HL2: How to adjust FOV?

I got Half Life2 as a gift when it first came out. The problem is that
unlike every other FPS I've played I get VERY bad motion sickness from
it. Apparently I'm not alone in that problem, and I heard a theory
that it was caused by the FOV of the game.

I know how to get at the console, but the FOV command doesn't tell me
what the current setting is and giving it a number doesn't seem to
change it. eg: FOV 120

Anyone here know what the syntax for the command is and what setting I
should use to reduce the motion sickness?

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO/steamKiller says.
He fears the truth!

nostromo

Thus spake Jeff Holinski <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca>, Wed, 29 Jun 2005
04:58:29 GMT, Anno Domini:

>I got Half Life2 as a gift when it first came out. The problem is that
>unlike every other FPS I've played I get VERY bad motion sickness from
>it. Apparently I'm not alone in that problem, and I heard a theory
>that it was caused by the FOV of the game.
>
>I know how to get at the console, but the FOV command doesn't tell me
>what the current setting is and giving it a number doesn't seem to
>change it. eg: FOV 120
>
>Anyone here know what the syntax for the command is and what setting I
>should use to reduce the motion sickness?
>

>Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
>Jeff H........
>

>Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO/steamKiller says.
>He fears the truth!

I think the default_fov nn command is the one. I use 90.

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

"Jeff Holinski" <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca> schreef in bericht
>I got Half Life2 as a gift when it first came out. The problem is that
> unlike every other FPS I've played I get VERY bad motion sickness from
> it. Apparently I'm not alone in that problem, and I heard a theory
> that it was caused by the FOV of the game.
>
> I know how to get at the console, but the FOV command doesn't tell me
> what the current setting is and giving it a number doesn't seem to
> change it. eg: FOV 120
>
> Anyone here know what the syntax for the command is and what setting I
> should use to reduce the motion sickness?
>

> Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
> Jeff H........
>

> Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO/steamKiller says.
> He fears the truth!

I have the same problem only with HL2, and I play FPS games competitively
as well =/ v. annoying!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:28:46 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Jeff Holinski <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca>, Wed, 29 Jun 2005
>04:58:29 GMT, Anno Domini:
>
>>I got Half Life2 as a gift when it first came out. The problem is that
>>unlike every other FPS I've played I get VERY bad motion sickness from
>>it. Apparently I'm not alone in that problem, and I heard a theory
>>that it was caused by the FOV of the game.
>>
>>I know how to get at the console, but the FOV command doesn't tell me
>>what the current setting is and giving it a number doesn't seem to
>>change it. eg: FOV 120
>>
>>Anyone here know what the syntax for the command is and what setting I
>>should use to reduce the motion sickness?
>>

>>Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>>
>>Jeff H........
>>

>>Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO/steamKiller says.
>>He fears the truth!
>
>I think the default_fov nn command is the one. I use 90.

I tried the default_fov command. I can see the background change when
I type in the command, but as soon as I close the console it snaps
back to 75 degrees. :(

What's the trick for making commands stick when you close the console?

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO/steamKiller says.
He fears the truth!

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 02:08:56 GMT, Jeff Holinski <nospam_Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote:

>|>I think the default_fov nn command is the one. I use 90.
>|

>|I tried the default_fov command. I can see the background change when
>|I type in the command, but as soon as I close the console it snaps
>|back to 75 degrees. :(
>|

>|What's the trick for making commands stick when you close the console?
>|

>|Jeff H........

I had that happen too until I used the command:

fov 90

Pluvious

nostromo

Thus spake Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>, Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:51:11
-0700, Anno Domini:

>>|I tried the default_fov command. I can see the background change when
>>|I type in the command, but as soon as I close the console it snaps
>>|back to 75 degrees. :(
>>|

>>|What's the trick for making commands stick when you close the console?
>>|

>>|Jeff H........
>

>I had that happen too until I used the command:
>
>fov 90
>

>Pluvious

Is there a config file one can change to include these commands permanently?
I've just added these 2 lines to the end of ..\half-life
2\hl2\cfg\config.cfg

default_fov 90
fov 90

Let's see what happens...

--

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:42:17 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>|Thus spake Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>, Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:51:11
>|-0700, Anno Domini:

>|>>|
>|>>|
>|>>|
>|>>|
>|>>|

>|>I had that happen too until I used the command:
>|>
>|>fov 90
>|>

>|>Pluvious
>|>

>|Is there a config file one can change to include these commands permanently?
>|I've just added these 2 lines to the end of ..\half-life
>|2\hl2\cfg\config.cfg
>|
>|default_fov 90
>|fov 90
>|
>|Let's see what happens...

Hmm... I had a chance to test my answer and it didn't work. :( Fov xx doesn't
work either. I think you have to enable cheats first (sv_cheats 1). Sorry I
can't be more help..

Pluvious

nostromo

Thus spake Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>, Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:07:02
-0700, Anno Domini:

>>|Is there a config file one can change to include these commands permanently?
>>|I've just added these 2 lines to the end of ..\half-life
>>|2\hl2\cfg\config.cfg
>>|
>>|default_fov 90
>>|fov 90
>>|
>>|Let's see what happens...
>

>Hmm... I had a chance to test my answer and it didn't work. :( Fov xx doesn't
>work either. I think you have to enable cheats first (sv_cheats 1). Sorry I
>can't be more help..
>

>Pluvious

No worries mate - I'll have another sniff around. I'm just back to the game
since April at AntiCitizen 1 - just wanna complete the damn thing now!

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:07:02 -0700, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>Hmm... I had a chance to test my answer and it didn't work. :( Fov xx doesn't
>work either. I think you have to enable cheats first (sv_cheats 1). Sorry I
>can't be more help..
>

>Pluvious

Turns out that if you enable cheats, (sv_cheats 1) the FOV 90 command
works. Better yet, it solved my motion sickness problem. I can finally
play the game without getting dizzy. :)