaturize it but
> stopped halfway. (Not that I wouldn't take a new iMac G5 if someone
> wanted to give me one. It's be a fair bit faster than the G4 tower
> I'm using to type this message.)

Thick and clunky?? It's 2" thick. It's the world's thinnest desktop
computer, except for those used by all the alien living among us, their
cool technology we never get to see cuz we're just backward, hillbilly
humans living like cavemen in their eyes, if they really have eyes ...
(I just finished an entire weekend working on a soundtrack for a horror
movie ;>)

And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
the power supply. No wall wart. The things supposed to be damn quiet as
well.

This form factor is what everyone will be shipping in a year or two
except for the low priced spreads.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 11:42:49 AM

david wrote:

> And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
> the power supply. No wall wart.

So it's gotta have AC, huh. And it looked so good. Heavy sigh.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 11:50:34 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:42:48 GMT, david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:

>In article <Duc1d.17522$le.12089@fe2.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
><lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> david wrote:
>>
>> > http://products.gateway.com/products/GConfig/prodDetail...
>> > rf5xlc&seg=hm
> >
>> > Compare the beastie to this:
>> >
>> > http://www.apple.com/imac/gallery/front.html
>>
>> the thing is kind of thick and clunky
>> looking to me. It's like they decided to really miniaturize it but
>> stopped halfway. (Not that I wouldn't take a new iMac G5 if someone
>> wanted to give me one. It's be a fair bit faster than the G4 tower
>> I'm using to type this message.)
>

>Thick and clunky?? It's 2" thick. It's the world's thinnest desktop
>computer, except for those used by all the alien living among us, their
>cool technology we never get to see cuz we're just backward, hillbilly
>humans living like cavemen in their eyes, if they really have eyes ...
>(I just finished an entire weekend working on a soundtrack for a horror
>movie ;>)
>
>And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
>the power supply. No wall wart. The things supposed to be damn quiet as
>well.
>
>This form factor is what everyone will be shipping in a year or two
>except for the low priced spreads.
>

>David Correia
>Celebration Sound
>Warren, Rhode Island
>
>CelebrationSound@aol.com
>www.CelebrationSound.com

Everything in one box? You have no idea of the deep joy you will
experience when one little bit of that goes wrong. You will stand
gazing at your one box, and wishing earnestly that you could - please
- just unplug the offending bit and replace it. You will go to your
local PC store and see all those replacement hard drives, power
supplies, cases and other bits costing almost no money and you will
think "but it is only two inches thick; that makes me a winner,
surely?".

Of course, if you really have so little space available... Still, the
choice is yours.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 11:50:35 AM

Don Pearce wrote:

> Everything in one box? You have no idea of the deep joy you will
> experience when one little bit of that goes wrong. You will stand
> gazing at your one box, and wishing earnestly that you could - please
> - just unplug the offending bit and replace it.

That's just what I said back about '67 when we saw those
utterly impossible big integrated circuits coming down the
pike of ideas. How in the hell would you ever debug one,
test one or fix anything. Silly idea.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:07:15 PM

>> Well folks,
>>
>> Also lets ask the question....what about drive noise? I have a combo
>> studio/control room. Both of my Macs are cabled out to other areas where
>> their noise can't be picked up by the mics.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ty
>
> i don't know how loud it'll be while not "idle" as i still haven't
> seen/heard one in person, but from apple.com:
>
> "Quieter than a whisper, the iMac G5 measures less than 25dB when idle
> (at the same distance of 50cm, a whisper in a quiet room measures more
> than 30dB)"

My G5 is one of the quieter Macs I've heard, but it's still too loud to be in
the same room with mics.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 12:42:18 PM

In article <4148a1e2.258608703@news.plus.net> donald@pearce.uk.com writes:

> Everything in one box? You have no idea of the deep joy you will
> experience when one little bit of that goes wrong. You will stand
> gazing at your one box, and wishing earnestly that you could - please
> - just unplug the offending bit and replace it.

The "offending bit" is the whole box. Just unplug it, toss it in the
trash, and get a new one.

Got backups?

Most people are in the mode of changing out a computer every couple of
years anyway, before things fail.

September 14, 2004 9:13:31 PM

Bob Cain wrote:

> david wrote:

> > And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
> > the power supply. No wall wart.

> So it's gotta have AC, huh. And it looked so good. Heavy sigh.

Well, Apple does also offer laptops. <g> But, yes, it does use
electricity.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1gk3lc7.1x3scvuf6xm5sN%walkinay@thegrid.net>,
hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
>Bob Cain wrote:
>
>> david wrote:
>
>> > And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
>> > the power supply. No wall wart.
>
>> So it's gotta have AC, huh. And it looked so good. Heavy sigh.
>
>Well, Apple does also offer laptops. <g> But, yes, it does use
>electricity.

