Far Cry: how to put HDR in a cfg file?

Last response: in Video Games
June 29, 2005 12:17:19 AM

ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
imho, even the weapons fire is different)
however, is there a way to put it in a cfg (or lua or whatever) file
so that it's enabled automatically with each start of FC?

thanks!
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

More about : cry put hdr cfg file

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:17:20 AM

Cole Turner wrote:
> ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
> imho, even the weapons fire is different)

Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?

-V
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:17:21 AM

On 28 Jun 2005 11:50:18 -0700, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Cole Turner wrote:
>> ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
>> imho, even the weapons fire is different)
>
>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?

High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
with and without it.
June 29, 2005 6:59:54 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:56:13 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 28 Jun 2005 11:50:18 -0700, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Cole Turner wrote:
>>> ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
>>> imho, even the weapons fire is different)
>>
>>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>
>High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
>are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
>working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
>uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
>with and without it.

The new 7800GTX fully supports HDR.

John Lewis
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:51:00 AM

Memnoch wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2005 11:50:18 -0700, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Cole Turner wrote:
>>
>>>ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
>>>imho, even the weapons fire is different)
>>
>>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>

> High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
> are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
> working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
> uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
> with and without it.

And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;

--
Walter Mitty
-

On 2005-06-28, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 28 Jun 2005 11:50:18 -0700, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Cole Turner wrote:
>>> ok, I can enter that console command to enable HDR (which looks great
>>> imho, even the weapons fire is different)
>>
>>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>
> High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
> are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
> working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
> uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
> with and without it.

I ran Rthdribl two nights ago (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/)
and nearly fell out of my chair. If you have a graphics card that
supports it, get this demo today.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

.... there came a great Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> flying, and
he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

>And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
>difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;

you really have to get your eyes checked, mister. The difference is
like night and day, here are comparison screenshots with/without HDR.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc4LDQ=
(lower part of that page)

and in motion the effect is even more pronounced, since the brightness
varies, as the effect of "eye getting accustomed to light" is being
emulated.

the effect is so good that I don't even mind that I have to deactivate
FSAA to make it work.

besides, the impact on framerate is marginal. I am running all details
maxed on 1280x1024 with 8xAIF (manually set in cfg file) plus HDR
level 7 on a P4 3,0 with a 6800 GT - gameplay is smooth.

--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:24:44 PM

SO.... the moral of this thread is this:

If you think you see the light at the end of the tunnel,
it's the torch on Lemmiwinks helmet.

Class dismissed.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:44:16 PM

Thusly Cole Turner <cole@nospam> Spake Unto All:

>>And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
>>difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;
>
>you really have to get your eyes checked, mister. The difference is
>like night and day, here are comparison screenshots with/without HDR.
>http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc4LDQ=
>(lower part of that page)

It looks like increased contrast and saturation to me, ie the very
opposite of actual increased dynamic range... Didn't nvidia have
something like that in their drivers years ago? Some setting which
increased contrast and saturation?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:19:04 PM

.... there came a great Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> flying, and he bore tidings beyond
hope, crying:

>It looks like increased contrast and saturation to me, ie the very
>opposite of actual increased dynamic range... Didn't nvidia have
>something like that in their drivers years ago? Some setting which
>increased contrast and saturation?

the "reality" is only visible in motion, i.e. when you - say - enter a
room with a light-source, coming from a darker area, the light will
blind you for a moment and then get "normal" - enemies standing in
front of lights illuminating their backside might not even be visible
if the light is strong enough (great effect!)
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
June 29, 2005 4:19:05 PM

On 2005-06-29, Cole Turner <cole@nospam> wrote:

> lights illuminating their backside might not even be visible
> if the light is strong enough (great effect!)

The sun shines out of their backside?! :D

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:46:19 PM

Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

>> lights illuminating their backside might not even be visible
>> if the light is strong enough (great effect!)
>
>The sun shines out of their backside?! :D

I think he means it shines INTO their backsides.

