NTFS vs. FAT32 <--Speed & Performance

Fuzz009

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
I read the HDD FAQ so please prevent yourself from flaming. I also did a search in the forums for my question. I myself could not find the answer I was looking for.

Anyway.

I have a new 80 gig wd I want to install ntfs since xp will allow up to 32gig partion. Read in help.

Now I don't want to chop up the hd into a bunch of pieces.

I use my rig mainly for GAMING. So speed and performance is my main concern.

I see in the HD FAQ ntfs is reportly 5 % slower?

Where was this info taken from And will i see this 5% decrease in speed with ntfs?

I am a little weird when it comes to these retarded details but anything that can prevent maxium power seems to craze me?! I ponder back and forth and everybody seems to have something other to say.

Thanks for all replies and your time taken to read this.

Fuzz

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
NTFS is more stable but Fat32 is a faster...
but would U actually notice the difference, probably only if you run comparative sisoft/pcmark tests on clean installs...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well that 5% is a very rough average...
and honestly you wont notice unless you do benchmarks.

when i migrated to win2k i started off as part ntfs part fat32 on the same drive. and honestly i didnt notice a difference... except for all the advantages that ntfs brings.

now im running full ntfs, and every thing is fast and rosy.

just remember to do a defrag every now and again and you will be right.

<b>My CPU cooler is so Massive it bends Space and Time! :eek: </b>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I know little about the performance gain. But if you prefer large FAT32 drives under WXP it is possible without creating a lot of small partitions:

If you have access to a machine with Win98 or WinME, you can create your partitions on that. WXP can read a FAT32 partition large than 32GB. You just cant create it. Another way is to use partition magic to partition the drive under XP.