How much? Is a 120 watt inverter enough?
--scott
September 14, 2004 9:13:33 PM

14 Sep 2004 13:22:47 -0400, kludge@panix.com suggested:
: In article <1gk3lc7.1x3scvuf6xm5sN%walkinay@thegrid.net>,
: hank alrich <walkinay@thegrid.net> wrote:
:>Bob Cain wrote:
:>
:>> david wrote:
:>
:>> > And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
:>> > the power supply. No wall wart.
:>
:>> So it's gotta have AC, huh. And it looked so good. Heavy sigh.
:>
:>Well, Apple does also offer laptops. <g> But, yes, it does use
:>electricity.
:
: How much? Is a 120 watt inverter enough?
: --scott

Looking at their specs list, it has a max continuous power rating of 180W.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:21:23 AM

david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:

> And inside that 2" is everything, screen, DVD burner, hard drive, even
> the power supply. No wall wart.

With optional Airport wireless networking and bluetooth keyboard and
mouse, the ONLY wire coming out of the thing is the AC cable...

> This form factor is what everyone will be shipping in a year or two
> except for the low priced spreads.

I wouldn't count on that.

They could have made all-in-one CRT machines, like the first generation
iMac, but they didn't (beside a few failed attemps). That would have
departed to their proven "box" design too much...

They could have imitated the sunflower iMac but hey: "Motherboards are
square, always been. We make square motherboards. No way we're gonna
make stinkin' round motherboards"...

In the current, 3rd generation iMac, power dissipation of the
innefficient Pentiums might prevent either small or silent operation of
the thing, compared to the iMac.

There's so much things you can improves on a 23 years old design...

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:40:57 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:50:34 GMT, donald@pearce.uk.com (Don Pearce)
wrote:

>Everything in one box? You have no idea of the deep joy you will
>experience when one little bit of that goes wrong. You will stand
>gazing at your one box, and wishing earnestly that you could - please
>- just unplug the offending bit and replace it. You will go to your
>local PC store and see all those replacement hard drives, power
>supplies, cases and other bits costing almost no money and you will
>think "but it is only two inches thick; that makes me a winner,
>surely?".

It would be a terrible shame to lose the interchange-ability of
ordinary PC computers. We take them for granted, but no other
consumer product has this. Can you fit Chevy wheels on your Ford?

The standardization of PCI slots, IDE, even power supplies, memory,
etc. is a wonderful anomaly on a world of proprietary everything.

Just say no. Well, maybe.

Chris Hornbeck
" ** this NG is chock full of metal midgets"
September 15, 2004 5:05:01 AM

In article <1gk4acs.ojouha45yruoN%deromax@hotmail.com>, Eric Desrochers
<deromax@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > This form factor is what everyone will be shipping in a year or two
> > except for the low priced spreads.
>
> I wouldn't count on that.

Not for the el cheepo boxes. But it's only a matter of time before
everyone is offering this design.

> They could have made all-in-one CRT machines, like the first generation
> iMac, but they didn't (beside a few failed attemps). That would have
> departed to their proven "box" design too much...

I think part of the reason for failure is the mantra for PC's low low
price. Costs a little more for a well designed, pretty box. Dell, a
humungo corporation spends peanuts on R & D. Which stockholders love.
How can you argue with their winning formula?

> In the current, 3rd generation iMac, power dissipation of the
> innefficient Pentiums might prevent either small or silent operation of
> the thing, compared to the iMac.

I read recently that the biggest problem for heat in upcoming Macs will
be the video cards. Pretty interesting.

And it looks like Intel is taking the AMD lead to multicore chips,
rather than strictly pursuing raw speed.

Besides, it would cost too much for the expensive materials and fit and
finish for most consumer PC buyers. So there'll be Wall Mart versions
as well. Probably with loud fans.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 7:35:44 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

> It would be a terrible shame to lose the interchange-ability of
> ordinary PC computers.

We abandoned that before liftoff, picking Macs. Oh, well... <g>

--
ha
Anonymous

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:35:44 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>> It would be a terrible shame to lose the interchange-ability of
>> ordinary PC computers.
>
>We abandoned that before liftoff, picking Macs. Oh, well... <g>

Fine for all you Girly-Men, but us He-Man butch PC doods will
fight to the .... what was the question?

But seriously, maybe the standardization of Firewire, etc. will
move things beyond the old/ current ATX format. Me; I'm poor/ cheap.
My current computer is still AT format. Good enough for me.)

Chris Hornbeck
" ** this NG is chock full of metal midgets"
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:14:18 PM

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 03:58:43 GMT, chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net suggested:
: wrote:
:
:>> It would be a terrible shame to lose the interchange-ability of
:>> ordinary PC computers.
:>
:>We abandoned that before liftoff, picking Macs. Oh, well... <g>
:
: Fine for all you Girly-Men, but us He-Man butch PC doods will
: fight to the .... what was the question?
:
: But seriously, maybe the standardization of Firewire, etc. will
: move things beyond the old/ current ATX format. Me; I'm poor/ cheap.
: My current computer is still AT format. Good enough for me.)

Supposedly there's already a new spec just about ready to replace ATX. Who
knows how soon we'll start seeing them on the market:

http://www.intel.com/update/contents/dt10031.htm

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
!