Hmm. That's not a whole lot better, is it?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:46:20 PM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:
>

>>>lights illuminating their backside might not even be visible
>>>if the light is strong enough (great effect!)
>>
>>The sun shines out of their backside?! :D
>

> I think he means it shines INTO their backsides.

That'd be the Lemmiwinks game.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:37:25 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Memnoch wrote:

>>> Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>>

>> High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few
>> companies
>> are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery.
>> Valve are
>> working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar
>> that
>> uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the
>> difference
>> with and without it.
>

> And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
> difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;

I absolutely entirely DISAGREE. The change is incredible, absolutely
incredible in FarCry.
June 29, 2005 8:37:26 PM

GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> said:

>I absolutely entirely DISAGREE. The change is incredible, absolutely
>incredible in FarCry.

wasn't that comment by the same "Walter Mitty" character who was doing
Steam commercials for Valve here? *g*
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:00:01 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:09:38 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> The new 7800GTX fully supports HDR.
>
>gee whiz, i wonder what your stock portfolio looks like?

In excellent shape, as a matter of fact.
Might mean that I could afford one of those toys
next time I build a new system.

John Lewis
- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:49:14 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 04:51:00 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:

>>>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>>

>> High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
>> are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
>> working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
>> uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
>> with and without it.
>
>And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
>difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that didn't I. From the demo I saw on the Nvidia
site I wasn't that impressed. I saw the difference all right but I didn't sit
there and think "Wow, this will change the way we think of games for ever".
I'm waiting for 'The Lost Coast' to be released so I can truly see what all
the fuss is about.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:52:13 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:55:20 +0200, Cole Turner <cole@nospam> wrote:

>... there came a great Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> flying, and
>he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:
>
>>And, if you are a mere human, in gameplay you'll notice jack shite
>>difference but moan about the frame rate hit :-;
>
>you really have to get your eyes checked, mister. The difference is
>like night and day, here are comparison screenshots with/without HDR.
>http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc4LDQ=

I must admit that does look rather good. And you say you have no serious frame
rate hit? Everything I have read about the subject says that there will be a
noticeable frame rate impact. Perhaps that isn't the case after all or it will
vary per game.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:53:40 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:00:01 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:09:38 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
>wrote:
>
>>John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The new 7800GTX fully supports HDR.
>>
>>gee whiz, i wonder what your stock portfolio looks like?
>>

>In excellent shape, as a matter of fact.
>Might mean that I could afford one of those toys
>next time I build a new system.

I'm so glad I binned that guy.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:55:00 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:06:26 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-06-28, Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>>Forgive my ignorance, but.... what is HDR?
>>
>> High Dynamic Range. Its some kind of new lighting method that a few companies
>> are working on and apparently gives more realistic looking imagery. Valve are
>> working on a level for HL2 called the Lost Coast or something similar that
>> uses it. Nvidia have some examples on their site so you can see the difference
>> with and without it.
>
>I ran Rthdribl two nights ago (http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/)
>and nearly fell out of my chair. If you have a graphics card that
>supports it, get this demo today.

I have an ATI X800 XT so I am sure I am okay but what are the actual
requirements for HDR? DirectX 9 support? PS 2.0?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:29:22 AM

active wrote:
> GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au> said:
>

>>I absolutely entirely DISAGREE. The change is incredible, absolutely
>>incredible in FarCry.
>

> wasn't that comment by the same "Walter Mitty" character who was doing
> Steam commercials for Valve here? *g*

Sigh.

Even though I included the "(-;" ...
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:05:09 AM

Thusly Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> wasn't that comment by the same "Walter Mitty" character who was doing
>> Steam commercials for Valve here? *g*
>
>Sigh.
>
>Even though I included the "(-;" ...

You've got a loyal fanclub, I'll give you that.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:52:36 AM

.... there came a great Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> flying, and he bore
tidings beyond hope, crying:

>I must admit that does look rather good. And you say you have no serious frame
>rate hit? Everything I have read about the subject says that there will be a
>noticeable frame rate impact. Perhaps that isn't the case after all or it will
>vary per game.

