Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 via Vista

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2010 5:10:10 AM

I've been told that it is possible to maintain all ones applications and settings when upgrading from XP to windows 7, if you first upgrade XP to Vista and then the Vista to Windows 7. Can anyone verify that? It would be more time consuming but given the amount of apps I have installed and need, it is the best choice in my view. I have an old Vista disc somewhere so there is no extra expense.

Anyone done this before? or heard of it working?
February 11, 2010 5:44:47 AM

Upgrades aint often recommended.. theyll slow down your computer a lot compared to a clean install of W7, i would recommend backing up your most important data, clean formatting with W7 and just using your backups and internet to get your programs back
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 6:04:10 AM

Big, big no! It might work, and in theory it should, but I wouldn't put any money on it. Point is, there have been many complaints of system performance taking a nosedive after an upgrade.

I suggest you backup your most important data, format, and do a clean install. You'd be surprised how much of what you really "need", turns out to be unnecessary when it comes to re-installing. Besides, it gives you the opportunity to install updated drivers for all your hardware, and updated versions of your critical apps that work better with Windows 7.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 6:22:23 AM

Fresh install is always best.

Besides, if later on you want a fresh install guess what steps you're gonna have to do (again)...
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 7:25:56 AM

upgrading can bring errors forward from the old OS to the new one, and can even create errors, to do a clean install of win7, (and upgrading is NOT recommended), backup(or make copies) of all your important data, download The Ultimate Boot CD, burn to a disk, Boot from The Ultimate Boot CD, choose hard drive tools, then wipe( one pass zero's, the 3rd one down I think)you have to destroy the ntldr.dll in the MBR, and format will not do this, wipe the drive and then reboot with your Win7 disk in Drive, and install
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 7:34:36 AM

Go for the fresh install!
Back-up all your data, clean wipe your hard disk & do a neat clean install!
Even though you have a upgrade disc of Windows 7, you can do a clean install using the same upgrade disc!
Please have a look at this article!

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_...

Hope this helps!
February 11, 2010 9:21:25 AM

Darn, will do a fresh install then. Thing is I just went through a mission reinstalling Windows XP a month ago, and re-setup all my software at great pain. Now that XP install is giving issues and I think I might as well just upgrade now rather than do XP again.

Thanks for the advice
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 12:44:28 PM

zapp_brannigan said:
....Now that XP install is giving issues and I think I might as well just upgrade now rather than do XP again...

I know you're already decided to go with a fresh install, but for anyone else who may read this: Never Ever upgrade a problem install. Fix it first.
!