Double Harddrive Failure?

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
Ok so I guess I should start off by listing some specs that might be relevant to my problem. I have two 60gb 60gxp IBM deskstars and my motherboard is the asus A7M266. One, if not both of my hard drives, is making the ominous clicking sounds of death. I ran IBM's drive fitness test and it claims that nothing is wrong with either drive (I tend not to believe it). Also, dma transfer mode isn't working with either drive. My belief is that this is due to hard drive failure, as it refuses to be enabled in Windows XP, 98SE, or Linux Redhat 7.2. On top of all this my dvd-rom drive refuses to run in dma mode in Windows XP although I'm thinking this is just a driver issue, my burner on the other hand works fine. Ok so to wrap it all up, burner and dvd drive both work fine in dma mode except for the dvd drive in xp, both hard drives don't work in dma mode and instead run in pio mode, and at least one is making wonderful clicking noises, this is despite me switching cables and primary and secondary ide controllers and master and slave configurations. So am I right in assuming it's time to call IBM, or could it be something else?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
So am I right in assuming it's time to call IBM
Those clicking sounds alone should be enough to worry anybody. However, it is really very strange that the DFT report the drive as ok. What about SMART status can DFT report anything about that?

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
I'm not sure about the SMART status being reported by DFT but the report did give back the code saying there were no errors whatsoever. I also forgot to mention that at one point I did get an error message at bootup saying that hard drive failure was immenent for my master drive, but it only did this once. Also when I'm in the bios it recognizes fine that these things are supposed to run in dma mode, but the drives just refuse to.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
back up your data, and only run one at a time to see which one is making the noise. Odds are its going to die soon.
However, also check to make its not just a ball bearing going bad on ur cpu fan or something..a lot of people hear that and think their hard drive is going.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

Deus_Apollo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2002
Ok so it's not a constant clicking for either drive so maybe I'm just paranoid. The fan is definitely not clicking. All this, however, still doesn't explain why the drives are refusing to run in dma mode. Faulty motherboard maybe?