I didn't take measurements as such, but believe me, the game does not
"FEEL" slower.
from what I have read, the max framerate is lower, but the lower limit
sort of stays the same, i.e. you get - say - 30 - 70 instead of 32 -
100 frames, depending on the situation.
Also, remember that with HDR, FSAA doesn't work anymore on a GF6
series card, this "yields" more frames :)
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:53:04 AM

.... there came a great Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> flying, and he bore tidings beyond
hope, crying:

>Thusly Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>> wasn't that comment by the same "Walter Mitty" character who was doing
>>> Steam commercials for Valve here? *g*
>>
>>Sigh.
>>
>>Even though I included the "(-;" ...
>
>You've got a loyal fanclub, I'll give you that.

yes, he's a celebrity ;)
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:56:08 AM

.... there came a great Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> flying, and he bore
tidings beyond hope, crying:

>Oh yes, I forgot to mention that didn't I. From the demo I saw on the Nvidia
>site I wasn't that impressed. I saw the difference all right but I didn't sit
>there and think "Wow, this will change the way we think of games for ever".

I beg to differ ... apart from the nice optics, think of situations
like this:
you emerge from a tunnel (dark room / forest) into a clearing (bright
room) and encounter some baddies - however you are blinded for a split
section which allows them to waste you!
sounds minor, but makes for lots of atmosphere, really! the jungle in
Far Cry as well as some interior situations yield lots of stuff like
that! Even the weapons fire is blinding!
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:22:11 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:56:08 +0200, Cole Turner <cole@nospam> wrote:

>... there came a great Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> flying, and he bore
>tidings beyond hope, crying:
>
>>Oh yes, I forgot to mention that didn't I. From the demo I saw on the Nvidia
>>site I wasn't that impressed. I saw the difference all right but I didn't sit
>>there and think "Wow, this will change the way we think of games for ever".
>
>I beg to differ ... apart from the nice optics, think of situations
>like this:
>you emerge from a tunnel (dark room / forest) into a clearing (bright
>room) and encounter some baddies - however you are blinded for a split
>section which allows them to waste you!

There was a level in Half Life 2 that already does that but it doesn't use HDR
AFAIK. When you come out of the mines, there is a long uphill bit with a mine
cart travelling backwards and forwards. When you come to the mine exit you
can't see out until you get closer then the lighting fades away. That sounds
exactly like what you are describing.

>sounds minor, but makes for lots of atmosphere, really! the jungle in
>Far Cry as well as some interior situations yield lots of stuff like
>that! Even the weapons fire is blinding!
July 1, 2005 1:20:14 AM

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D jh8c19mfrg9u3bcn6r0t5q4p1sb5oofqs@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:56:08 +0200, Cole Turner <cole@nospam> wrote:
>

> There was a level in Half Life 2 that already does that but it doesn't use
> HDR
> AFAIK. When you come out of the mines, there is a long uphill bit with a
> mine
> cart travelling backwards and forwards. When you come to the mine exit you
> can't see out until you get closer then the lighting fades away. That
> sounds
> exactly like what you are describing.

There is indeed. The tunnels on the highway levels do the same. TBH that's
realistic enough for me. The HDR movies I've seen so far seem to exaggerate
the effect and just seem to white-out the screen. I'm here to be converted
though.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 3:14:01 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Memnoch wrote:

> There was a level in Half Life 2 that already does that but it doesn't use HDR
> AFAIK. When you come out of the mines, there is a long uphill bit with a mine
> cart travelling backwards and forwards. When you come to the mine exit you
> can't see out until you get closer then the lighting fades away. That sounds
> exactly like what you are describing.

HL2 did this in most of it's tunnel level transitions too, but this was in
fact just a trick to avoid rendering the outside. You can see in some user
made levels that the Source engine slows down in large areas without this.