Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Now, i'm not considering myself a computer expert, but I think I know enough about computers to make this statement. My friend has a terribly old and slow running computer. Its a pentium486 (I believe 120 Megahertz) and MAYBE 32MB EDO RAM. Now, assuming that the computer runs stably under good conditions, is it even feasible to believe that it can run Windows XP? When he told me he bought XP for his 486, I thought he was the dumbest person on the earth. I told him, quote, "Windows XP will run either very, very slowly on your computer or simply not work at all." Was I right?

"When there's a will, there's a way."

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
well i wouldn't put it on my parent's comp (600 celeron/64mb ram)

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What's a Pentium486? BTW, it just won't work. His system is far below the minimum requirements.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
If that was a project, I'd agree to try it out, but otherwise the guy is from the past I tell ya.
Right-clicking would take over a minute to work, fade techniques and all that...

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
he'd be lucky if it didn't burst into flames during instal.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
lol reminds me of a nite last year. my brother calls me up asking me if i could come over one of his friends house because his buddy got a new comp and wanted to get online. well i'm thinking i'll go over there give him a username/pass and have him do his CC stuff and all set... couldn't be farther from the truth. i get over there and we're dealing with a "hand-me-down" from his brother-in-law. a p75 w/8mb ram and 1.2gb drive? (not sure bout the drive size). now this display is maxing out at 256 colors@640x480@60hz(if that!) and he wants to go with the latest aol that was out at the time (5.0 or 6.0?) there was only like 50mb left on the drive so i had to go through and delete about half the drive so aol installer could swap hdd space, lol. took me 4 times of messing around and finally getting it to actually install w/out errors. needless to say there was no chance of the app actually running and later find out the guy blames me for messing up his computer!

I run duals because i multitask between notepad, outlook express and winamp :lol:

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
that computer would barely run winME or win2k, let alone XP.

You will need a faster processor and more ram.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

eden

Champion
That's the 3rd person today commenting on sigs...
Man must be sig day!
Hey guys CeBIT tommorow, Tbred may be there!!!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
So i'm comcluding that the overall census is that my friend is a poor liar or a very, very uninformed user? Heck, he said he "originally" was running windows 3.1. I wonder if he was just lying about using Windows XP to stand out. Heh, Pentium486 with Windows XP! phew :)

"When there's a will, there's a way."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Quetzacoatl on 03/12/02 11:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's friggin' hilarious. WinXP on a 486?

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. :wink:

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

dhlucke

Polypheme
If I'm not mistaken the minimum requirements for WinXP are a 233Mhz system with 64 MB of RAM. I don't think it will even allow the install with anything less.

Yep:
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp" target="_new">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp</A>

<font color=red>If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
if xp setup detects that you have less than 64 of ram then it will tell you not to be so stupid. i suppose you could put more ram in, install it then remove the ram, but lol it would probably take like a day to install, and another day to boot

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Linux can run on just about anything.
Oh, and it's also more stable, faster, and securer than any version of Windoze.

Check out Britney Spears' (o)(o) <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">hooters</A>!!!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I would SHOOT MY SELF if i had to use anything below 300mhz.. let alone a 486 BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH... god dam..Upgrade your SHEEEEETT!!

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

G

I've got WinXP Pro running on an old Pentium II-233Mhz machine with 320MB RAM, and it flies along. Games are rubbish most of the time, but at least I can use it for business orientated tasks.

486+32MB+WINXPPRO ?!?!?!?! Get the men in white coats !!!!

Oh my ******g GODDDDDDD !!!!!!!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have it on my laptop. p2 233 160 megs of ram, works pretty well. it gets pretty bad when two people are logged on.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.